By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Around the Network
G2ThaUNiT said:
shikamaru317 said:

-Snip-

I wonder how much of it has to do with this version of RE Engine being at least 7-8 years old now and was originally designed for very linear games instead of open world games. DD2 is the engines first game to exclusively be on current-gen consoles. Everything else the engine has been built on has been cross-gen up to this point. Even the Monster Hunter Wilds reveal graphically looked fine, but didn't blow me away. We do know that Capcom is currently working on an upgraded version of RE Engine though, but unknown when that will be ready.

The single save slot is the most bizarre though. Almost seems like a design choice this time around. 

My PC specs are from 2018, and I'm hoping the requirements aren't going to be insanely heavy. 

RE Engine games tend to not be overly hardware intensive from what I have seen, there were far more graphics intensive games released last year than Res 4 Remake, including Starfield and Alan Wake 2. Res 4 Remake can be ran at 1080p Ultra settings minus ray tracing on a $200 GPU with average FPS over 60, and even with RT on you can run at 1080p, ultra settings, 60 fps on a 3060 or a 2070. RE Engine games also tend to have FSR support as well as RE Engine's own built in checkerboard rendering mode, either of which you can use to boost framerate significantly with only a minimal visual impact. Dragon's Dogma 2 will likely be a bit more graphics intensive than RE4 since it is open world, but I would imagine even on a 2018 PC you should at least be able to manage a mix of medium and high settings with FSR performance mode on, maybe even straight high settings and FSR balanced mode. What 2018 specs do you have? 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 29 January 2024

Ugh, f*ck Embracer Group. Just saw the report about them laying off a bunch of Eidos devs and cancelling the next Deus Ex which has been in pre-production there for 2 years and was about to start full production. First shitty Square Enix stops Deus Ex right after the 2nd game of the Adam Jensen trilogy/series (with multiple story threads left unresolved) to chase after a Marvel deal, now this. We Deus Ex fans just keep losing.

Please Microsoft, buy Crystal and Eidos off of Embracer soon, save them from those rat bastards before they do any more damage to them. 

May need to go take a shot of copium by replaying Human Revolution for the 4th time soon, this time with that ENB mod somebody designed for it a few years back that adds in ray tracing reflections and the AI upscaled high res texture mod. 

shikamaru317 said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

I wonder how much of it has to do with this version of RE Engine being at least 7-8 years old now and was originally designed for very linear games instead of open world games. DD2 is the engines first game to exclusively be on current-gen consoles. Everything else the engine has been built on has been cross-gen up to this point. Even the Monster Hunter Wilds reveal graphically looked fine, but didn't blow me away. We do know that Capcom is currently working on an upgraded version of RE Engine though, but unknown when that will be ready.

The single save slot is the most bizarre though. Almost seems like a design choice this time around. 

My PC specs are from 2018, and I'm hoping the requirements aren't going to be insanely heavy. 

RE Engine games tend to not be overly hardware intensive from what I have seen, there were far more graphics intensive games released last year than Res 4 Remake, including Starfield and Alan Wake 2. Res 4 Remake can be ran at 1080p Ultra settings minus ray tracing on a $200 GPU with average FPS over 60, and even with RT on you can run at 1080p, ultra settings, 60 fps on a 3060 or a 2070 Super. RE Engine games also tend to have FSR support as well as RE Engine's own built in checkerboard rendering mode, either of which you can use to boost framerate significantly with only a minimal visual impact. Dragon's Dogma 2 will likely be a bit more graphics intensive than RE4 since it is open world, but I would imagine even on a 2018 PC you should at least be able to manage a mix of medium and high settings with FSR performance mode on, maybe even straight high settings and FSR balanced mode. What 2018 specs do you have? 

Yeah that's a good point. I should be more concerned about Hellblade 2 lol. UE5 games so far have proven to be absurdly power hungry and not as optimized as you would like. 

I've been rocking a Ryzen 2700X with an RTX 2080 OC since 2018. My SSD shows I've written over 8TB of data over the years Not that bad overall but having only 8GB of VRAM is proving to be a crutch with modern games. I may make the switch to Radeon for my next build just to have more VRAM lol

I actually find limited fast travel where you can manually set the checkpoints to be a great approach. Of course, the implementation in DD1 had room for improvement, mainly because of other systems around it, but I would not call it outdated in any sense of the word.

Unlike a good chunk of open world games, I'd love it if devs started making traversal more meaningful other than a one-and-done affair that it becomes when you can fast travel everywhere.

Around the Network
G2ThaUNiT said:
shikamaru317 said:

RE Engine games tend to not be overly hardware intensive from what I have seen, there were far more graphics intensive games released last year than Res 4 Remake, including Starfield and Alan Wake 2. Res 4 Remake can be ran at 1080p Ultra settings minus ray tracing on a $200 GPU with average FPS over 60, and even with RT on you can run at 1080p, ultra settings, 60 fps on a 3060 or a 2070 Super. RE Engine games also tend to have FSR support as well as RE Engine's own built in checkerboard rendering mode, either of which you can use to boost framerate significantly with only a minimal visual impact. Dragon's Dogma 2 will likely be a bit more graphics intensive than RE4 since it is open world, but I would imagine even on a 2018 PC you should at least be able to manage a mix of medium and high settings with FSR performance mode on, maybe even straight high settings and FSR balanced mode. What 2018 specs do you have? 

Yeah that's a good point. I should be more concerned about Hellblade 2 lol. UE5 games so far have proven to be absurdly power hungry and not as optimized as you would like. 

I've been rocking a Ryzen 2700X with an RTX 2080 OC since 2018. My SSD shows I've written over 8TB of data over the years Not that bad overall but having only 8GB of VRAM is proving to be a crutch with modern games. I may make the switch to Radeon for my next build just to have more VRAM lol

Oh yeah, those specs should be fine for Dragon's Dogma 2, RE4 was not CPU intensive at all, I've seen people playing it on high settings on older gen Ryzen 3 and Intel Core i3 CPU's with well over 60 fps, so a Ryzen 7 2700x shouldn't be a hindrance at all in a RE Engine game. As for that GPU, based on the benchmarks I'm looking at the 2080 could run RE4 at 1440p, max settings, with Ray tracing on with a minimum framerate of over 60 fps, and with FSR balanced or performance mode you'd probably even be able to handle 4K with ray tracing in RE4 on a 2080. 

Hellblade 2 and Avowed are definitely a much bigger concern for your system, UE5 is much more hardware intensive engine than RE Engine from what we have seen of it so far, even Palworld is struggling and it has pretty outdated graphics unlike Avowed and especially Hellblade 2.

And yeah, 8GB of VRAM is starting to become limiting, we've now seen more recent games like Alan Wake 2 which need 12 or 16 GB if you want both Ultra settings and Ray tracing, testing even showed that Alan Wake 2 can use more than 16 GB of VRAM if you want 4K, Ultra Settings, with both ray tracing and path tracing enabled, 17.8 GB were used in testing on a 4090 24 GB.

Alan Wake 2 is the most hardware intensive game to date afaik, at least until Hellblade 2 likely surpasses it.

This game is just sad.

G2ThaUNiT said:

Looking into this more closely, this is an extremely odd choice by Phil. For starters, it's usually better to promote from within than to bring in an outsider, and there were plenty of experienced people at Blizzard. On top of that, she is fairly inexperienced in the gaming industry, she only joined Activision 5 years ago, before that she was with the NFL, mostly in their marketing department. After joining Activision she spent 2 years as Commissioner of CoD eSports, 1 year as the Senior Vice President in charge of CoD eSports Leagues, and then 2 years as the general manager of the CoD brand (and of course during her reign we got the most lackluster CoD release to date in Modern Warfare 3, rushed out with 2 years of development and alot of issues). Her credentials aren't exactly bad, but I don't know if they are enough to lead a 5000+ person studio that manages like 5 different IP currently, 4 of which currently have active GaaS products. 

shikamaru317 said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

Looking into this more closely, this is an extremely odd choice by Phil. For starters, it's usually better to promote from within than to bring in an outsider, and there were plenty of experienced people at Blizzard. On top of that, she is fairly inexperienced in the gaming industry, she only joined Activision 5 years ago, before that she was with the NFL, mostly in their marketing department. After joining Activision she spent 2 years as Commissioner of CoD eSports, 1 year as the Senior Vice President in charge of CoD eSports Leagues, and then 2 years as the general manager of the CoD brand (and of course during her reign we got the most lackluster CoD release to date in Modern Warfare 3, rushed out with 2 years of development and alot of issues). Her credentials aren't exactly bad, but I don't know if they are enough to lead a 5000+ person studio that manages like 5 different IP currently, 4 of which currently have active GaaS products. 

Yeah I completely agree. On the surface, it looks like she may be there to shore up Blizzard's esports scene, which is definitely a major part of their overall business these days unfortunately. She doesn't seem like the type that would go "hey, you guys messed up remaking one of the most important and beloved video games of all time with Warcraft 3: Reforged. I want you to completely fix it!" lol 

She seems more like the type that will look to see at how Blizzard's esports scene can continue to grow *cough Starcraft 3* and find additional ways their current GaaS products can continue to be played for years to come. 

Not what I loved about Blizzard, but she seems to make sense from a business perspective. We won't really see the fruits of her labor for at least another year or two.