By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Shigeru Miyamoto dilema (2011-2015)

I do get the impression that some (not all) of Miyamoto's philosophies about video game design are outdated, and were even by early 2010s standards. But having said that, the Wii U failed because Nintendo got everything wrong with both the console's overall design (I will unironically argue that from a pure hardware standpoint, the Wii U was the worst console ever produced by a major manufacturer) and the advertising. As influential as Miyamoto was at the company, I have a hard time believing that he had that degree of influence.

Around the Network

Miyamoto's influence is significant, but perhaps overexaggerated by many. There were those at Nintendo that thought the Wii U would sell 100 million.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

Miyamoto's influence is significant, but perhaps overexaggerated by many. There were those at Nintendo that thought the Wii U would sell 100 million.

At Nintendo itself? I remember reading that Kimishima expected the Wii U to flop and the Switch to sell as much as the Wii. That guy really knows what he talks about.

OlfinBedwere said:

I do get the impression that some (not all) of Miyamoto's philosophies about video game design are outdated, and were even by early 2010s standards. But having said that, the Wii U failed because Nintendo got everything wrong with both the console's overall design (I will unironically argue that from a pure hardware standpoint, the Wii U was the worst console ever produced by a major manufacturer) and the advertising. As influential as Miyamoto was at the company, I have a hard time believing that he had that degree of influence.

The Wii U had a bunch of problems. But the way Miyamoto was running EAD during this time very much contributed to some of the big ones. Being the head of what was at the time, Nintendo's largest division, that created most of its most important IP, Miyamoto obviously had a lot of say in how the Wii U was designed and presented, as well as what software he and his teams would be making for it, and when they would release.