By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
the-pi-guy said:

The entire discussion about Xbox multiplatform is interesting. 

Sony has been talking a while about how exclusives have less value past two years. They start giving away the games through PS+, and port it to PC at around that point, because they aren't selling as much anymore.

But if you take that a step further, is there another point where it makes sense to put your game on competing platforms?

Would it make sense to bring God of War to Xbox? Especially if the plan was not day 1, but say 4 years later.

Xbox players could play God of War for $70, whereas PS owners at that point would be playing it for "free" through PS+. So there are still exclusive benefits. Or even ignoring PS+, it might be $20 on PS at that point. 

Similarly, PS players could be playing Starfield for $70, whereas XB owners are paying $20 for the game or they're getting it "free" through Gamepass.

Maybe there's some kind of situation like that, where players can still benefit from being in a platform, but other players are still able to experience the same games. You still practically have exclusives, but patient gamers could still play whatever game. 

Ideally this would be wonderful. The hardware is just a means and everything is available across all platforms. Platform holders would have to come to some sort of agreement. With the increasing development cost and time it takes to make games now, releasing on as many platforms is going to be almost necessary to see a return. 

Around the Network
aTokenYeti said:

It’s wild, at the end of 2021 I was so optimistic about the future of Xbox, just 2 years and a full publisher purchased later it looks like they are throwing in the towel.

I wouldn't be surprised if in addition to the inevitable exit from the console business (could be 5 years from now, 10, maybe a little more) that at some point Microsoft just stops with any IPs that have been created under them (Gears, Forza, etc.) and just publishes stuff like Minecraft and distributes or publishes the many devs and even some publishers they've bought up. 

Why worry about Gears, Forza, Halo, and the like when you have Minecraft, Elder Scrolls (and other Bethesda stuff), and Call of Duty? 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

If they continue to support and release Xbox controllers for the foreseeable future I think I will be ok with this all. I absolutely connect stand symmetrical joystick controllers like dual shock and dual sense.

I am also not sure they will ever fully exit the games hardware industry. Even having 20 million people locked into a storefront is too lucrative to just give up for nothing.

aTokenYeti said:

If they continue to support and release Xbox controllers for the foreseeable future I think I will be ok with this all. I absolutely connect stand symmetrical joystick controllers like dual shock and dual sense.

I am also not sure they will ever fully exit the games hardware industry. Even having 20 million people locked into a storefront is too lucrative to just give up for nothing.

There's plenty of asymmetric gamepads out there so you'll never have to worry about that. 8bitdo ultimate is great or for a bit more the new gulikit kk3 max looks phenomenal.

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 04 February 2024

One underrated aspect of MS going Multiplatform will be the effect on PlayStation, which I see as being entirely negative. I see the PS6 launching at no less than $650, and Sony raising game prices to $90 or more.

Around the Network

Xbox Era and others reporting Starfield is going multiplat as well.

https://youtu.be/CQeezCdF4mk?si=1EOK-HMJPSWANgfu

The thing is, with Xbox already having games skipping their platforms, losing "console" exclusives is just a weird move. Outside of Gamepass it doesn't look like an appealing console choice. I'm finding myself in the same spot as others where it's just a hard sell, especially if they are going the all digital route in future gens. I feel like I need to reiterate that this has nothing to do with console wars but just what makes sense logically as a consumer.idk seems like they are self sabotaging their console market and then will have a nice excuse to pull out in years time due to lack of interest. Anyways, sorry to be a bummer

What hurts the most is people were right about Phil being a liar and a conman

Spoiler!
I'm jk about the last part, lol

ice said:

The thing is, with Xbox already having games skipping their platforms, losing "console" exclusives is just a weird move. Outside of Gamepass it doesn't look like an appealing console choice. I'm finding myself in the same spot as others where it's just a hard sell, especially if they are going the all digital route in future gens. I feel like I need to reiterate that this has nothing to do with console wars but just what makes sense logically as a consumer.idk seems like they are self sabotaging their console market and then will have a nice excuse to pull out in years time due to lack of interest. Anyways, sorry to be a bummer

What hurts the most is people were right about Phil being a liar and a conman

Spoiler!
I'm jk about the last part, lol

To be honest this decision is ultimately probably being made for Phil, rather than by him. They just spent $70 billion, they were told by the government they can’t make that $70 billion purchase exclusive, and the economy is awful for tech companies right now. MS bean counters are probably saying they need to start making immediate ROI, and they don’t have another 20 years to try and rebuild the ecosystem after the disastrous 2010s. 

Tomorrow should clear everything up I guess. I imagine the rumours of MS addressing it then must be true. There's suddenly far too much noise from far too many people so quickly that I think official info has to be imminent.

aTokenYeti said:

It’s wild, at the end of 2021 I was so optimistic about the future of Xbox, just 2 years and a full publisher purchased later it looks like they are throwing in the towel.

They arent, they are thinking long term which by owning IPs and popular brands - they can get more profit/revenue from it by doing deals like this.