By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation |OT| Playing Astro Bot on the Horizon Until Dawn

This thing could have easily passed a million concurrent players on PS5 and PC combined if it weren't for those issues. It just keeps climbing. Possibly the biggest popularity gap between a game and its predecessor.

Huge congrats to Arrowhead and Sony.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
EricHiggin said:

I saw the leaks but XB has been toying with the handheld idea for a long time now, which they mentioned a while back, so I'm not all that convinced they'll go for it just yet. I'd say I'm more 70/30 they won't right now, but if hardware sales keep dropping and GP doesn't take off, they'll need another way to bring gamers in and a handheld could help.

A 4TF handheld next gen wouldn't be bad as long as it had reasonable enough battery life. Then might as well have a 12TF S2 and 30-36TF X2? S to X is 3X power now. Rumors say PS5 Pro should be around 20TF, so 30-40TF next gen shouldn't be out of the question. Would depend on how much of a gap the devs are ok with. Maybe if XB gets the RAM allotment right this time they could make it work.

I'd still shoot for 1 handheld and 1 console in that case. Make sure the console hits $400 and make sure it's worth every penny, whatever the performance.

Just a small correction to your numbers, remember RDNA3 and beyond have double FP32 instructions per INT32 just like Ampere and Ada. Since most games are bottlenecked by the latter that doesn't mean much in practice. The 7600 XT is 20 TF in theory but performs just like a PS5-tier GPU, so I doubt that will be the case for the PS5 Pro (looking into it now, people forgot to multiply the rumored 60 CUs by 2 again when estimating specs).

I don't think you can a 7600M and underclock it to the degree it would make a reasonable battery life with Series S-like power (~ 8 RDNA3 TFlops) but you probably could if it were 5/4 nm, so that's already doable.

I didn't take that into account actually. Didn't even come to mind. Probably like you said, because it doesn't really matter at the moment. Plus it would make it more confusing to some for no reason really. It would be like using Vega's RPM and saying that gave PS4 Pro like 8TF or whatever, which wasn't really the case, and only rarely might some devs go to the trouble of putting it to real good use getting considerable extra performance from it. The rest of the time, in most cases, it might've added a slight bump to performance but that's it.

As for the handheld itself, 4 old TFs or 8 new TFs, let's just say 4TF to make it easy, should be doable by 2026 if XB wanted to launch that early, but it might be a little more costly that early, maybe. If they wait until 2028, 4TF should totally be doable with decent battery life.

BasilZero said:
twintail said:

btw, anyone have recommendations for a cheaper alternative PS4 controller? Got drift on the left analog, which is not so bad for GoT, but playing Lego 2K Drive with my kid is a painful experience sine advancing through the story is mainly dependant on my ability to win the races but the camera movement makes drifting a nightmare LOL

This for a PS4 right?

If you have other controllers like a Dualsense, you can use this

https://www.mayflash.com/product/magic_s_pro_usb_wireless_controller_adapter.html

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YRBZZQ3?ref=myi_title_dp&th=1

I use the PS3 equivalent and have been using it to use my Dualshock 4 for my PS3 when my PS3 controller got drift. Havent had any issues with it and highly recommend it.

I take it this means you don't want to attempt to fix it?

I had drift or something like it start around Oct on my PS4. Both sticks. It was minor, but slowly kept getting worse, so in early Jan I tore down the controller and blew out the sticks and potentiometers and then very carefully cleaned the potentiometers. Put it all back together and it's been working like new ever since. I know they say that sometimes that fix will last, and other times you'll only get a few months before it starts to drift again, but so far so good for me.

There's lots of vids online about how to do it. Complete teardowns step by step. If you're good or ok with that kind of stuff then it might be worth a try. I kinda had extra incentive because I added a new high capacity battery a year ago and didn't want to just go out and get a new controller.

You can also buy new sticks and replace them, but that requires a teardown as well and soldering skills. Without some extra soldering tools, it's a bit trickier to accomplish but still doable. Not all sticks are created equal either apparently, so you can end up with a different feel depending on what you buy.

While an anecdote, I have friends whose gaming horizon's are limited to CS and MOBAs that are talking about Helldivers so the popularity jump sounds pretty massive.

Everyone on my friends list is on Helldivers 2 lol.

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:

I take it this means you don't want to attempt to fix it?

I had drift or something like it start around Oct on my PS4. Both sticks. It was minor, but slowly kept getting worse, so in early Jan I tore down the controller and blew out the sticks and potentiometers and then very carefully cleaned the potentiometers. Put it all back together and it's been working like new ever since. I know they say that sometimes that fix will last, and other times you'll only get a few months before it starts to drift again, but so far so good for me.

There's lots of vids online about how to do it. Complete teardowns step by step. If you're good or ok with that kind of stuff then it might be worth a try. I kinda had extra incentive because I added a new high capacity battery a year ago and didn't want to just go out and get a new controller.

You can also buy new sticks and replace them, but that requires a teardown as well and soldering skills. Without some extra soldering tools, it's a bit trickier to accomplish but still doable. Not all sticks are created equal either apparently, so you can end up with a different feel depending on what you buy.

Hmm, I might look into that, the only game that I think I cant play anymore even with my workaround is Sly Cooper 4 cause it requires Sixaxis controls

I still have my Dualshock 3 somewhere lol

-Adonis- said:

Everyone on my friends list is on Helldivers 2 lol.

No surprise, its a huge success - steam concurrent users reached 400,000+ today.

I'm nearly to New Year's Eve in Persona 3 Reload. I should finish the game a little after or even before FF7 Rebirth launches.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

I'm nearly to New Year's Eve in Persona 3 Reload. I should finish the game a little after or even before FF7 Rebirth launches.

I had to let that one for later. I'm still on Granblue/Tekken and Helldivers 2.

I'd play HD2 if it was SP.

Anyway. After finishing Persona 3 Reload and Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth. I went back to Relink to play chapter 0 but not before grinding levels for Siegfried. His red armor with helmet looks so sinister and I love it!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

I'd play HD2 if it was SP.

Anyway. After finishing Persona 3 Reload and Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth. I went back to Relink to play chapter 0 but not before grinding levels for Siegfried. His red armor with helmet looks so sinister and I love it!

Does it not have SP?

Also what about the first one?