By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
SKMBlake said:
VersusEvil said:

Expecting 60fps in a core Bethesda game on console when they’ve never released a 60fps game on console (original release, not a FPS boosted or re-release) just makes you look silly, cmon now. 

When do you mean "never", I guess you never count their FPS games (Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein II, Wolfenstein Young Blood - by Arkane, Doom or Doom Eternal)

Please never quote me on this site ever again. 

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Around the Network

Finished VS DLC, the 100k run with Genevieve Gruyère achievement was actually a challenge. I’d rate this DLC a 6.5/10 which is still good and the DLC was fun but just not as good as the previous paid DLC (hero wise at least)

I took a look at the XGS release cadence and output, and I believe it is actually completely in line with industry standards.

Released a high quality game recently or is putting out high quality games at a rapid cadence, with latest game release in parenthesis:
Obsidian (2023, 2022)
Mojang (2023)
Double Fine (2021)
Playground (2021)
World's Edge (Age of Empires) (2021, 2022)
Inexile (2020)
The Coalition (2019)
Rare (on going SoT support, most recent content update 2022)

Released a game right before MS acquisition, and/or is still in development for new game:
Ninja Theory
Compulsion
Undead Labs
Major release imminent:
Turn 10

Studios with issues/"high profile failure" category
The initiative

In terms of studios that are genuinely embattled/putting out duds, the percentage is not even that dissimilar from SIE. I think the only difference is scale and expectations. No one was particularly shocked or upset about the recent failures of Bend and Media Molecule, but 343 and The Initiative were supposed to be flagship studios

for shits and giggles I did Zenimax:

Recently released a game:
Id (2020)
Tango Gameworks (2023, 2022)
Arkane Lyon (2021)
Zenimax Online (2022 ESO expansion)
Machine Games (2021 (quake next gen release), 2019)
Alpha Dog (2023)

Game release Imminent:
BGS (2023)
Arkane Austin (2023)

I think Microsoft Gaming as a publisher is held to an unrealistic and unfair standard by the games media broadly.

Technically it is not true that Bethesda has never aimed for 60 fps, Bethesda Game Studios did release a game with more than 30 fps in the past, Morrowind on OG Xbox ran above 30 fps, though it often fell short of it's maximum cap of 60 fps and ran around 50 fps alot of the time. It wasn't until Oblivion that they implemented the 30 fps cap.

While Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, and Fallout 76 were all locked to 30 fps on console upon release, it is worth noting that all of those released before 60 fps became the gold standard on console, during the years those first 4 games released, 2005-2015, most other console games were 30 fps with only a few like CoD aiming for 60 fps. By 2018 when Fallout 76 released, 60 fps on console had become quite alot more common than it had when their earlier games released, especially on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, and they disappointed quite a few people with the 30 fps cap on Fallout 76 because 60 fps had become more common by then and many were already too used to 60 fps to play a first person shooter like Fallout at 30 fps again.

Another 5 years have passed since Fallout 76, and 60 fps is truly the Gold standard on consoles now, pretty sure you can count the number of PS5/Xbox Series X released that don't at least have some kind of 30+ fps performance mode on one hand. In the past Bethesda could get away with not offering a 60 fps option, I'm not sure that they can now. Once people are used to 60 fps it becomes very difficult to ever enjoy 30 fps again, and I speak from experience there, I was one of those diehard 30 fps fans that for most of the past gen would always choose 30 fps for the better graphics over 60 fps for the better performance, but virtually every Series X game I have played for the last 3 years being 60 fps has ruined me for 30 fps, I tried the 30 fps modes on games like Witcher 3 Next Gen, Hogwarts Legacy, and Ghostwire Tokyo just this year so far, and turned each of them off within 5 minutes because I could see the frame changes and it was bugging the shit out of me, breaking my immersion.

My final word on the matter is this: Bethesda saw the backlash over not offering an optional 60 fps mode on Fallout 76 on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, they have seen virtually every PS5 and Series X game so far this generation offer an optional performance mode, and they have seen the large backlash their sister studio is receiving over Redfall being limited to 30 fps on release. They have 5 months before release, plenty of time to work on an optional performance mode ahead of release if they didn't already have one planned before now. They don't necessarily need to hit a locked 60 fps as many like myself have VRR screens now, but they do need to make a higher than 30 fps mode happen. If they don't, the backlash they will face will be 100% justified. 

shikamaru317 said:

My final word on the matter is this: Bethesda saw the backlash over not offering an optional 60 fps mode on Fallout 76 on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, they have seen virtually every PS5 and Series X game so far this generation offer an optional performance mode, and they have seen the large backlash their sister studio is receiving over Redfall being limited to 30 fps on release. They have 5 months before release, plenty of time to work on an optional performance mode ahead of release if they didn't already have one planned before now. They don't necessarily need to hit a locked 60 fps as many like myself have VRR screens now, but they do need to make a higher than 30 fps mode happen. If they don't, the backlash they will face will be 100% justified. 

You are setting yourself up for disappointment if you think core Bethesda care what forums dwellers, twitter scrubs and YT losers with dreamcast in the name think. Starfield will be 30fps so you better start hoping they spend the next 5 months making sure you don’t randomly fall off the planet and into the sun than implementing a wobbly 60fps :P

Around the Network
VersusEvil said:
SKMBlake said:

When do you mean "never", I guess you never count their FPS games (Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein II, Wolfenstein Young Blood - by Arkane, Doom or Doom Eternal)

When you respond to VersusEvil, but miss a crucial detail.

coolbeans said:
VersusEvil said:

And I’ll deal with you later ;)

VersusEvil said:
shikamaru317 said:

You are setting yourself up for disappointment if you think core Bethesda care what forums dwellers, twitter scrubs and YT losers with dreamcast in the name think. Starfield will be 30fps so you better start hoping they spend the next 5 months making sure you don’t randomly fall off the planet and into the sun than implementing a wobbly 60fps :P

I'm honestly not worried about the usual Bethesda bugs this time around, not only has their wonky ass Creation engine supposedly been largely rebuilt for Starfield, but we also heard that the game was pretty much content complete more than a year before it's September 2023 release date, a year to fix bugs and optimize is a hell of a long time, some of Bethesda's past games pretty much released hot, like only a month or two after they were content complete. Then add on to that the fact that Bethesda Game Studios has more than double the staff on Starfield than they had on Fallout 4.

In fact it was rumored that Bethesda wanted to release in Q2 as planned with only 30 fps, and Xbox asked for the delay to September for extra polish as well as a 60 fps mode (and possibly to give Xbox more time to produce Series X units for Starfield bundles). I remember reading that around the time the delay to September happened. Phil himself suggested he was behind the first Starfield delay from Holiday 2022 to Q2 2023, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if he was behind the 2nd delay as well. Also wouldn't surprise me if he asked them to do 60 fps. This is Xbox's biggest exclusive release of the year, possibly of the entire generation since TES 6 may slip into the next-gen Xbox release window, pretty much all of their eggs are in the Starfield basket, why would Phil allow a 30 fps only release on their biggest exclusive of 2023, after 3 straight years of pretty much every game offering performance modes on Xbox Series X, first and third party? 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 16 April 2023

coolbeans said:
VersusEvil said:

Indeed, I didn't saw that he decided to create a humanoid form called "Core Bethesda" that would mean whatever he wants it to mean.

VersusEvil said:
SKMBlake said:

I won't