By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Controversial character design changes in game remakes

tsogud said:
DroidKnight said:

Mine will come off as sexist. Female characters that started off with large breast and ass, nice hourglass shape, shifted over to flat ass and chest and even ugliness added to the face. I don't need that in my video games. Just stamp a mature restrictive label on the cover and give me all the jiggles, wiggles, and bouncies that I want.

Edit: One of your former avatars is a prime example.

Yeah it came off as sexist because it was sexist. The reason those changes happen is bc more people other than straight males play video games now. Video games have become mainstream. And it's gross to know it's largely there bc some guy wanted to see virtual breasts.

So you're saying that no sexy, large breasted, hourglass figure women play games, and want to feel represented too? 

Around the Network
DroidKnight said:

Mine will come off as sexist. Female characters that started off with large breast and ass, nice hourglass shape, shifted over to flat ass and chest and even ugliness added to the face. I don't need that in my video games. Just stamp a mature restrictive label on the cover and give me all the jiggles, wiggles, and bouncies that I want.

Edit: One of your former avatars is a prime example.

I'm the complete opposite, and probably a gamer minority.  I think silly unrealistic character models take away from the atmosphere.  There is something more atmospheric about real characters.   

Tifa in particular, and Rikku, are just plain old stupid.  Who fights in a bikini top?  Just seems so out of place.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 07 December 2022

Can't say I liked the most of the new character models in the recent Diablo II remake/remaster. It's like they aged the characters 20 years, just because the game had aged 20 years, even though it's supposed to be the same game and not a sequel. Bit weird that.

The Amazon's new model is particularly awful - looks kinda like a man now.

She went from this:

To this:

Ratchet and Clank. Sorry, I liked the sophomoric humor and attitude from the original R&C 1 over the remake. They turned Ratchet from a loner with attitude who fell into savings the world to an instant hero with a heart of gold. They also took out a lot of the humor from all characters. The gameplay and graphics may be worlds better, but something about the world and characters was lost.

tsogud said:

Yeah it came off as sexist because it was sexist. The reason those changes happen is bc more people other than straight males play video games now. Video games have become mainstream. And it's gross to know it's largely there bc some guy wanted to see virtual breasts.

If I was a gay woman I would still prefer a voluptuous well-figured character.

If I was a gay man, I would like to think I would prefer a beef-cake character, huge muscles and a huge bulge.

I'm not sure what being a straight man has anything to do with anything.

I'm not really into fugly (it's gross), but I'm not going to judge you.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
DroidKnight said:
tsogud said:

If I was a gay man, I would like to think I would prefer a beef-cake character, huge muscles and a huge bulge.

There is a massive gap between unrealistic and ugly.  It is called realistic.

Chrkeller said:

If I wanted realistic I wouldn't play video games.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

DroidKnight said:
Chrkeller said:

If I wanted realistic I wouldn't play video games.

Depends on the game.  Last of Us, realistic characters, fit the atmosphere.

DroidKnight said:
tsogud said:

What really grinds my gears is the fact that many of the same people that complain about characters like these:

are the same people drooling over characters like these:

They claim that these sexy female game characters are unrealistic and drive unrealistic beauty standards that harm women, and yet they are right there drooling over sexy male game characters that the vast majority of male gamers will never be able to look like. But you don't see the male gamers crying over unrealistic standards and asking for the male characters to be made pudgy and balding to better represent the male gender, instead either accept the fact that they aren't going to look like a sexy male game character, or they aspire to look more like those sexy male characters; they hit the gym, pump iron, eat a ton of protein, etc.

I see the same thing happening with superhero movies. When men cry fowl over how female super heroes and their outfits are becoming less sexy over time, the feminists claim they are being sexist. But then those same feminists are drooling when Chris Hemsworth takes his shirt off.

I just can't abide by all the hypocrisy I'm seeing these days.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 07 December 2022

shikamaru317 said:
DroidKnight said:

What really grinds my gears is the fact that many of the same people that complain about characters like these:

are the same people drooling over characters like these:

They claim that these sexy female game characters are unrealistic and drive unrealistic beauty standards that harm women, and yet they are right there drooling over sexy male game characters that the vast majority of male gamers will never be able to look like. But you don't see the male gamers crying over unrealistic standards and asking for the male characters to be made pudgy and balding to better represent the male gender, instead they aspire to look more like those sexy male characters; they hit the gym, pump iron, eat a ton of protein, etc.

I see the same thing happening with superhero movies. When men cry fowl over how female super heroes and their outfits are becoming less sexy over time, the feminists claim they are being sexist. But then those same feminists are drooling when Chris Hemsworth takes his shirt off.

I just can't abide by all the hypocrisy I'm seeing these days.

Kratos effectively is a God, so that doesn't bother, much in the sense Bayonetta doesn't bother me via being a witch.  Chris Redfield, starting in RE5, is a terrible design.  Leon is a much better design.  Unrealistic males are just as silly as female.  

The poster child for stupid is Quiet in MGS5.  Tomb Raider Reboot is 10x better than the originals.  RE3 Remake Jill is much better than the original as well.

I mean some of the designs are just awful.  I imagine Link running around in a G-string...  cause that makes sense.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 07 December 2022