By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
rapsuperstar31 said:
aTokenYeti said:

The whole debate over FF16 has had me thinking about Sony's whole content exclusivity strategy over the last 10-15 years. Each individual instance of exclusive DLC, or a timed exclusive game, or a full exclusive game, doesn't compare to MS buying up a major publisher. But in aggregate and over the course of those last 10-15 they have done enormous damage to the Xbox brand, bordering on incalculable. The general expectation among the gaming public is that if you buy an Xbox, you are going to have a degraded and lesser experience with AAA third party games. You will have fewer of them, and the ones you do get will have less content or launch permanently incomplete on the Xbox version.

As Sony has whittled away Xbox's market share, the cost for them to secure these deals got cheaper and cheaper, and the cost for Xbox to secure similar deals got more and more expensive, to the point that the cost for Xbox to secure a timed 3rd party exclusive was about similar to simply buying the studio outright. Sony had to have known this, which why I genuinely think their strategy for 9th gen was to simply expect xbox to exit the console industry after 9th gen was completed. Recall the "playstation advantage" marketing campaign. It is so clear in hindsight they were going for a killshot, and they did not expect xbox to fight back, because the only way xbox could reasonably fight back was outright buying publishers en masse.

I think this is why there is so much panic in their CMA response documents. They know their exclusivity strategy is backfiring now, and they know they cannot compete if the industry is going towards an M&A lead consolidation. They are selling way more consoles right this moment, but the long term cost to forcing MS (yes, forcing) into buying publishers to ensure at minimum content parity with PlayStation is going to do huge long term damage to the brand.

I think you're both right and wrong there.  Microsoft started it, buying up Halo which was being made for both Mac and Playstation 2.  The Xbox 360 didn't have any problems competing with the PS3.  The PS3 didn't have too many more games than the 360 2563 vs 2157 games.  The 360 had a lot of full paid exclusivity and paid timed exclusivity deals on the first Bioshock, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Alan Wake, Dead or Alive 4/Extreme, Ace Combat 6, Blue Dragon, Crash Bandicoot Mind over Mutant (not on ps3), Dead Rising, Elder Scrolls IV, Last Remnant, Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Lost Planet, Metro 2033, Need for Speed, Naruto, Ninja Blade, Ninja Gaiden 2, Phantasy Star Universe, Quake 4, Ridge Racer 6, Saints Row, Witcher 2, Beyond Good and Evil HD, Braid, and 100's of other ones of various degrees.  Sony may be worse, but neither Sony nor Microsoft is innocent in the exclusivity deals.

How can MS start it when Sony was making all kinds of 3rd party exclusive deal and buying studios during the ps1 and ps2 era? MS had to buy studios like Bungie and secure games like Halo to get into console gaming or else what's the point. MS got smoked during the 6th gen so they had make big 3rd party deals if they wanted to compete with PS3 in anyway. They couldn't go through another 6th gen situation or else they would have probably given up after the 7th gen.

I don't blame Sony for making moves to be the dominate player in console gaming, but MS has every right to push back and do what they can to be competitive as well. 

Last edited by smroadkill15 - on 10 April 2023

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

Goddamnit. Big loss for Xbox.

I wonder if the combination of working on the mess of Halo Infinite, all that effort to try to fix it, only to watch his entire team be fired contributed to his decision to leave Microsoft as a whole. It certainly feels like it with this timing, I saw his Twitter after the layoffs and all he was focusing on was helping his team find new work. It probably hit him personally.

I'll miss him, he was one of the best faces of both XGSP and 343i while he was there.

Indeed big loss. Now hopefully is the right time to finally put Halo franchise to rest.

Ryuu96 said:

Jez said on Xbox Two Microsoft and Square have bad blood but didn't elaborate, Lol.

I call this bullshit, especially considering "didn't elaborate" part.

smroadkill15 said:
VersusEvil said:

Jim Ryan is the Don Mattrick of PlayStation. At least when the deal passes he’s out of a job so.

I doubt it. He may have said some dumb stuff, but nothing that was truly harmful. PlayStation is in a great spot and selling like crazy. There is only so much influence he can have on outside "issues" like the ABK deal. 

Yep. Jim Ryan is far from being Don Mattrick of PlayStation even though he says a lot of dumb things. Even with such person at the top, PlayStation is still far ahead of Xbox. He can say whatever he says, as it doesn't seem to hurt the PlayStation brand at all. Don Mattrick on the other hand, he did damage to Xbox brand that still hasn't been fixed after 10 years. And no way Jim is getting fired over Activision deal going through lol.

shikamaru317 said:

-Convince developers to not release on Xbox at all. We have seen this with Stellar Blade (announced for Xbox under it's original codename, now a PS5 lifetime exclusive), Mihoyo (Genshin Impact still hasn't been ported to Xbox and now their new game isn't coming to Xbox either, even the Switch port of Genshin announced 2+ years ago feels dead in the water thanks to Sony money), Kena (PS5 timed exclusive period has been over for more than 6 months but still no Xbox port), and more.

I doubt Sony pays to keep Genshin off Xbox. Mobile is where money is. There is simply no motivation for the dev to port the game to Xbox when the 99% of target audience is on mobile or in the worst case PC. Xbox gamers have phones already. They can play this game there.

Yeah, developers/publishers really need to stop using IGN First as marketing for their games. More often than not it actually hurts the game in question because most gaming journalists suck at games and their poor gameplay footage makes the game look worse than it is.  I mean seriously, look at how bad this is, it got 5x more dislikes than likes. What blunder by Microsoft choosing IGN First to market a game like Redfall that has already struggled with marketing right from the first teaser trailer announce:

Around the Network

Sony has to keep appealing, their entire company depends on COD having timed exclusive content on PS.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Obsidian | Unity Gameplay Programmer (Contract)

Interesting.

Another smaller Unity project coming from someone...?

But who.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 09 April 2023

Ryuu96 said:

Interesting.

Another Pentiment-level title coming down the pipeline?

coolbeans said:
Ryuu96 said:

Interesting.

Another Pentiment-level title coming down the pipeline?

Maybe...Unless it's an old job posting which wasn't taken down, unlikely, Lol.

Avowed, Grounded and The Outer Worlds are obviously Unreal Engine. Pentiment was Unity.

Obsidian has so many damn Directors that it could be Saywer or a number of others, Lol.