By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The critics regarding Pokemon Violet/Scarlet technical side are overblown

I am currently playing Pokemon Violet.

There is no denying that technically the game suffer from some problems. The framerate drop and the clipping is real. I have also encountered a bug where the buttons of my right joycon wouldn't register any input while the stick was working, and it was only in docked mode. It would work when the joycons were attached to the console. Rebooting the game solved the bug.

But despite these shortfalls, the game is absolutely playable and so far (12 hours of play) it's very very good and enjoyable. You get used very quickly to the clipping and don't pay attention anymore. It is unusual for Nintendo published game but very playable.

Yet , some people are talking about it like if the game was completely broken and unplayable. It's very far from the truth. This is no Assassin Creed Unity or Cyberpunk. The game plays smoothly and is ton of fun. This is better than I expected so far.

People who are expecting a bad word of mouths are fooling themselves. The game is much better than Arceus (real pokemon experience) and much better than Sword/Shield (lowest point in the serie). This is going to be an incredible and long lasting success. This is the spirit of Pokemon, the gameplay of Pokemon in a big open world.

Around the Network

12 hours!  Welp, pack it up, people, the show is over.  We now have definitive proof that the bugs are exaggerated.

On a completely unrelated note, some of these are hilarious.

The only thing I've reacted to is frame drops, but I also don't really care about frame drops (though I totally understand some people do).

I've just been having tons of fun and overall it's a very well-crafted game. Mostly shocked at how huge it is.

I've seen problems, but honestly if they are the sort of thing you had in Skyrim, 76, and Cyberpunk, then PC gamers are whiny.

In more seriousness, I do wonder if there is a difference between playing and hunting down and causing more severe problems.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Lucas-Rio said:

There is no denying that technically the game suffer from some problems. The framerate drop and the clipping is real. I have also encountered a bug where the buttons of my right joycon wouldn't register any input while the stick was working, and it was only in docked mode. It would work when the joycons were attached to the console. Rebooting the game solved the bug.

Hmm, yeah, that's all you had to say.

Lucas-Rio said:

Yet , some people are talking about it like if the game was completely broken and unplayable. It's very far from the truth. This is no Assassin Creed Unity or Cyberpunk. The game plays smoothly and is ton of fun. This is better than I expected so far.

I played Cyberpunk at launch and only had minor glitches here and there, on PC of course. Not even remotely close to unplayable. Maybe Pokémon isn't "unplayable" either, clearly people are playing it. I haven't heard any reports of Switch consoles melting, not yet at least, so it's fine.

Around the Network

No, the game has no excuse. We didn't allow Fallout 76 or Cyberpunk to get away with their tripe, why should Pokemon be any different? If we do not admit Pokemon has a problem, an increasingly worrying problem, they are then definitely are not going to move a finger to fix it. Getting used to the problem will not solve it.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

If I wouldnt give a pass to other franchises, certainly I wont to this one.

I love Pokemon, played every gen (Gen 5 is the best btw) but this is getting ridiculous. Visually it looks like a higher res 3ds game with more modern lighting. Performance wise it's way worse than I expected. Buggy as hell, game actually slows down due to poor optimization, can't even hold a stable 30fps either. The gameplay is fine and fun but everything else hampers my enjoyment. Genuinely disappointed. Pokemon is a huge IP, the mainline games could be so much more than what Game Freak is doing with it currently.

What do you feel is the the line at which a game becomes unplayable? Because in my head, having to reboot the game until the standard controls function qualifies.

Love and tolerate.

Game's average critic score is about 75. Which indicates that it enjoyable with some big flaws. Seems fair.