By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

As a Consumer Would You Rather?

Traditional Console + Everything Exclusive 13 38.24%

Xbox/PC Hybrid + Access t... 21 61.76%

Total:34
G2ThaUNiT said:
Ryuu96 said:

Jill Braff, head of ZeniMax studios, said in the town hall that she hoped the reorganization would allow the division, which also develops Fallout and Doom, to put more focus on fewer projects.

This basically confirms the decision was to make Bethesda focus solely on Elder Scrolls, Fallout...Maybe Doom.

Where does that leave MachineGames then? After Indiana Jones, we have no idea what they're working on. 

They do love the Quake series if they wanna take that off of id Software's hands. 

Probably doing more licensed games.  When you think about it a license game gives the best possible outcome for the game to recoup the cost of development if the license is popular enough.  You only have to look at the license games coming from Sony to see how well that works out.  I believe there will be a group dedicated to pumping out some popular license.  A group you working solely on popular internal IP and you might even have some working on smaller games or AA games but we will see with that.  I am not surprised now that I look at the dynamics to see this consolidation because if we look at how well other split studios have gone, they have not been all that successful.  Splitting your teams to make more games isn't always the best solution and in certain situations it just split your ability to develop quality within the games you are doing because you just do not have enough senior people working on the project.

Around the Network
Analysing this from the perspective of the bean counters, they have some pretty convincing arguments and hard questions to answer for the Gaming division:

- ABK was the biggest acquisition in MS history and we made important sacrifices from an economical, legal and even reputational perspective during the review process. Why should we let you run it on your own terms as a division?

- Without ABK, the Gaming division would have single digit or negative growth. What have you been doing during the last 5-6 years?

- ABK was very successful and made a lot of money using a premium model focused on huge IPs. What happened to our own huge IPs and why haven't been able to create new ones?

- Bethesda has huge IPs that haven't received a new entry in years and will need 4-5 extra years to have a new game (Elder Scrolls or Fallout). What are you waiting for and why?

- Starfield was the only new IP in 2023 that entered the Top 10 of the most played games. Then, why are you wasting time and money on smaller, riskier and less profitable projects?

- Game Pass growth has stalled and it affects 20-25% of premium sales. Why should we sacrifice (part) of the huge IPs that we have recently acquired and that generate almost all your profits?

And a few more…

From the perspective of the ones focusing on numbers, many of the arguments make sense.

The issue is that these moves are colliding with a very different strategy that has been presented during years and that in the end has mainly failed from a hardware, software and even services perspective.

And now the shift on the strategy feels sudden and even brutal (with a very poor and insensitive execution), but the signs were likely there from years ago.

Ryuu96 said:

Is SteamDeck 2 rumoured or anything? Any information on if it's happening? When it could happen?

How does SteamDeck compare with ASUS Ally in terms of resolution and framerate?

What are your reviews on SteamDeck and ASUS Ally?

Valve has said that they are considering further hardware additions, but that’s kind of been it lol. It really depends on how cheap hardware that would be considered “next gen” in a handheld becomes. I wouldn’t expect anything until at least 2025 or even 2026.

shikamaru317 said:

"What you're seeing is advanced warfare."

Last edited by coolbeans - on 10 May 2024

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

Is SteamDeck 2 rumoured or anything? Any information on if it's happening? When it could happen?

I've only seen one SteamDeck 2 leak, and it's from a dubious source. That source said:

• Increase from 800p screen to 900p OLED with a 90hz refresh rate
  • Zen 4 CPU, up from Zen 2 on SteamDeck 1
  • RDNA 4 GPU, up from RDNA 2 on SteamDeck 1, with double the compute units (probably around a 3x upgrade in performance)
  • Higher price tag than SteamDeck 1
  • Launch in Q3-Q4 2026

The source is dubious at best, so probably not all that accurate.

As for how the current PC handhelds compare:

Screen- Lenovo Legion Go wins by a landslide, as the only handheld with a 1440p screen and 144hz refresh rate, Ally has 1080p and SteamDeck 800p, both with lower refresh rates

Specs- Legion Go with a slight edge over ROG Ally, both have the same CPU and GPU but Legion Go has faster RAM, both are a GPU and CPU generation ahead of SteamDeck

Battery Life- Legion Go has the largest battery, but with a caveat that it's higher resolution screen will be more battery draining, so battery life will likely only improve over the others at a lower resolution. ROG Ally and Legion Go both use fast chargers that will charge them in half the time of Steam Deck

OS-Steam Deck is a Linux-based OS, which means only games with Linux ports are playable. You can install Windows on SteamDeck, but buying a Windows License will increase the costs, negating some of it's price advantage over ROG Ally and Legion Go

Price- Steam Deck is the cheapest of the 3 with pricing ranging between $400 and $650 for it's 3 models. ROG Ally and Legion Go both have a high end $700 model, while Ally also has a low end model with a weaker chipset that is closer to Steam Deck in performance for $600

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 09 May 2024

Ryuu96 said:

I'm unimpressed with what AMD current latest 780m (used in z1 extreme) offer over the steamdeck apu in terms of perf/watt and I suppose Valve have the same conclusion. So I think they are waiting for RDNA 4 at minimum.

konnichiwa said:

Vampire survivors Contra DLC is out today (no achievements tho-

No achievements? That is very disappointing. Though, I will still pick it up and play through the new content. Unlike the Among Us DLC, which I didn't bother getting as I don't care for that game.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

I've only seen one SteamDeck 2 leak, and it's from a dubious source. That source said:

• Increase from 800p screen to 900p OLED, while sticking with a 90hz refresh rate
  • Zen 4 CPU, up from Zen 2 on SteamDeck 1
  • RDNA 4 GPU, up from RDNA 2 on SteamDeck 1, with double the compute units (probably at least a 3x upgrade)
  • Higher price tag than SteamDeck 1
  • Launch in Q3-Q4 2026

The source is dubious at best, so probably not all that accurate.

As for how the current PC handhelds compare:

Screen- Lenovo Legion Go wins by a landslide, as the only handheld with a 1440p screen, Ally has 1080p and SteamDeck 800p

Specs- Legion Go with a slight edge over ROG Ally, both have the same CPU and GPU but Legion Go has faster RAM, both are a GPU and CPU generation ahead of SteamDeck

Battery Life- Legion Go has the largest battery, but with a caveat that it's higher resolution screen will be more battery draining, so battery life will likely only improve over the others at a lower resolution. ROG Ally and Legion Go both use fast chargers that will charge them in half the time of Steam Deck

OS-Steam Deck is a Linux-based OS, which means only games with Linux ports are playable. You can install Windows on SteamDeck, but buying a Windows License will increase the costs, negating some of it's price advantage over ROG Ally and Legion Go

Upgradeability- Steam Deck is the most upgradeable of the 3, allowing both RAM and SSD upgrades with ease. ROG Ally and Legion Go allow SSD upgrades but both have their RAM soldered to the motherboard.

Price- Steam Deck is the cheapest of the 3 with pricing ranging between $400 and $650 for it's 3 models. ROG Ally and Legion Go both have a high end $700 model, while Ally also has a low end model with a weaker chipset that is closer to Steam Deck in performance for $600

Not entire true. Valve created a compatibility layer called Proton which is what allows Windows based games to play on Linux. A huge majority of the Steam library is compatible with Steam Deck now. 

The big thing that's also held up Windows based handheld PCs is Windows. The OS just doesn't work well with handheld devices like that. But, that does seem to be finally getting addressed with Windows being optimized for handheld PCs, which does help with the rumors about an Xbox handheld. 

If MS is able to nail the OS, that could be a bit of a detriment to Steam Deck because it now offers the same functionality that Steam Deck offered from the start, just with more consumer friendly practices such as right to self repair.

G2ThaUNiT said:
shikamaru317 said:

-snip-

Not entire true. Valve created a compatibility layer called Proton which is what allows Windows based games to play on Linux. A huge majority of the Steam library is compatible with Steam Deck now. 

The big thing that's also held up Windows based handheld PCs is Windows. The OS just doesn't work well with handheld devices like that. But, that does seem to be finally getting addressed with Windows being optimized for handheld PCs, which does help with the rumors about an Xbox handheld. 

If MS is able to nail the OS, that could be a bit of a detriment to Steam Deck because it now offers the same functionality that Steam Deck offered from the start, just with more consumer friendly practices such as right to self repair.

Agreed, Microsoft badly needs to make a proper handheld OS, which they probably are considering the rumors that the Xbox handheld will release within the next 2 years.