By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's the Best Year the Switch had?

Best Year for the Switch

Mar 2017-Mar 2018 (BOTW, ... 37 77.08%

Mar 2018-Mar 2019(SSBU, L... 0 0%

Mar 2019-Mar 2020(SMM2, L... 4 8.33%

Mar 2020-Mar 2021(ACNH, S... 0 0%

Mar 2021-Mar 2022(Metroid... 3 6.25%

Mar 2022-Mar 2023(XB3, SV... 4 8.33%

Total:48

Easiest question ever: 2017. Huge creative and content-complete AAA games were coming out frequently (some of them without DLC, believe it or not!), nindies were well-curated, I was actually excited for Directs, my joy-con wasn't drifting... honestly feels like another life.

2019 is a distant second place.

B O I

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

This is why a strong year 1 would be very important for the Switch successor ... get a strong year 1 and the rest of the gen is like walking downhill instead of climbing uphill with a poor 1st 6-12 months.

Switch was on cruise control because the first 8 months is particular had 4 huge sellers and system defining games (Zelda: BOTW, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey). 

Do the hard work early and you see the benefits of it for years to come. 

They seem well positioned for Switch 2's first year to be similar; both the 3D Mario and Kart teams are long overdue to deliver their next game, both are probably being saved to get the successor off the ground.

Unpopular opinion but 2021 for me. The 1-2-3 hit of Mario golf, pokemon snap and miitopia, then Cruis'n blast and Wario ware soon after, followed by superstars and BDSP in the winter. Also, given the time scale options in the poll, legends Arceus and Rune factory 5 also fit within that timespan. (Also probably unpopular opinion but i really enjoyed Mario Golf and still play it occasionally even now). 2017 would be a close 2nd imo.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

2017 for releases is one of the greatest year for any console, ever. Not just the Switch. It had not one, but two killer apps! Most consoles only have 1 or no killer apps. Mario Kart 8 and Breath of the Wild by themselves win the question. Then, there was also the Switch itself, those games wouldn’t have been as attractive to gamers if they were stuck on Wii U, a console most Nintendo fans didn’t want to play games on.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Having a hard time deciding between 2017 and 2019

2017 was obviously important because the Switch had one of the strongest console launches in the history of ever. Two gigatons (SMO, XB2), but BotW was a teraton release.

2019 just had goodness from start to finish, beginning with Tales of Vesperia, and my two favorite Switch games other than Zelda, namely Dragon Quest XI and Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

2022 (since this poll appears to be based on fiscal years rather than calendar years) was a strong year for being so late in the Switch's market life, with XB3, and Bayo 3. If it's FY 2022-2023, then Fire Emblem Engage is my favorite game of this period.

Around the Network

For me Switch has had three great years (2017, 2019, 2022) one good year (2021) and two weak years. (2018. 2020)

2017 easily, it got a heavy hitter every two months

2019 was fantastic but not on the same level

2022 was also fantastic, would've been the console's best year if it had Metroid Prime remastered and Zelda TOTK on the same year as well.

This year looks astonishingly good, with already 2 GOTY contenders, so if they release a new Super Mario game, it will be the console's best year

2017 and 2023 its always good when a new zelda is coming out