By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sell-through expectations for the PlayStation 5 in 2023?

Sell-through expectations for the PlayStation 5 in 2023?

Less than 12 million 56 8.22%

12.0 - 13.9 million 29 4.26%

14.0 - 15.9 million 73 10.72%

16.0 - 17.9 million 100 14.68%

18.0 - 19.9 million 142 20.85%

20.0 - 21.9 million 116 17.03%

22.0 - 23.9 million 49 7.20%

24.0 - 25.9 million 28 4.11%

26.0 - 28.0 million 11 1.62%

More than 28 million 77 11.31%

Total:681

Of course it's gonna come down to stock but give what we seen so far, where sales are boosted by incredible pent up demand I think the minimum will be 25 million.  I voted 22 to 24 million BTW.   I'm upgrading due to the performance of the first 2 months.  Having the highest or second highest Q1 of all time has to count for something. 

Around the Network

This thread is only three months old and already it's a blast to read the nonsense from the previous pages. My prediction of around 18m is clearly gonna be too low so I'll change it to around 23m. I think sales will likely be lower during Summer than it has been lately since by then at least some of the pent up demand will be fulfilled but it'll still be selling great even if that happens so it's gonna easily go past 20m.

Last edited by Norion - on 22 April 2023

Norion said:
Zippy6 said:

January figures are in and PS5 is already leading 2022 by 0.55m. What's more PS5 only sold 374k globally in February 2022 meanwhile in 2023 the PS5 has already sold 275k in the first 3 weeks of February in Japan alone. This is going to be a bloodbath. 

PS5 will be easily over a million up YoY by the end of Feb.

What you're missing is it'll suddenly fall off a cliff later this year and by December be heavily down compared to 2022.

The PS5's sales numbers were so low in 2021 and 2022 not because of shortages, but because the Wii is competing with the PS5 and sold a fuck ton in 2007 and 2008 and with that ate into the PS5's marketshare.

VideoGameAccountant said:

Interesting to read everyone's predictions. I think the folks saying 12-13M are about right with the recession in 2023 coming. Funny I've been saying that for a while, so surprised to see other people say it.

One potential problem for the system could be the scalper issue. Its not been said how bad it is, but some predictions put it at 25-33 percent. I expect after this holiday its closer to 15, so about 4 million consoles. We're already seeing people using credit cards a lot and car repos will likely hit in a month or two. As bills pile up, a lot of scalpers may take a lose on the PS5s and sell them at below market rate. This could really hurt demand for the system, especially at a critical juncture. So it could be closers to 9-10 million next year. Otherwise, think 12-13 is pretty reasonable

Last edited by Oneeee-Chan!!! - on 22 April 2023

Kakadu18 said:
Norion said:

What you're missing is it'll suddenly fall off a cliff later this year and by December be heavily down compared to 2022.

The PS5's sales numbers were so low in 2021 and 2022 not because of shortages, but because the Wii is competing with the PS5 and sold a fuck ton in 2007 and 2008 and with that ate into the PS5's marketshare.

And the reason it's gonna do so well the next few years was due to how much of a flop the Wii U was.

Around the Network

I predicted around 20m which now seems too low. I'm gonna change it to 25m now. It's gonna do at least 25m if spiderman 2 releases this year and there's no supply issues. And if the slim coming this year 25m might be too low too

It got to hilarious seeing people fight with the obvious troll bot accounts. For christ sake he has accountant in his name...

CosmicSex said:

It got to hilarious seeing people fight with the obvious troll bot accounts. For christ sake he has accountant in his name...

Based on their previous posting history and their profiles neither of them seem to be bots to me. The name doesn't really tell you anything about that. I mean look at your name.

Kakadu18 said:
CosmicSex said:

Based on their previous posting history and their profiles neither of them seem to be bots to me. The name doesn't really tell you anything about that. I mean look at your name.

Lol fair enough.   I still maintain that he is trolling the formns.

So sell-through for the first quarter is now 5.4m after Sony shipped a record 6.3m in the Jan-March quarter. Sony are now forecasting 25m shipped for the Fiscal Year ending March 31st 2024. Even if Sony beat the all-time record again with 6.4m Jan-March 2024 this 25m forecast would still mean 24.9m shipped for the Calendar Year 2023.

Basically it would seem any prediction under 20m can now be thrown out of the window. There is even the potential for selling double the amount of certain predictions in here.