By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation State of Play February 23 2023

BasilZero said:

I hope we get some good third party announcements/surprises.

Hoping for FF9 remake or FFTactics Rebirth announcement sometime this year if not at this show.

I would presume they don't announce a big ff7-style remake until they are done with 7. Or at least close to releasing the last part. But 9 as a remake would be weird. I love the game, don't get me wrong, but the characters have so outlandish, weird designs, that it is a bit hard to imagine in ps5 graphics. Some chars in ff7 are weird as well though, so who knows. If I could choose, I would pick ff8, or even 6.

I just really hope that 16 turns out good. Perhaps we see that in the SoP. Hasn't the director said, that the next trailer would not be long away? Perhaps that is just wishful thinking.

Around the Network
JuliusHackebeil said:

I would presume they don't announce a big ff7-style remake until they are done with 7. Or at least close to releasing the last part. But 9 as a remake would be weird. I love the game, don't get me wrong, but the characters have so outlandish, weird designs, that it is a bit hard to imagine in ps5 graphics. Some chars in ff7 are weird as well though, so who knows. If I could choose, I would pick ff8, or even 6.

I just really hope that 16 turns out good. Perhaps we see that in the SoP. Hasn't the director said, that the next trailer would not be long away? Perhaps that is just wishful thinking.

I dont think IX's remake is gonna be as big as VII's remake was and I'm sure its gonna be a different team too considering IX's dev group was different from VII's even during the PS1 era.

Its likely gonna be one game with remade models kinda like FFVIII's remaster but a bit more with the environments and all - not just a remaster.

I think its gonna be closer to how Metroid Prime remaster is like for the Switch.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be sleeping during this and since it's my kids day off, will probably only get around to it in the afternoon.

I know it's an SoP, but hoping for some exciting announcements *cough MGS remake* . Enjoy everyone!

That was nowhere near as good as the last couple and overall kinda lackluster but Humanity was a nice highlight. The movement in Suicide Squad looks nice but it's not really exciting enough for 15 minutes. Out of the three presentations the last few weeks this was the weakest but not awful and there should be a more exciting Playstation one in just a few months or so.

I thought it was pretty good. Relatively.

I never have high expectations for State of Play. They're not like Directs. Sony save anything worthwhile for showcases. They're not announcing first party games in these.

Nice to finally get a release date for Baldurs Gate 3 leaving early access and getting a console release. RE4 looks good.

Suicide Squad though... Yikes.

Around the Network

Average State of Play overall but in line with what I expected.

Wasn't sold on Suicide Squad whatsoever. The traversal looks fun, but everything else, specifically the gameplay, looked clunky. Some of the indies looked neat, but as it is in the PlayStation ecosystem, will mostly be ignored in favor of the bigger, AAA blockbusters. Baldur's Gate 3 coming to PS5 as a timed/console exclusive is a nice surprise. Sony is doing a great job in building the value proposition for PlayStation Plus. I hope to see the occasional indie like Tchia being dropped on there every now and then.

5/10. Would be a higher score if Suicide Squad delivered, or if Sony gave us one more notable reveal. 

Not a good State of Play. Resident Evil 4 does look incredible as always. I may have interest in Baldurs Gate 3, I haven't played the others but did enjoy the Divinity game they made. Nice to get some Playstation Plus new early for March, I won't have to buy the $10 upgrade for Uncharted Legacy with it coming and Ghostwire Tokyo is a good addition that I'm glad I held off buying.

Looking at the highlights - didnt look like there was anything substantial.

Amazing how lazy Bamco is remastering games that are already available on ALL platforms at a cheap price during sales too....

Zippy6 said:

I thought it was pretty good. Relatively.

I never have high expectations for State of Play. They're not like Directs. Sony save anything worthwhile for showcases. They're not announcing first party games in these.

Nice to finally get a release date for Baldurs Gate 3 leaving early access and getting a console release. RE4 looks good.

Suicide Squad though... Yikes.

Like most SoPs, I thought the content etc was fine. A lot of variety, good to see more VR games being highighted. Tchia is the next indie game Sony wants to push.

Baldurs Gate coming to PS5 is a very nice surprise. I've mentioned before that Sony should be looking at Larian studios, and if that is jut by providing support/ finace for PS5 versions of their games, that's a great move. RE4 looks more in tone with the original, for better or worse. 

And honestly, SS looks like a decent co-op shooter. i know it's set within trappings of conventions forum dwellers generally don't like it. But honestly, it has a Sunset Overdrive vibe to it. And I think it'll be a lot of fun as long as enemies don't start become spongey/ tanky.

I'm surprised by the complete lack of SH Message and Helldivers 2, but I guess the former isn't ready to drop and the latter isn't as close as we thought.