By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - According to IGN, Xbox, Nintendo, and Sony Won't Be Part of E3 2023

E3's first physical event in four years was supposed to be a triumphant return for the trade show — an opportunity to recapture some of the excitement of past conventions, which historically have been major showcase events for the games industry.

However, it appears that when E3 2023 hits the Los Angeles Convention Center in June, it will be without three of its most important draws. IGN has heard from multiple knowledgeable sources that Xbox, Sony, and Nintendo won't be part of E3 2023 or have a presence on the Los Angeles Convention Center showfloor.

This information comes on the heels of Xbox's announcement last week that it would be returning to Los Angeles for its annual summer showcase while declining to confirm whether it would be part of the show itself.

Speaking with IGN last week, Xbox CEO Phil Spencer said the platform holder is timing its showcase with E3 at a moment "convenient for press and even consumers" at the event, meaning it's likely to roughly align with the event itself. Spencer also stressed Xbox's public support for E3 and the Entertainment Software Association (ESA). However, IGN understands that Xbox won't have a booth on the showfloor.

Read more here: Exclusive: Xbox, Nintendo, and Sony Won't Be Part of E3 2023 (ign.com)
-------------------

Well if that's the case then it may very well be the last E3. If they have it at all.

Around the Network

Something like this was bound to happen. Why would they spend millions on E3 when they can literally just make a digital stream which costs pennies in comparison and it's much easier to control and handle?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Makes sense, the world has changed and the E3 format isn't really beneficial or provides the bang-for-buck that other mediums offer.

It was a fun event and something I used to absolutely look forward to.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

If true it's not surprising but is a shame since it was always a lot of fun. It was gonna die eventually regardless but the pandemic made us miss out on at least a couple more normal E3's unfortunately. With how bad 2021 was 2019 can be the true finale to E3 I suppose.

It should just be cancelled at this point. There is more to gaming than these big 3, but they're pretty integral.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

I mean, we've been hearing and saying for years now that "E3 is not what it used to be" or "E3 is just a shadow of its former self" and other stuff along those lines, so I guess im not really surprised at all. Even if they were part of E3, im unsure I'd be that interested in it tbh.

One has to wonder when will it end for good. 

I suppose the Game Awards is the new e3 at this point

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Seems like E3s downfall was trying to cater to journalists and public simultaneously, without understanding how bad that would be for both camps.

I think an E3 can still fundamentally work. Look at Gamescon and TGS. They have this sorted out. You think Sony, for instance, wouldn't have wanted a space where ppl can try PSVR2? But that chance is gone.

And that's too bad. Because Summer Fest is straight up junk.

Tree House is better than E3.

The fragmentation effect of the internet has done so much harm with regards to things like E3. There use to be a time when gamers huddled around screens all over the world at all hours of the day, waiting with bated breath, ready to see what these guys would unveil. It was our Super Bowl. It was our Christmas. It was something very special, and it unified everyone for a few short days.

It's such a loss.