By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Callisto Protocol Steam Deck Review - Simply isn’t as good as the original Dead Space

I loved Dead Space. The first game in the series holds a special place for me as one of the top horror games of all time. That also means I absolutely had to give this game a chance. Was I impressed?

Here's the "Steam Deck isn't a Switch competitor" written version: https://zyro-eg.com/2022/12/21/the-callisto-protocol-steam-deck-review/

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Around the Network

Pretty good review, while flawed the game offers good fun and cool combat.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:

Pretty good review, while flawed the game offers good fun and cool combat.

It's rare for horror games to encourage or even enforce melee combat, so it was a nice touch to me that they wanted you to physically fight these things.  Most other games use close range combat for an escape or "last resort", but this game really forces you to learn how to lay the beatdown lol

^^/

This isn't supposed to be like dead space, which is one of the best games of all time. When rid the mind of the bullshit and expectations, there is a solid game to enjoy.

Both are not really scary horror games. The main gripe with those 2 games is that the scares become far too predicatable. When they are too predicatable, the horror part of game is non existent and makes those scares feel forced. Seems like the reviewers found the same with callisto protocol. Callisto protocol for me was dead space reskinned. Having to fight enemies with melee doesn't make the game scary. It's to try and add diversity to a repetitive combat system which also plagued dead space.. Also you become too op in callisto protocol. How can it be a horror game if you become too op? Lol

Around the Network
KratosLives said:

This isn't supposed to be like dead space, which is one of the best games of all time. When rid the mind of the bullshit and expectations, there is a solid game to enjoy.

Bruh, they literally transplant a large part of the formula and are many of the same devs who made Dead Space.  I've played both (Dead Space multiple times, actually, lol), the comparison is legitimate and I guarantee I'm not the only one that compared it and had expectations based off Dead Space lol

dane007 said:

Both are not really scary horror games. The main gripe with those 2 games is that the scares become far too predicatable. When they are too predicatable, the horror part of game is non existent and makes those scares feel forced. Seems like the reviewers found the same with callisto protocol. Callisto protocol for me was dead space reskinned. Having to fight enemies with melee doesn't make the game scary. It's to try and add diversity to a repetitive combat system which also plagued dead space.. Also you become too op in callisto protocol. How can it be a horror game if you become too op? Lol

I mean, they're both in the genre, but I agree neither is particularly about scaring the shit out of you moreso than simply creating that sci-fi horror atmosphere as opposed to actually specifically scaring you, the player lol

Think steam punk: that subgenre is more about the era, the technology, the world, etc. than the actual gameplay.  I think both Dead Space and The Callisto Protocol are more about creating a dystopian sci-fi space horror scenario (ex/ the movie Event Horizon) than trying to get their rocks off on your screams

^^/