By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I don't recall hearing about this case:

Florida Teacher Under Investigation For Showing Disney Movie ‘Strange World’ That Includes A Gay Character

Apparently there's a gay character shown looking at someone of the same gender and giggling. No kissing or even holding hands?

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:

I don't recall hearing about this case:

Florida Teacher Under Investigation For Showing Disney Movie ‘Strange World’ That Includes A Gay Character

Apparently there's a gay character shown looking at someone of the same gender and giggling. No kissing or even holding hands?

I absolutely love Cody and the stuff he does is very important...but every time I watch his show and see even like 5 seconds of Tim Pool or Matt Walsh I genuinely feel like stabbing the next person I see. such repugnant, disgusting people are somehow not only allowed to say the things they do but actually get shockingly large followings of incels and other gross people. 

I'm all for free speech but these conservative nutjobs really need to see more consequences for their actions and words. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

You know what's sad? That it legitimately takes a damn near 30 minute video to explain why 'What is a woman' is such a nonsensical, rage-baiting question.

In general, arguing politics of any sort nowadays boils down to the right demanding a simple, straightforward answer, not getting one, and claiming victory over the confused leftists rather than accepting the reality that their understanding of the issues are oversimplified and devoid of logic.

"What is a Woman" isn't as simple as 'someone with X chromosomes', because 'woman' could refer to cultural identity or biological factors. What determines this can change depending on where you're asking it, or what you are trying to find out. and much like most language (As well as science), our understanding of these factors grows with time and our definitions can be fluid. So a 'woman' could be anything across a spectrum of viable answers.

But that's hard to share with your buddies on tiktok or in meme form so the more complicated, right answer is far harder to share and convey than the simple, potentially wrong answer.

and the fact that we live in a world where right wing reactonaries like Ben Shapiro or Matt Walsh can make documentaries 'owning the libs' by making them look like fools to their base, because progressive types understand that it's not as simple as a 6-word definition, upsets me. It bothers me that half our world genuinely believes oversimplifying issues and actively laughing at anyone who tries to explain reality in more detail is a good thing. And it bothers me more that people can't see this for the ignorance it is.

And that's why the right are making so much ground and gaining so much traction with their anti-trans rhetoric. IT's not that it's right - be it morally or factually - it's that it's simple and simple rage is easier to share and perpetuate than correct nuance, understanding, and empathy. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:

You know what's sad? That it legitimately takes a damn near 30 minute video to explain why 'What is a woman' is such a nonsensical, rage-baiting question.

In general, arguing politics of any sort nowadays boils down to the right demanding a simple, straightforward answer, not getting one, and claiming victory over the confused leftists rather than accepting the reality that their understanding of the issues are oversimplified and devoid of logic.

"What is a Woman" isn't as simple as 'someone with X chromosomes', because 'woman' could refer to cultural identity or biological factors. What determines this can change depending on where you're asking it, or what you are trying to find out. and much like most language (As well as science), our understanding of these factors grows with time and our definitions can be fluid. So a 'woman' could be anything across a spectrum of viable answers.

But that's hard to share with your buddies on tiktok or in meme form so the more complicated, right answer is far harder to share and convey than the simple, potentially wrong answer.

and the fact that we live in a world where right wing reactonaries like Ben Shapiro or Matt Walsh can make documentaries 'owning the libs' by making them look like fools to their base, because progressive types understand that it's not as simple as a 6-word definition, upsets me. It bothers me that half our world genuinely believes oversimplifying issues and actively laughing at anyone who tries to explain reality in more detail is a good thing. And it bothers me more that people can't see this for the ignorance it is.

And that's why the right are making so much ground and gaining so much traction with their anti-trans rhetoric. IT's not that it's right - be it morally or factually - it's that it's simple and simple rage is easier to share and perpetuate than correct nuance, understanding, and empathy. 

I don't know that you need a 30 minute video.

But yeah, this is an issue that I've thought a lot about. 

For a lot of issues, the right wing position tends to be simpler. But often even when they're not simpler, they're still easier to explain, because they're the default. 

Like for health care, even though the left wing position simplifies the healthcare system, you're cutting down a lot of the complexity, it takes a lot more effort to explain why it should be changed. You have to put in a lot of effort to explain why it's beneficial. The 10's of thousands of dollars they are currently paying for healthcare is much easier for them to understand than paying less than that to the government. 

And when things aren't as simple, there's obviously complications. 

On Gender/Sex, right wingers are using the basic definitions you learned in 8th grade biology class. XY=Male, XX=Female.

And the full science picture is pretty much this:

It's why walls and guns are easy policy for people. Walls can be understood. Trying to tackle these issues from an economic perspective? How does that make any sense?

Last edited by the-pi-guy - on 14 July 2023

In the wake of Dobbs v. Jackson, there has been a 100% increase in calls to the National Domestic Violence Hotline about reproductive coercion.

"When the Supreme Court issued its decision on Dobbs v. Jackson last year, it put an end to federally legalized abortion. Experts across the nation warned the decision would put the physical and mental health of millions of people in jeopardy.

Now, the consequences are becoming more clear.

Since the Supreme Court decision, the National Domestic Violence Hotline has seen a 100% increase in calls about reproductive coercion, a form of domestic violence in which an abuser attempts to control their partner's body and reproductive agency, according to PBS News Hour.

Reproductive coercion includes things like hiding a partner's birth control or sabotaging their contraception, PBS reported.

Alongside the increase in these reports, PBS also noted that the hotline is now receiving upwards of 3,000 calls per day, the highest volume they've seen since its founding in 1996."

Funny how that works. Almost like this was all about controlling women's bodies all along.

Around the Network

What Christian nationalists really want is a world where girls are pipelined straight from their parents' homes into a husband's home, preferably as virgins, by cutting off reproductive health access and opportunities for financial independence for women.

So, Ron Desantis is really just having a fun lately. I believe he has learned something from DJT when it comes to stuff that may look bad for him but you just double down on it even if you might believe it was a mistake. What I am talking about is the Florida Board of Education trying to rewrite history, especially black history. So, the controversy is a little line about Slavery providing needed job skills to the Slaves as it seems not only Florida, but I believe this was also in Texas where they try to paint Slavery in the best light as possible. It's a nice way to say that Slavery wasn't all bad, it was instead a way to uplift black people with needed job skills they would not have if not for being slaves.

I don't understand why they are so preoccupied with hurting black people. Is there really nothing else for these grown people to do? Are they just a bunch of retired racists with too much free time?

They act like they are obligated to spread as much hate a possible. It's really disturbing. Didn't they just OD on Trans and LGBT hate?

Why not focus on making people's life... better.

Machiavellian said:

So, Ron Desantis is really just having a fun lately. I believe he has learned something from DJT when it comes to stuff that may look bad for him but you just double down on it even if you might believe it was a mistake. What I am talking about is the Florida Board of Education trying to rewrite history, especially black history. So, the controversy is a little line about Slavery providing needed job skills to the Slaves as it seems not only Florida, but I believe this was also in Texas where they try to paint Slavery in the best light as possible. It's a nice way to say that Slavery wasn't all bad, it was instead a way to uplift black people with needed job skills they would not have if not for being slaves.

What parts in particular do you find objectionable?

https://www.fldoe.org/academics/standards/subject-areas/social-studies/african-amer-hist.stml

KLAMarine said:
Machiavellian said:

What parts in particular do you find objectionable?

https://www.fldoe.org/academics/standards/subject-areas/social-studies/african-amer-hist.stml

Perhaps you should review the new standards they just approved:

https://www.fldoe.org/core/fileparse.php/20653/urlt/6-4.pdf

Check out page six.

'Instruction includes how slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be
applied for their personal benefit'