By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

6-3 on immunity case. - "The court holds that a former president has absolute immunity for his core constitutional powers."

"So the Supreme Court isn't going to make that determination now. Instead, it will send the case back to the lower courts for further proceedings, although it does offer some guidance."

So now courts will have to decide what is an official act and what is an unofficial act, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - 3 days ago

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

6-3 on immunity case. - "The court holds that a former president has absolute immunity for his core constitutional powers."

"So the Supreme Court isn't going to make that determination now. Instead, it will send the case back to the lower courts for further proceedings, although it does offer some guidance."

So now courts will have to decide what is an official act and what is an unofficial act, Lol.

Its pretty much what I expected.  Going on party lines and with no real guidance on what exactly would be considered official and non-official act.  Are we talking about what is defined in the constitution as to a president defined powers and or is it anything he doesn't declare as personal or could be be a combination of both as to how that is defined. Lol, its going to be a mess.

Machiavellian said:
Ryuu96 said:

Its pretty much what I expected.  Going on party lines and with no real guidance on what exactly would be considered official and non-official act.  Are we talking about what is defined in the constitution as to a president defined powers and or is it anything he doesn't declare as personal or could be be a combination of both as to how that is defined. Lol, its going to be a mess.

Democrats = Unofficial.

Republicans = Official.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - 3 days ago

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Machiavellian said:
Ryuu96 said:

Roberts made it pretty clear that all actions relating to what is defined by the Constitution have absolute immunity. This means that when Trump's lawyer said in Court "you can only convict the president for ordering the murder of his opponent if he is impeached", everybody was saying "thats crazy, he should be able to be convicted" except for the Republicans on the SC who said "that's crazy, he should never be able to be convicted even if he is impeached. Absolute immunity baby!" 

The fuzzy zone is the rest, which Roberts said had the strong presumption of immunity. So yeah, courts are going to decide what the exceptions to that are, but most of the insane shit people have been laughing about is now law. 

Around the Network

Opinion seems nuts and I haven't seen anything to convince me that there's really any action that would be unofficial. You can't consider the president's motives, you can't consider the legality of his actions, so what the hell would you consider to determine if something is official? Seems like just about everything would be within "the outer parameter of his duties". If he tasked the FBI to kill Joe Biden because he's a terrorist how would this be deemed unofficial?

With absolutely zero interest in dropping just another sarcastic comment:

It's funny.

All the buzz and hush about defending the values of democracy, holding them up, citing historical events, adressing the nation speeches, et cetera, et cetera.

And yet, in 2024, you've got the Supreme Court over-ruling all of this biblical collection of long-winding events, memorial, annual speeches, foreign visits, tearing down walls, fighting autocracy.

Methaphorically speaking, with today's verdict, even over-ruling every Impeachment process in US history.

Even blessing and pardoning the rejection of a US President to accept voting results of the public. Arguably THE most valueable ingridient a Democracy's got.

After World War 1, World War 2 and Cold War, it only took people in power just another 20 years to forget the lessons we've learned.

And it only took people another 20 years to vote for these people in power for them to return to the same mistakes we will, once again, suffer from all.

I don't know what the actual consequences of this will be.

I've found the arguments I've seen on why this is actually good, to be extremely problematic. 

A top comment on r/conservative I saw was basically "the president shouldn't be punished for doing his job". Counterpoint, if you hire a janitor to clean a building, and he cleans it with some toxic formula that makes the building uninhabitable, he should not get a free pass on that because "he was just doing his job". I am a firm believer that no job should hold immunity. Anyone can do wrong in their job and anyone should be held accountable for it. 

In a response to Sotomayor saying that the president could kill their political opponents, I saw a number of other comments elsewhere that suggested that "not every order would have to be followed". Which is insane to me, you really have to think that through. These people effectively are okay with this ruling on the basis that they have faith that it won't be abused. 

A lot of comments are propping up the "official acts" portion.

We shouldn't be blindly giving the president more power. 

the-pi-guy said:

I don't know what the actual consequences of this will be.

I've found the arguments I've seen on why this is actually good, to be extremely problematic. 

A top comment on r/conservative I saw was basically "the president shouldn't be punished for doing his job". Counterpoint, if you hire a janitor to clean a building, and he cleans it with some toxic formula that makes the building uninhabitable, he should not get a free pass on that because "he was just doing his job". I am a firm believer that no job should hold immunity. Anyone can do wrong in their job and anyone should be held accountable for it. 

In a response to Sotomayor saying that the president could kill their political opponents, I saw a number of other comments elsewhere that suggested that "not every order would have to be followed". Which is insane to me, you really have to think that through. These people effectively are okay with this ruling on the basis that they have faith that it won't be abused. 

"The president shouldn't be punished for doing his job" is the exact same argument that is made for granting police officers qualified immunity. Qualified immunity is supposed to protect police from prosecution in case they absolutely had to shoot a dangerous suspect, or from lawsuits over wrongful deaths and other collateral damage. Instead, it's become a license for officers to not get prosecuted for shooting innocent people and other abuses like civil asset forfeiture.

Interestingly, a lot of the more conscientious members of Trump's administration did work to sabotage his worst impulses, most famously with Mark Esper refusing to carry out Trump's orders to order active military to fire on DC protesters with live ammunition. Republicans were calling for Esper and Mark Milley to be thrown in prison for refusing to obey the president's orders.

Recruits in all branches of the military are taught that it is their duty to refuse to obey any clearly unlawful order. The problem is, they also have to be prepared to prove to a court-martial panel that the order they were given was unlawful. If they can't prove it was unlawful to the satisfaction of the military judges, their careers are trash and they can even get a discharge that basically makes them a felon in civilian life, plus the stigma of having a Dishonorable or Bad Conduct Discharge on their DD-214s, which will instantly cause any job applications they fill out to be dropped in the trash/recycle bin of a hiring manager's computer. Their enlistment oaths also say that they will obey the orders of the President of the United States and of the officers appointed over them, nothing about "unlawful." Their first duty is to defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic, which is done in place of swearing allegiance to the King/Queen in the UK. But again, whether their actions defended the constitution would be determined by a court-martial or a civilian judge.

Last edited by SanAndreasX - 2 days ago

Alright, I assume RFK Jr's campaign will finally be killed in light of recent news, right? Lol.

This dude is a fucking loon, I still think the vast majority only support him cause he's a Kennedy without knowing how insane he is.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - 2 days ago