By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS2 dominance really made Xbox/Gamecube/Dreamcast niche until 7th generation (friends that were just one console have any could remember back then that were)

We know Ps2 sold 150+ million destroying the other 3 kings into a obscurity, Gamecube sold the same like Original Xbox both at 20 million while Dreamcast suffered the worst If only Sega stayed alittle longer but I guess this was an eye opener for both Nintendo and Microsoft I knew alot of friends that were manipulated to only owning PS2 and that is all you needed not a gamecube or Xbox or Dreamcast tell me how many of your friends were PS2 only gamers? I had like 50+ friends who just game on PS2 only don't care about the other consoles.

Times have changed for the better in 9th generation. Glad Nintendo and Microsoft are now more relevant than they were back then still wish Sega was around in hardware. But yeah, those friends were perplexed what I owned. Remembers Alex and George saying all they needed was PS2 as my closer friends And another George Only Ps1 and PS2 but said Gamecube is for babies and Xbox what, What's a dreamcast?

Last edited by SegaHeart - on 11 December 2022

Around the Network

I got my PS2 in 2010. And it was still popular around here. It's going to be hard for another console to stay relevant for such a long time.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

I got my PS2 in 2010. And it was still popular around here. It's going to be hard for another console to stay relevant for such a long time.

Hugs. Like.

Last edited by SegaHeart - on 11 December 2022

The PS2 was a phenomenon. Rode in on a wave of unimaginable hype and mostly lived up to it, which is why it sold so well.

I loved my Gamecube, though, and am thrilled that a lot of my Gamecube favorites are being brought to Switch.

Around the Network
SanAndreasX said:

The PS2 was a phenomenon. Rode in on a wave of unimaginable hype and mostly lived up to it, which is why it sold so well.

I loved my Gamecube, though, and am thrilled that a lot of my Gamecube favorites are being brought to Switch.

Loved my Gamecube too, some of my other friends missed out on Star Wars Rogue Squadron, Link in SC2, and Smash Bros melee etc

SegaHeart said:
SanAndreasX said:

Loved my Gamecube too, some of my other friends missed out on Star Wars Rogue Squadron, Link in SC2, and Smash Bros melee etc

I enjoyed Link in SC2.

Gamecube brought RPGs back to Nintendo. Add in the Zeldas, Metroid Prime, and Resident Evil, and it was quite a nice machine. I also have the Game Boy Player.

I had a Dreamcast, Gamecube, and Xbox that gen. Didn't get a PS2 until 2011. I still prefer my Xbox and DC to PS2. I don't hate PS2 but never fully clicked with me. Despite the fact, I am a person who loves to find hidden gems and PS2 is overflowing with them. I would love to own Gungrave but they are pricey and yes I am playing and enjoying GORE on PS5. I do have a list of PS2 games I want like Neo Contra. Some of the SEGA Ages games. I probably need to get a Japanese PS2 as I do have Assault Suit Valken remake.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

PS2 was my first non Nintendo system, I also had a gamecube that generation. I enjoyed catching up on some Square games I didn't get to play on the PS1 as well as the square games and Grand Theft Auto games on ps2. The gamecube still won the generation for me, I had quite a bit more fun with gamecube over ps2. The PS3 was the first non system to win a generation for me.

No, it made Xbox and Gamecube irrelevant. It KILLED Dreamcast, and Sega as well. And because of it, I use to literally flip PS2s off in the store when I'd walk past them lol. I was such a huge fan of Dreamcast at the time, and it took me at least six solid months to finally accept reality and buy a PS2. But man... did I have an adolescent grudge against Sony for awhile haha.