By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I hope we get to see some new S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 gameplay posted online! 

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
shikamaru317 said:

With this information we can get a fairly accurate estimate on Xbox's monthly gamepass revenue. Xbox had 25m Gamepass subs the last time they announced numbers, probably more than that now but we will stick with 25m for now.

• 70-80% of 25m is 17.5-20m subs on Gamepass Ultimate, at $15 per month currently is $263-300m per month. With the price of Ultimate soon increasing to $17 a month, that will go up to $298-340m per month from Gamepass Ultimate.
  • 20-30% of 25m is 5-7.5m subs on Gamepass Console or Gamepass PC. At $10 per month currently that is $50-75m per month. The price for Gamepass console will soon increase to $11 per month, but since there is no way to know the console/PC split on this price tier, we can't just say they will be making $55-82.5m per month soon, because PC people will still be paying $10 while console will be paying $11.
  • Combined, we are soon looking at at least $350m per month in revenue for Xbox after the price increase (However, it is worth noting that not everyone pays for Gamepass, some use Xbox Rewards points to pay for it. Others meanwhile stock up on discounted yearly cards and such instead of paying the monthly fee, so the actual revenue for Gamepass is likely lower than $350m per month or $4.2b per year)

Also interesting that Xbox is considering locking ABK behind Ultimate just like EA Play. Looks like Ultimate is definitely the way to go for most people.

With more premium games coming day one and the usual business of gradually increasing subscription prices i wont be surprise dif MS can get away with charging $25 for XGU by the end of the generation.

Not yet but that will only happen if MS can consistently knock out bangers.  The problem with any sub is that anyone can sub for one month and drop it.  For a sub to work, the service must consistently churn out enough hits to make it worth it.  There is a balance betweeen what people feel is worth continue support and what is not, especially with most consumers already subscribing to other services.

I personally do not believe that MS will go to much above 15 for ultimate may be 17 at the most because charging the service to much this early would doom it from gaining the amount of subs needed to sustain it.  What MS really would want is everyone sub to Ultimate so putting all of ABK games into the top tier makes sense as they do need to differiate between the 3 levels.  

Personally I think it would have been a much better proposition if MS acquired Sega and did that instead of ABK.  I am trying hard to think of any particular game coming out from ABK that entice someone to get Ultimate who doesn't already subscribe. Its not like ABK current lineup of console games are that much.

Machiavellian said:
jason1637 said:

With more premium games coming day one and the usual business of gradually increasing subscription prices i wont be surprise dif MS can get away with charging $25 for XGU by the end of the generation.

Not yet but that will only happen if MS can consistently knock out bangers.  The problem with any sub is that anyone can sub for one month and drop it.  For a sub to work, the service must consistently churn out enough hits to make it worth it.  There is a balance betweeen what people feel is worth continue support and what is not, especially with most consumers already subscribing to other services.

I personally do not believe that MS will go to much above 15 for ultimate may be 17 at the most because charging the service to much this early would doom it from gaining the amount of subs needed to sustain it.  What MS really would want is everyone sub to Ultimate so putting all of ABK games into the top tier makes sense as they do need to differiate between the 3 levels.  

Personally I think it would have been a much better proposition if MS acquired Sega and did that instead of ABK.  I am trying hard to think of any particular game coming out from ABK that entice someone to get Ultimate who doesn't already subscribe. Its not like ABK current lineup of console games are that much.

Microsoft this month did increase the price of Game Pass. Game Pass for Console went from $10 to $11 per month and Game Pass Ultimate went from $15 to $17 per month. PC Game Pass remained $10 per month. This is the first time the price of Game Pass has gone up.

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/457606/xbox-series-x-and-xbox-game-pass-price-to-increase-in-most-markets/

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Machiavellian said:
jason1637 said:

I personally do not believe that MS will go to much above 15 for ultimate may be 17 at the most because charging the service to much this early would doom it from gaining the amount of subs needed to sustain it. 

Oh boy XD.  Price is already up their from 6th of July.

Anyway gamepass got some changes this year that makes it clear that it also financially hurts, making rewards harder (no more points for an achievement except if it is an gamepass game, changes values etc.    

With gold becoming gamepass core starfield in Septemer and I guess Abk deal finally done they want to artifially create an rise in gamepass numbers...

Ryuu96 said:

jason1637 aid:

Just had a 5 minute wait time on Xcloud because there were lots of people using the servers. If its that popular it makes a bit more sense why the CMA focused on it so much.

Or it's so small capacity that it gets server slammed easily

Microsoft admitted to the CMA that xCloud in UK only has a 5,000 concurrent user capacity and that is their 2nd strongest market

Wow didnt know the servers were that limited in the first place. (edit- idk why the formatting came out weird)

Ryuu96 said:
jason1637 said:

I can believe this. Zenimax is a subsidiary so i'd imagine if they weren't bought out they'd have remakes/remasters in the works to fill in the gaps between starfield and es6 and then fallout 5 which might be a decade away.

I've my doubts it's real, especially since Todd seemed against the idea of remastering the older Elder Scrolls titles and I doubt Microsoft would go over his head.

Todd Howard Doesn't Really Want to Remaster Bethesda Games – Destructoid

But you make a good point, Zenimax was sort of struggling recently until the buyout, Bethesda Game Studios arguably carries the entire Zenimax division with how small sellers Arkane/Tango are and now MachineGames is God knows where on Indiana Jones. ID Software is a strong seller though.

But after Starfield (which according to Phil, if not for the buyout would have released a lot earlier than 2023) they'd be waiting years for the next Elder Scrolls and there's no guarantee that Starfield (a new IP) has the same legs that Skyrim has until then.

I do wonder how well Oblivion will sell in todays age though, Skyrim definitely feels like the moment Elder Scrolls went mass market, I've actually had to explain multiple times to people in the past that Oblivion and Skyrim are the same franchise, Lmao. Somehow they miss "The Elder Scrolls" part of the title.

I think Todd probably changed his mind if this rumor pans out to be true. 

I think a well done Oblivion remake would perform pretty well today. Would easily sell over 10m.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
jason1637 said:

Like others mentioned the prices are already at these numbers. Adding ABK into the mix gives MS a bigger library to sell us on for price increases 

jason1637 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Or it's so small capacity that it gets server slammed easily

Microsoft admitted to the CMA that xCloud in UK only has a 5,000 concurrent user capacity and that is their 2nd strongest market

Wow didnt know the servers were that limited in the first place.

Ryuu96 said:

I've my doubts it's real, especially since Todd seemed against the idea of remastering the older Elder Scrolls titles and I doubt Microsoft would go over his head.

Todd Howard Doesn't Really Want to Remaster Bethesda Games – Destructoid

But you make a good point, Zenimax was sort of struggling recently until the buyout, Bethesda Game Studios arguably carries the entire Zenimax division with how small sellers Arkane/Tango are and now MachineGames is God knows where on Indiana Jones. ID Software is a strong seller though.

But after Starfield (which according to Phil, if not for the buyout would have released a lot earlier than 2023) they'd be waiting years for the next Elder Scrolls and there's no guarantee that Starfield (a new IP) has the same legs that Skyrim has until then.

I do wonder how well Oblivion will sell in todays age though, Skyrim definitely feels like the moment Elder Scrolls went mass market, I've actually had to explain multiple times to people in the past that Oblivion and Skyrim are the same franchise, Lmao. Somehow they miss "The Elder Scrolls" part of the title.

I think Todd probably changed his mind if this rumor pans out to be true. 

I think a well done Oblivion remake would perform pretty well today. Would easily sell over 10m.

The server capacity in the UK being just 5k concurrent users is just baffling, as we were theorizing that the reason for the poor Series X stock was that Xbox was diverting hundreds of thousands of Series X chips to upgrading their cloud servers to Series X and future proof their cloud network for future user growth. But, if their max cloud capacity in the UK is just 5k users, and UK has their 2nd biggest cloud server network, that likely means that no more than 50k Series X chips worldwide got put into the cloud servers. That means that Series X stock has just been poor for most of this year with no real reason for the stock levels to be this poor still, considering you can easily find a PS5 now for most of this year.

Yeah, I'm guessing Todd changed his mind about remakes at some point. That interview where he said that he didn't like the idea of remastering or remaking old Bethesda games is now 5 years old, alot can change in 5 years. But even if he personally is still against the idea of remakes, it doesn't mean that the suits at Zenimax and Xbox agree with him. I'm sure the suits see remakes in many other game series selling many millions of copies and want a piece of that pie themselves. There is also the fact that Bethesda game output has slowed considerably in recent years, with a nearly 8 year gap between Fallout 4 and Starfield, and the recent revelation that TES 6 might not release until 2028, 10 years after it's 2018 announcement and 17 years after Skyrim released. The suits, both the Xbox and Zenimax suits, surely know that they are going to need to rely on Elder Scrolls remakes, Fallout remakes, and a possible new Fallout New Vegas like side game from Obsidian or inXile to help fill the massive gaps between new numbered Fallout and Elder Scrolls games from Bethesda. That is unless of course Xbox can talk Todd into reorganizing Bethesda around a separate team for each of their 3 IP's, instead of Todd having to lead development on each game himself; splitting the 3 IP's between 3 teams and 3 directors is the only other way to combat the slow release cycle aside from relying on 3rd party remasters/remakes and side games. Todd should definitely consider a reorganization like that, especially since he is talking about possibly retiring after TES 6, he needs to train up multiple directors to replace him like Shinji Mikami did over at Tango. Now is definitely the time to train up the next generation if he is going to be retiring in just 5 or so years. He could reorganize now and co-direct TES 6 development and Fallout 5 development with his future replacement for each IP over the next 5 or so years before he retires.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 31 July 2023

Yeah, a remake for Oblivion (and even Morrowind) could be huge sellers for Xbox. Both were popular in their own right but the franchise exploded with Skyrim. So they could see some big numbers doing a remake of previous TES games.

I think it's safe to say that any of the old Bethesda games would have little trouble selling 10m+ on a remake/remaster (with probably 2.5-3x that many players thanks to Gamepass releases), especially if they are more remake than remaster. A remaster would presumably leave quite alot of old-school Bethesda jank, from poor 3rd person animations, to poor facial animations, to overly small voice casts on some of their older games, to bugs that were never fixed, but proper remakes would fix alot of those issues and encourage more buyers and Gamepass players. But even if it's just a remaster and not a full-blown remake, 10m+ should be achievable for remasters of Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, as many of the 60m+ Skyrim buyers and 30m+ Fallout 4 buyers that never played the earlier games in each series would buy a remaster or remake of the older games to give them a shot.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 31 July 2023

Other than the EC speculating about Activision/Blizzard titles being on Ultimate only do we have confirmation from Microsoft?
If not, this is not happening imo, I do not see why Microsoft would do that, it makes no sense and they is no sign of that at all with their existing content.