By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sell-through expectations for the PlayStation 5 in 2023?

Sell-through expectations for the PlayStation 5 in 2023?

Less than 12 million 56 8.22%

12.0 - 13.9 million 29 4.26%

14.0 - 15.9 million 73 10.72%

16.0 - 17.9 million 100 14.68%

18.0 - 19.9 million 142 20.85%

20.0 - 21.9 million 116 17.03%

22.0 - 23.9 million 49 7.20%

24.0 - 25.9 million 28 4.11%

26.0 - 28.0 million 11 1.62%

More than 28 million 77 11.31%

Total:681
mjk45 said:
Zippy6 said:

Went for 18-20m could be lower but there are some people really taking the cake in here.

I can't even begin to fathom how anyone could think PS5 could be down YoY.

Under 14m is insanity.

There should be a competition between the  eighty odd people who went for the bottom two predictions and the 80 odd people who went with the top two predictions, now all we need is a poll to decide the type of competition and it should be silly in keeping with those predictions so post your suggestions.

The top prediction is pretty unbelievable but the top two predictions are still more believable than the bottom two.

Around the Network
drkohler said:
VideoGameAccountant said:

There are a lot of structural problems for the PS5 (issues getting consoles to market, a lot of scalpers buying up consoles, third parties not wanting to fully commit, Sony included).

Man it must be really lonely in your world of delusions....

There are ZERO "structural problems" for the PS5 within the next 12 months.

If we take Sony's FY23 plan to manufacture 23.5M units, subtract this fj22 4th quarter of 6M units, and add a pessimistic 4M units for the fj23 4th quarter, we get an estimated lower limit of 21M units shipped for this calendar year. Sony has always been very good with their plans so anyone thinking of less than 20M units shipped this year might think again. Trolls with estimates under 12M should think of finding a new hobby.

I told you what the structural problems were which you didn't address. Thats nice that they can manufacture and ship more, but that doesn't account for consumer demand. We're entering a recession and demand will decline for all platforms. The system doesn't have a ton of games on it, and consumers will likely opt for a PS4 (or stick with the one they have) than buy a new console. This is something more units wont fix. 

ConservagameR said:

Most likely, this recession will be worse than 2008. The problems of 2008 weren't solved and with COVID, there is way too much money in the system. This, coupled with the fact a lot of the world is de-dollarizing, means more inflation in the US, higher rates, and less growth. A decline in the US would result in a decline every, and Europe is going to get hard due to high energy prices. There are also more assests that are overvalued than 2008, one of the most notable being cars. That's the asset I'd watch.

There are a lot of structural problems for the PS5 (issues getting consoles to market, a lot of scalpers buying up consoles, third parties not wanting to fully commit, Sony included). A bad recession could be a tipping point and really hurt momentum. The system did very well in Holiday 2022 thanks to GoW and better availability, but when push comes to shove, and with not a lot of compelling titles coming out, consumers may just stick with their PS4. 

Aside, but a recession will hurt Nintendo and Microsoft as well, but in different ways (and Microsoft may be the one better off). 

Not so sure about that. Maybe, but 2008 wasn't anticipated by most and was quite abrupt, where as things have been weakening for some time now and many have been keeping an eye on it for some time. That's not to say there won't be a crash and it won't be bad, but we're far more aware of the situation this time around so we can much better maneuver. How much that softens the blow is hard to say. There was a general narrative that we were going to see another crash around 2020, but with covid, we may have potentially avoided a hard crash, and instead are riding it out slowly over years. Though it's also possible we've been maneuvering around it for years now and it's going to hit at some point no matter what.

If we do get a crash as I said, then sales will slow a bit. Yet people will still want something to do and gaming is cheap and can be repetitive in a good way, and even cheaper for PS5 come this fall hopefully, so I don't see sales hurting too much even with a crash. Unless the crash is somehow terribly devastating across the board, which at that point all products and markets are in massive trouble.

I'd say right now it looks more like a long slow drawn out recession. That's something that will hold back PS5 sales a bit, but won't cause them to falter much for the next couple years.

Im not sure you can say we saw it coming. Jerome Powell was saying inflation was transient for a year before he realized he needed to raise rates to fight inflation. This is usually want happens in any bust cycle. Rates go up, credit gets more expensive, but the economy needs credit and so you have a contraction, people lose their jobs, bills get hard to pay, defaults happen, banks lose money, meaning less credit and then it cascades from there. The issue now verses 2008 is the issue was primarily isolated to home mortgages back then. Now it's moved into everywhere else, which is why its often termed the "everything bubble." Cars, again, are a good one to look at because the value of cars should always be declining. Instead, they went up, and now we will have an auto loan crash. As for 2020, there is a theory (if you believe it) that a big reason for the lockdowns were the markets were going to crash. In 2019, the Fed injected 50 billion into the Repo market and no one knows why. The crash may have meant to come sooner but COVID pushed it back. The result is more money in the economy than there should be, and its got to come out.

As for the systems, the issue is going to be that a PS5 wont be an attractive purchase. If people have less money, they don't want a $500 console. PS4s are much cheaper now and everything is coming out on the PS4 anyway, so stick with that. There is also the cheaper Switch. This is if they buy games at all, which will be curbed in a recession. The issue for the PS5 is its already tracking below the PS4, so a recession could pop any momentum it has left, leaving it dead in the water. Not that it will have 0 sales, but the next year could be bad and its sales trend could be closer to the Wii's trajectory. We'll know more by the summer.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

Seems that The Liquid Laser might have a Twin brother.... or 2 accounts on this site.

Evidence we already have that sales will be up this year:

UK Sales in January - up 98%
First 5 week sales in Japan - up 106%
First 4 week sales in Spain - Up 261%
Sony shipment forecast for this quarter - up by 210%

I'm sure when we get NPD information we'll also see strong growth in sales there too.

Sony shipped 14.8m units in the 2022 calendar year. If they meet their goal of 6.2m for Jan-March 2023 then in the first quarter alone they will have already shipped 42% of the total consoles they shipped in 2022. They could ship just half the amount they are forecasting and still beat the same 2022 quarter by over 50%.

The stock issues are gone. Sales are rising in every territory we have info for, there is supposedly a new PS5 model launching in the Fall and Sony have forecasted the highest shipments for a console ever for the Jan-Mar quarter. 

Edit: 150% up in Japan after 6 weeks now. PS5 just posted it's best ever week in Japan outside of launch.

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 09 February 2023

People aren't prepared for how big of a year this will be for Playstation overall.

In Japan, PS5 sold about 280k units this January (Jan 2 - Feb 5) vs about 114k a year ago (Dec 27 - Jan 30). PS5 had a relatively strong 2022 January compared to February and March, so the global growth for the next two months could be a lot bigger.

Edited to fix.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 09 February 2023

Around the Network

PS5 s+ Spiderman 2 + FF16 + Factions

Yup. It's going to be a big year for sony.

ConservagameR said:

Not so sure about that. Maybe, but 2008 wasn't anticipated by most and was quite abrupt, where as things have been weakening for some time now and many have been keeping an eye on it for some time. That's not to say there won't be a crash and it won't be bad, but we're far more aware of the situation this time around so we can much better maneuver. How much that softens the blow is hard to say. There was a general narrative that we were going to see another crash around 2020, but with covid, we may have potentially avoided a hard crash, and instead are riding it out slowly over years. Though it's also possible we've been maneuvering around it for years now and it's going to hit at some point no matter what.

If we do get a crash as I said, then sales will slow a bit. Yet people will still want something to do and gaming is cheap and can be repetitive in a good way, and even cheaper for PS5 come this fall hopefully, so I don't see sales hurting too much even with a crash. Unless the crash is somehow terribly devastating across the board, which at that point all products and markets are in massive trouble.

I'd say right now it looks more like a long slow drawn out recession. That's something that will hold back PS5 sales a bit, but won't cause them to falter much for the next couple years.

Im not sure you can say we saw it coming. Jerome Powell was saying inflation was transient for a year before he realized he needed to raise rates to fight inflation. This is usually want happens in any bust cycle. Rates go up, credit gets more expensive, but the economy needs credit and so you have a contraction, people lose their jobs, bills get hard to pay, defaults happen, banks lose money, meaning less credit and then it cascades from there. The issue now verses 2008 is the issue was primarily isolated to home mortgages back then. Now it's moved into everywhere else, which is why its often termed the "everything bubble." Cars, again, are a good one to look at because the value of cars should always be declining. Instead, they went up, and now we will have an auto loan crash. As for 2020, there is a theory (if you believe it) that a big reason for the lockdowns were the markets were going to crash. In 2019, the Fed injected 50 billion into the Repo market and no one knows why. The crash may have meant to come sooner but COVID pushed it back. The result is more money in the economy than there should be, and its got to come out.

As for the systems, the issue is going to be that a PS5 wont be an attractive purchase. If people have less money, they don't want a $500 console. PS4s are much cheaper now and everything is coming out on the PS4 anyway, so stick with that. There is also the cheaper Switch. This is if they buy games at all, which will be curbed in a recession. The issue for the PS5 is its already tracking below the PS4, so a recession could pop any momentum it has left, leaving it dead in the water. Not that it will have 0 sales, but the next year could be bad and its sales trend could be closer to the Wii's trajectory. We'll know more by the summer.

The fed also has to deal with the government and get's a lot of pressure put on them. I remember reading about how much Trump was always on their case. Just because the fed waited doesn't mean a whole lot. It can be an indicator, but the fed tends to wait things out and react vs get ahead of what moves they think they may need to make. I don't believe anything necessarily, but at this point little surprises me when it comes to what's really going on behind the scenes.

In terms of what things look like, if the rumors are to be believed, Sony having the new PS5 (Slim) being manufactured by April and out by September suggests to me that Sony just may see a recession coming and sooner than later. Sony usually launches during the holidays. Typically November. While they are a little behind and would want to catch up, if the console is also as rumored, a digital only model with an optional disc drive accessory, this also says to me that they are going the extra mile to get the price down for consumers. Add to that how cheap an online sub can be for all the gaming you get, and I can't help but wonder if Sony is prepared for what they see coming. It would also explain the rumors of little to no Pro talk and mostly PS6 talk in terms of future hardware. There's no point in a Pro if we get a year or two recession, or worse a crash.

Now I'd also assume if Sony saw a crash coming, they'd make a new PS5 (Slim) and have it ready asap, but also make an XB Series S competitor. A $349 PS5 would be a tougher sell during a crash, though a $249 Series S competitor would be much easier along with a sub to add to that. Now if it's just a slower drawn out recession, a $349-$399 PS5 will still sell well. You'll just likely see a continuation of less game sales yet higher Plus subs instead.

PS4's are not much cheaper new and have limited stock, but obviously they are if used. If most people kept their PS4, then anyone else looking to get into gaming would pretty much have to buy new, so mostly PS5 then. I could see gamers keeping their PS4's with a $500 PS5, but at $349-$399, plenty will trade up to the new model. Cross gen games are about over, at least for first party. Some third party will be going present gen only. Switch supposedly isn't getting price cuts, so the new PS5 won't look that expensive in comparison. I would agree game sales per unit probably wouldn't get any better but more Plus subs instead would make up for that a bit. We haven't heard a peep about a new Series X, but have heard whispers about a slightly upgraded Series S remaining at $299. This wouldn't be good for MS in a recession because X would be dead in the water and S would have more competition with a $349-$399 PS5.

CosmicSex said:
mjk45 said:

There should be a competition between the  eighty odd people who went for the bottom two predictions and the 80 odd people who went with the top two predictions, now all we need is a poll to decide the type of competition and it should be silly in keeping with those predictions so post your suggestions.

The top prediction is pretty unbelievable but the top two predictions are still more believable than the bottom two.

I had to keep the number of people around the same since they might decide on a tug of war competition.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Norion said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Not trolling.  Just busy.

Also, I have stuck to my guns on an unpopular argument before.  In 2019, 2/3 of forum posters voted that Switch would never outsell the PS4.  But throughout 2018 and 2019 I was insisting that Switch would become the best selling system of all time.  Everyone thought I was crazy at the time, but now it looks that I am most likely going to be right.

My point is that this is not unusual behavior for me.  What is unusual is how pissed off people are getting at my unpopular argument.

The key difference is that there wasn't a mountain of evidence showing that it's not possible for the Switch to sell that well. I don't think people are getting pissed off, we're just perplexed you're not changing your expectations after being very wrong on your predictions the past couple years for example thinking the PS5 will be down everywhere but Europe last year and your bet with Curl.

Your explanation in your reply to him just makes no sense since console sales don't work that way at all. They don't suddenly crater later on in a year after being up a lot the first portion so this is just as illogical as the Switch falling off a cliff stuff from years ago. There's just no coherence here since as it was put earlier you expect the Xbox Series to destroy the PS5 in the US but also think it'll sell much less than it this year which completely contradict each other.

And as I asked before if Europe is the only major region you expect the PS5 to do well in why do you expect it to sell a lot less this year when this should be the first year Europe has at least an ok amount of stock sent over? There's a ton of pent up demand there.

Your post sounds a whole lot like the posts thrown at me in 2018 and 2019.  Even the most optimistic Nintendo fan thought Switch only had a 10% chance of being the best selling system.  Everyone else thought the idea was ludicrous.  They even had a mountain of cherry picked evidence like you claim to have.  I stuck to my prediction anyway.  To me, my current PS5 prediction is no different from my Switch prediction in 2018.  I have a very high amount of confidence it will happen even if I don't have the support of anyone else.

In the end time will reveal who is right.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Norion said:

The key difference is that there wasn't a mountain of evidence showing that it's not possible for the Switch to sell that well. I don't think people are getting pissed off, we're just perplexed you're not changing your expectations after being very wrong on your predictions the past couple years for example thinking the PS5 will be down everywhere but Europe last year and your bet with Curl.

Your explanation in your reply to him just makes no sense since console sales don't work that way at all. They don't suddenly crater later on in a year after being up a lot the first portion so this is just as illogical as the Switch falling off a cliff stuff from years ago. There's just no coherence here since as it was put earlier you expect the Xbox Series to destroy the PS5 in the US but also think it'll sell much less than it this year which completely contradict each other.

And as I asked before if Europe is the only major region you expect the PS5 to do well in why do you expect it to sell a lot less this year when this should be the first year Europe has at least an ok amount of stock sent over? There's a ton of pent up demand there.

Your post sounds a whole lot like the posts thrown at me in 2018 and 2019.  Even the most optimistic Nintendo fan thought Switch only had a 10% chance of being the best selling system.  Everyone else thought the idea was ludicrous.  They even had a mountain of cherry picked evidence like you claim to have.  I stuck to my prediction anyway.  To me, my current PS5 prediction is no different from my Switch prediction in 2018.  I have a very high amount of confidence it will happen even if I don't have the support of anyone else.

In the end time will reveal who is right.

What makes it different is you've been very wrong about the PS5 so far. If you're so confident then I don't get why you not only didn't answer my question again but also didn't reply to a single part of what I said there except the first sentence. If you're still sticking to it then surely you have some sort of reason why after your prediction for the PS5 in 2022 was wrong.