By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sell-through expectations for the PlayStation 5 in 2023?

Sell-through expectations for the PlayStation 5 in 2023?

Less than 12 million 56 8.22%

12.0 - 13.9 million 29 4.26%

14.0 - 15.9 million 73 10.72%

16.0 - 17.9 million 100 14.68%

18.0 - 19.9 million 142 20.85%

20.0 - 21.9 million 116 17.03%

22.0 - 23.9 million 49 7.20%

24.0 - 25.9 million 28 4.11%

26.0 - 28.0 million 11 1.62%

More than 28 million 77 11.31%

Total:681
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Norion said:

The key difference is that there wasn't a mountain of evidence showing that it's not possible for the Switch to sell that well. I don't think people are getting pissed off, we're just perplexed you're not changing your expectations after being very wrong on your predictions the past couple years for example thinking the PS5 will be down everywhere but Europe last year and your bet with Curl.

Your explanation in your reply to him just makes no sense since console sales don't work that way at all. They don't suddenly crater later on in a year after being up a lot the first portion so this is just as illogical as the Switch falling off a cliff stuff from years ago. There's just no coherence here since as it was put earlier you expect the Xbox Series to destroy the PS5 in the US but also think it'll sell much less than it this year which completely contradict each other.

And as I asked before if Europe is the only major region you expect the PS5 to do well in why do you expect it to sell a lot less this year when this should be the first year Europe has at least an ok amount of stock sent over? There's a ton of pent up demand there.

Your post sounds a whole lot like the posts thrown at me in 2018 and 2019.  Even the most optimistic Nintendo fan thought Switch only had a 10% chance of being the best selling system.  Everyone else thought the idea was ludicrous.  They even had a mountain of cherry picked evidence like you claim to have.  I stuck to my prediction anyway.  To me, my current PS5 prediction is no different from my Switch prediction in 2018.  I have a very high amount of confidence it will happen even if I don't have the support of anyone else.

In the end time will reveal who is right.

Time already revealed your previous ps5/Xbox prediction to be horrifically wrong. But instead of realising your mistake in vastly underestimating you are doubling down on silly negative predictions for both Xbox and PlayStation this year.

Around the Network

CloudxTifa said:

For a long time there was a belief that Nintendo consoles would only sell for $250 or less.
Now it has been proven that even $350 can sell as a mainstay.

ConservagameR said:
VideoGameAccountant said:

Im not sure you can say we saw it coming. Jerome Powell was saying inflation was transient for a year before he realized he needed to raise rates to fight inflation. This is usually want happens in any bust cycle. Rates go up, credit gets more expensive, but the economy needs credit and so you have a contraction, people lose their jobs, bills get hard to pay, defaults happen, banks lose money, meaning less credit and then it cascades from there. The issue now verses 2008 is the issue was primarily isolated to home mortgages back then. Now it's moved into everywhere else, which is why its often termed the "everything bubble." Cars, again, are a good one to look at because the value of cars should always be declining. Instead, they went up, and now we will have an auto loan crash. As for 2020, there is a theory (if you believe it) that a big reason for the lockdowns were the markets were going to crash. In 2019, the Fed injected 50 billion into the Repo market and no one knows why. The crash may have meant to come sooner but COVID pushed it back. The result is more money in the economy than there should be, and its got to come out.

As for the systems, the issue is going to be that a PS5 wont be an attractive purchase. If people have less money, they don't want a $500 console. PS4s are much cheaper now and everything is coming out on the PS4 anyway, so stick with that. There is also the cheaper Switch. This is if they buy games at all, which will be curbed in a recession. The issue for the PS5 is its already tracking below the PS4, so a recession could pop any momentum it has left, leaving it dead in the water. Not that it will have 0 sales, but the next year could be bad and its sales trend could be closer to the Wii's trajectory. We'll know more by the summer.

The fed also has to deal with the government and get's a lot of pressure put on them. I remember reading about how much Trump was always on their case. Just because the fed waited doesn't mean a whole lot. It can be an indicator, but the fed tends to wait things out and react vs get ahead of what moves they think they may need to make. I don't believe anything necessarily, but at this point little surprises me when it comes to what's really going on behind the scenes.

In terms of what things look like, if the rumors are to be believed, Sony having the new PS5 (Slim) being manufactured by April and out by September suggests to me that Sony just may see a recession coming and sooner than later. Sony usually launches during the holidays. Typically November. While they are a little behind and would want to catch up, if the console is also as rumored, a digital only model with an optional disc drive accessory, this also says to me that they are going the extra mile to get the price down for consumers. Add to that how cheap an online sub can be for all the gaming you get, and I can't help but wonder if Sony is prepared for what they see coming. It would also explain the rumors of little to no Pro talk and mostly PS6 talk in terms of future hardware. There's no point in a Pro if we get a year or two recession, or worse a crash.

Now I'd also assume if Sony saw a crash coming, they'd make a new PS5 (Slim) and have it ready asap, but also make an XB Series S competitor. A $349 PS5 would be a tougher sell during a crash, though a $249 Series S competitor would be much easier along with a sub to add to that. Now if it's just a slower drawn out recession, a $349-$399 PS5 will still sell well. You'll just likely see a continuation of less game sales yet higher Plus subs instead.

PS4's are not much cheaper new and have limited stock, but obviously they are if used. If most people kept their PS4, then anyone else looking to get into gaming would pretty much have to buy new, so mostly PS5 then. I could see gamers keeping their PS4's with a $500 PS5, but at $349-$399, plenty will trade up to the new model. Cross gen games are about over, at least for first party. Some third party will be going present gen only. Switch supposedly isn't getting price cuts, so the new PS5 won't look that expensive in comparison. I would agree game sales per unit probably wouldn't get any better but more Plus subs instead would make up for that a bit. We haven't heard a peep about a new Series X, but have heard whispers about a slightly upgraded Series S remaining at $299. This wouldn't be good for MS in a recession because X would be dead in the water and S would have more competition with a $349-$399 PS5.

To your first point, its indicative that the fed is reactionary (as you point out, the Fed likes to wait). The real reason, I'd argue, the Fed didn't want to raise rates was because it would hurt the stock market. The Fed was trying to raise rates earlier, but a 25 basis point increase would result in huge sell offs. If the Fed likes to wait, then they aren't going to stop raising rates until its too late. This isn't good if you are hoping there will be a soft landing.

I don't see the Slim helping much. Since everything has been cross gen, there is little reason to buy a PS5. Everyone is going to cut there spending, so they aren't going to be rushing out to get new consoles. Even if the Slim is $349, its still too expensive. Right now, we are seeing massive credit card debt. This indicates people are using credit to make ends meet, as prices are just too high (and economist like to ignore food inflation, opps). ZeroHedge sums it up well

The combination of record high credit card debt and record high credit card interest is nothing short of catastrophic for both the US economy, and the strapped consumer who has no choice but to keep buying on credit while hoping next month's bill will somehow not come. Unfortunately, it will and at some point in the very near future, this will also translate into massive loan losses for US consumer banks; that's when Powell will finally panic.

The article also notes that credit card debt is some of the highest its ever been. People aren't going to rush out and buy a new console, especially when a lot of the games are already on the PS4 and PC. I don't think cross gen games are over as you say. If anything, they will get more prevalent. Games are a 3-5 year process, so any game that comes out at the end of this year could have started between 2018-2021, which were far better markets for games. With high cost and low demand, expect everything to come out on PS4, if not the PC. This is bad for the PS5 as has little in the way of exclusives and third parties are going to be far more gun shy about committing to next gen.

The reason I think Microsoft is in a better spot than Sony is because Microsoft is focused more on Game Pass than their console. If you don't buy a console, that's fine by them as long as you are getting their games somewhere else. Microsoft can also easily release a budget game pass which is $30 a month and focuses on smaller titles. Sony only has the ability to sell consoles, so they are in a worse spot. And since we're talking about the other guys, Nintendo has a large install bases with Switch and could just weather the storm by delaying their next system. It also gives them time to make more games and have a bigger launch when things recover. All three will be in trouble since I don't think we'll see an economy like 2017-2018 for a long while. We're looking at a worse version of the 1970s here. But I'm more bearish on Sony since they going into the recession with fewer safety nets as oppose to Microsoft and Nintendo.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

The more I read this VideoGameAccountant drivel, the more I think this is some student's AI project going horribly wrong....

Around the Network
drkohler said:

The more I read this VideoGameAccountant drivel, the more I think this is some student's AI project going horribly wrong....

ConservagameR said:

The fed also has to deal with the government and get's a lot of pressure put on them. I remember reading about how much Trump was always on their case. Just because the fed waited doesn't mean a whole lot. It can be an indicator, but the fed tends to wait things out and react vs get ahead of what moves they think they may need to make. I don't believe anything necessarily, but at this point little surprises me when it comes to what's really going on behind the scenes.

In terms of what things look like, if the rumors are to be believed, Sony having the new PS5 (Slim) being manufactured by April and out by September suggests to me that Sony just may see a recession coming and sooner than later. Sony usually launches during the holidays. Typically November. While they are a little behind and would want to catch up, if the console is also as rumored, a digital only model with an optional disc drive accessory, this also says to me that they are going the extra mile to get the price down for consumers. Add to that how cheap an online sub can be for all the gaming you get, and I can't help but wonder if Sony is prepared for what they see coming. It would also explain the rumors of little to no Pro talk and mostly PS6 talk in terms of future hardware. There's no point in a Pro if we get a year or two recession, or worse a crash.

Now I'd also assume if Sony saw a crash coming, they'd make a new PS5 (Slim) and have it ready asap, but also make an XB Series S competitor. A $349 PS5 would be a tougher sell during a crash, though a $249 Series S competitor would be much easier along with a sub to add to that. Now if it's just a slower drawn out recession, a $349-$399 PS5 will still sell well. You'll just likely see a continuation of less game sales yet higher Plus subs instead.

PS4's are not much cheaper new and have limited stock, but obviously they are if used. If most people kept their PS4, then anyone else looking to get into gaming would pretty much have to buy new, so mostly PS5 then. I could see gamers keeping their PS4's with a $500 PS5, but at $349-$399, plenty will trade up to the new model. Cross gen games are about over, at least for first party. Some third party will be going present gen only. Switch supposedly isn't getting price cuts, so the new PS5 won't look that expensive in comparison. I would agree game sales per unit probably wouldn't get any better but more Plus subs instead would make up for that a bit. We haven't heard a peep about a new Series X, but have heard whispers about a slightly upgraded Series S remaining at $299. This wouldn't be good for MS in a recession because X would be dead in the water and S would have more competition with a $349-$399 PS5.

To your first point, its indicative that the fed is reactionary (as you point out, the Fed likes to wait). The real reason, I'd argue, the Fed didn't want to raise rates was because it would hurt the stock market. The Fed was trying to raise rates earlier, but a 25 basis point increase would result in huge sell offs. If the Fed likes to wait, then they aren't going to stop raising rates until its too late. This isn't good if you are hoping there will be a soft landing.

I don't see the Slim helping much. Since everything has been cross gen, there is little reason to buy a PS5. Everyone is going to cut there spending, so they aren't going to be rushing out to get new consoles. Even if the Slim is $349, its still too expensive. Right now, we are seeing massive credit card debt. This indicates people are using credit to make ends meet, as prices are just too high (and economist like to ignore food inflation, opps). ZeroHedge sums it up well

The combination of record high credit card debt and record high credit card interest is nothing short of catastrophic for both the US economy, and the strapped consumer who has no choice but to keep buying on credit while hoping next month's bill will somehow not come. Unfortunately, it will and at some point in the very near future, this will also translate into massive loan losses for US consumer banks; that's when Powell will finally panic.

The article also notes that credit card debt is some of the highest its ever been. People aren't going to rush out and buy a new console, especially when a lot of the games are already on the PS4 and PC. I don't think cross gen games are over as you say. If anything, they will get more prevalent. Games are a 3-5 year process, so any game that comes out at the end of this year could have started between 2018-2021, which were far better markets for games. With high cost and low demand, expect everything to come out on PS4, if not the PC. This is bad for the PS5 as has little in the way of exclusives and third parties are going to be far more gun shy about committing to next gen.

The reason I think Microsoft is in a better spot than Sony is because Microsoft is focused more on Game Pass than their console. If you don't buy a console, that's fine by them as long as you are getting their games somewhere else. Microsoft can also easily release a budget game pass which is $30 a month and focuses on smaller titles. Sony only has the ability to sell consoles, so they are in a worse spot. And since we're talking about the other guys, Nintendo has a large install bases with Switch and could just weather the storm by delaying their next system. It also gives them time to make more games and have a bigger launch when things recover. All three will be in trouble since I don't think we'll see an economy like 2017-2018 for a long while. We're looking at a worse version of the 1970s here. But I'm more bearish on Sony since they going into the recession with fewer safety nets as oppose to Microsoft and Nintendo.

Waiting a while and waiting too long are not the same. Just like reacting too little, enough, or an overcorrection are not the same. The fed still seems relatively calm and collected for being on the verge of a crash. Not like they'd be freaking out as not to cause a panic, but they haven't made any overly concerning moves just yet. Indicators, but that's about it. If they eventually do, then it's time to start worrying.

Some of this credit card debt is because people didn't cut back during covid like it was thought they would and should've, and they're still waiting for the job market to pick back up. While this is a potential indicator of what's to come, it also backs up my point that people won't just sit around and do nothing. They'll spend any money any way they can even if it's borrowed and worry about the outcome later. Why would anybody assume they won't just bail out the banks again this time around if there's another crash? Who's to say they wouldn't?

While only whispers right now, why would Sony be talking about a PS6 behind the scenes at all if they see a crash coming? Unless they are mistaken, or assume a crash would somehow be solved very quickly, which even a bail out won't do that. A quick bail out, or a slow drawn out recession would still allow a $349-$399 PS5 to continue selling decent numbers, but will almost certainly mean an extended generation, which should then require a Pro model, not a jump to a new gen. Same with the XB Series S whispers about a slight upgrade and keeping the price at $299. That makes no sense on MS part if they see a crash coming, so they would be wrong as well.

Sony has enough games coming out along with third party for PS5. While third parties typically lag behind when it comes to going fully next (present) gen, Sony would've changed their minds by now and would certainly be letting gamers know that future titles will remain cross gen. Yet they haven't indicated that to be the case. Focusing almost entirely on PS5 tells me Sony is pretty confident we're not getting a crash, that it'll be a slow mild recession if anything.

Most casuals don't do PC gaming, it's why consoles exist and sell in the hundred of millions. Plenty of casuals still aren't PC literate or just won't deal with the hassle, and those that would typically have weak PC's, sometimes too weak to play many games. Even then, PS Plus is on PC along with Game Pass, and Plus is cheaper.

Then there's MS having XB purchase AB for $70 billion. If they saw a crash coming, why not wait to buy AB afterwards when the gaming market is tanking and AB is worth much less? Even if MS didn't know then but is worried now, why not back out now with everything standing in their way anyway? Even if they'd have to pay a penalty of a few billion, it would be worth it vs the upcoming losses due to a huge crash. If they still wanted to buy AB after the crash, they could get them for far far cheaper.

PS, XB, and Nin have all been raising prices, so unless they're all wrong, or simply cashing in before the crash, their moves don't indicate hard times ahead. Maybe less than ideal times, but they aren't signaling anything too worrisome.

Funny I've been saying that for a while, so surprised to see other people say it.

Alt accounts? Jokers?

Here's what we actually know:

Shipping plans for Jan to Mar are 6M (seems to actually work given this year's numbers so far)

Leaked plans call for shipping Oct to Dec 10M for XMas period

Sony expects to be August the slowest month this year, so let's say

Shipping plans for Apr to June low estmate 3M for the expected slump in summer sales.

Shipping plans for July to Sep low estmate 4M expected increase for fall season (not even accounting for new unified model which is more or less the digital PS5).

That gives us 6+3+4+10 = 23M units shipped this year.

I find it slightly irritating that people come to estimates of around 12M (forget that recession drivel, else there wouldn't be that 3rd quarter 10M Sony plan)

Unshackled PS5 is unstoppable as expected. Switch holding strong is very impressive. Xbox is a disaster. As I've been saying since Series S announcement, the S is a misfired product and Phil screwed up but got lucky by the pandemic limiting PS5's potential.

Keep in mind that PS5 got a price hike AND they're not even pushing the cheaper SKU yet.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 13 February 2023