By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War Ragnarok sells 5.1 million in the first week

Wman1996 said:

Pretty sure this all but confirms (after Sony has mentioned the possibility) that we will see at least a few Sony PS4 titles in 2023.

80% of sales in the UK were for PS5.



Around the Network

Not bad :)



Otter said:
Wman1996 said:

Pretty sure this all but confirms (after Sony has mentioned the possibility) that we will see at least a few Sony PS4 titles in 2023.

80% of sales in the UK were for PS5.

On the other hand the PS4 ratio was higher in both Spain and Japan so worldwide my guess is PS4 is currently 25-30% of total sales but that ratio will decline overtime as more and more people get PS5's so it will probably end up being just 10-15% of total sales in the long term.



Awesome numbers for GOWR. Even though I still prefer the gameplay of the God of War games of yore, I will say that Ragnarok rocks all over 2018 in every way. And the realism of the graphics, facial expressions, animations, etc (particularly in the cutscenes) is so good, that even the kings at Naughty Dog are going to have their work cut out for them to top this.

If we can look forward to this level of visual fidelity at 60hz on the PS5, then cross-gen games aren't so bad after all.



Damn good numbers.

I'll get my copy in the future, still need to play God of War 2018.



    

Basil's YouTube Channel


                    

Around the Network
archbrix said:

Awesome numbers for GOWR. Even though I still prefer the gameplay of the God of War games of yore, I will say that Ragnarok rocks all over 2018 in every way. And the realism of the graphics, facial expressions, animations, etc (particularly in the cutscenes) is so good, that even the kings at Naughty Dog are going to have their work cut out for them to top this.

If we can look forward to this level of visual fidelity at 60hz on the PS5, then cross-gen games aren't so bad after all.

There will be crossgen games for a very long time. I can see then making Spiderman 2 also being a crossgen title.



Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Kyuu said:

Much bigger than I expected. Launching close to Black Friday and the holiday season might give it really strong short term legs as well, and PS5 production improving should help it sustain strong sales in 2023. This would bode well for Sony's PC strategy, and give me hope that Nintendo will follow suit and try slowly exploring PC support in a few years.

Very impressive that it managed to easily beat GoW 2018's launch despite the PS5 supply situation and the increased software pricing. It reinforces my opinion that this will be Sony's strongest generation by a wide margin.

You have to keep in mind that GoW:R is also available on PS4 which mitigates the problems tied with the PS5 supply situation. I was fully prepared to buy it on PS4 had I not found my PS5 just in time.



Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Kyuu said:

Much bigger than I expected. Launching close to Black Friday and the holiday season might give it really strong short term legs as well, and PS5 production improving should help it sustain strong sales in 2023. This would bode well for Sony's PC strategy, and give me hope that Nintendo will follow suit and try slowly exploring PC support in a few years.

Very impressive that it managed to easily beat GoW 2018's launch despite the PS5 supply situation and the increased software pricing. It reinforces my opinion that this will be Sony's strongest generation by a wide margin.

You have to keep in mind that GoW:R is also available on PS4 which mitigates the problems tied with the PS5 supply situation. I was fully prepared to buy it on PS4 had I not found my PS5 just in time.

It mitigates it but it doesn't eliminate it. Every other big Sony release on PS4+5 has been performing relatively poorly when compared to the last few PS4 years. Software sales, 1st and 3rd party alike, are on a notable decline despite the larger combined install base and Sony having one of their best years ever with 4 big releases (3 if you don't count remakes), because a lot of people already abandoned the PS4 and wish to play these anticipated games with less compromises.

I haven't touched my PS4 in over two years and am using my PC for gaming. Console software sales are capped right now.



I called it.

I at last deserve a small virtual cookie.



Qwark said:
archbrix said:

Awesome numbers for GOWR. Even though I still prefer the gameplay of the God of War games of yore, I will say that Ragnarok rocks all over 2018 in every way. And the realism of the graphics, facial expressions, animations, etc (particularly in the cutscenes) is so good, that even the kings at Naughty Dog are going to have their work cut out for them to top this.

If we can look forward to this level of visual fidelity at 60hz on the PS5, then cross-gen games aren't so bad after all.

There will be crossgen games for a very long time. I can see then making Spiderman 2 also being a crossgen title.

I strongly doubt that. As it stands, rumors suggest that GOW:R sold better on the PS5 than it did on the PS4. And the whole cross-gen thing is just to of-set the fact that they can't get PS5s out there fast enough.

If the rumors of a PS5 slim coming next year are true, then games like Spiderman 2 are exactly what they would use to kill off the PS4. By not making it cross-gen and even having a Spiderman 2 PS5 bundle available.