By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

You’re Transported to Fallout’s World, Would You Rather?

Live in a Vault (Random Selection) 17 77.27%

Live on the Surface 5 22.73%

Total:22

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
EpicRandy said:

I have a very strong Love/hate (mostly hate though) relationship with Nvidia, while they make cool tech like this they can be bothered to support even their prior generation of GPU. I game on a laptop with an RTX3070 which no doubt this tech would be useful for but no can't be bothered supporting a 2 year old products. Meanwhile AMD FSR2.1 is available for 7 year old GPUs and even Nvidia's ones.

Yeah, Nvidia pulls way too much crap with proprietary tech. A decade ago it was PhysX they were pushing in games like Borderlands 2, with it being exclusive to Nvidia GPU's. Then it was HairWorks they were pushing in games like Witcher 3, with it being exclusive to Nvidia GPU's. Now it's DLSS they are doing the exact same thing with, except they're not only preventing it from running on AMD GPU's, but now they are abandoning their previous generation cards for DLSS 3 support as well, meaning that weaker GPU's from their previous generation which would really benefit from DLSS 3, such as the 3050 and 3060, can't use it. 

I much prefer AMD's open source approach to things. Their TressFX competitor to Nvidia's HairWorks, open source. Their FSR competitor to DLSS, open source. It's a shame that more people don't buy AMD cards instead of feeding the Nvidia monster more money so that they can keep doing business as normal. They're never going to improve as long as they are the dominant market leader by a huge ratio. I bought Nvidia on my last 2 builds, but never again, going to get an AMD GPU next time, most likely the upcoming RX 7600 XT.

Yep same here and funny facts Hairworks makes heavy use of tessellations which is also supported on AMD GPU but Nvidia made ludicrous use of it in Hairworks way beyond the point it benefited image quality because when running benchmark Nvidia GPU were lesser impacted by this than AMD ones. If I remember correctly it used tessellation at a 64x while after 4x no image improvement were visible but it was like 3-5% fps reduction on Nvidia GPU's while AMD GPU's suffered 10-15% loss in fps while benchmarking the game. AMD then added the ability to override the max amount of tessellation in their config software.

I only have a Nvidia setup now because AMD were not in time with their 6000m series card on laptop to use with my 10th year work bonus.

shikamaru317 said:
EpicRandy said:

I have a very strong Love/hate (mostly hate though) relationship with Nvidia, while they make cool tech like this they can be bothered to support even their prior generation of GPU. I game on a laptop with an RTX3070 which no doubt this tech would be useful for but no can't be bothered supporting a 2 year old products. Meanwhile AMD FSR2.1 is available for 7 year old GPUs and even Nvidia's ones.

Yeah, Nvidia pulls way too much crap with proprietary tech. A decade ago it was PhysX they were pushing in games like Borderlands 2, with it being exclusive to Nvidia GPU's. Then it was HairWorks they were pushing in games like Witcher 3, with it being exclusive to Nvidia GPU's. Now it's DLSS they are doing the exact same thing with, except they're not only preventing it from running on AMD GPU's, but now they are abandoning their previous generation cards for DLSS 3 support as well, meaning that weaker GPU's from their previous generation which would really benefit from DLSS 3, such as the 3050 and 3060, can't use it. 

I much prefer AMD's open source approach to things. Their TressFX competitor to Nvidia's HairWorks, open source. Their FSR competitor to DLSS, open source. It's a shame that more people don't buy AMD cards instead of feeding the Nvidia monster more money so that they can keep doing business as normal. They're never going to improve as long as they are the dominant market leader by a huge ratio. I bought Nvidia on my last 2 builds, but never again, going to get an AMD GPU next time, most likely the upcoming RX 7600 XT.

I just hate the useless comparisons of DLSS OFF vs DLSS3 when anyone on a 30 or 40 series card would already be using DLSS2 so it should be DLSS2 v DLSS3 on the charts to show the actual gain 40 series owners can get with the update but it's the age old make your product look better by fluffing the low end to show higher gains.

Also the small print at the bottom has it stating DLSS performance mode so even bigger inflation vs DLSS Off where as in most situations you would avoid dropping it that low.

Last edited by WoodenPints - on 16 March 2023

To be fair, when you are the market leader, why would it profit Nvidia to put their tech on competitor hardware. FSR is open because it would not get support otherwise if it was not. Even still, many test has shone it to still be a very much inferior solution to DLSS For Nvidia, they probably will continue to pour more support into their tech and keep it exclusive to their hardware because there is no benefit making it open source. It is business and none of these companies do anything for consumers unless it profits them. AMD needed an AI upscaler because they were getting handled by Nvidia and they needed an AI upscaler that can be easy to implement along side the market leader solution.

Around the Network

Halo Infinite battlepass definitely has too many XP boosts and challenge swaps. I think I had 75 boosts at the start of the season, I now have 79 and I have been using 1 boost per day and barely playing without a boost active, you really shouldn't be earning more boosts than you can use. They really need to rebalance boosts and swaps next season, we don't need anywhere near this many of either in the next battlepass, at least not until career progression is added, then we will have a need for the boosts beyond the season passes. Swaps are far less necessary than they were at launch meanwhile because 343 made the challenges way easier and there are less per week now than there used to be.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 16 March 2023

Approval by the Brussels-based regulator with a formal remedy giving rivals access to popular video games, including Activision's Call of Duty, would be a reasonable enough outcome given commission decisions in recent complex mergers to accept non-divestiture remedies. Think Google/Fitbit and LSEG/ReYnitiv.

But at this stage of the Microsoft/Activision review, an EC determination to accept Microsoft's licensing offer and approve the transaction would appear to be premature at best. At worst, such a conclusion could represent an abuse of process.

Microsoft hasn't yet offered a formal remedy to the commission. If the company does submit an offer, as expected, it must do so by midnight on March 16. The remedy would then be sent for third-party feedback through a market test. Only at that point would the commission's competition department be able to deYnitively conclude whether the deal should be approved.

Even so, The Capitol Forum is aware of influential voices within the EC that believe the deal should be approved with non-divestiture conditions. That view may well end up being correct, but an important and indispensable part of the EC process must first play out.

Meanwhile, Microsoft last week participated in a "response hearing" in London at the Competition and Markets Authority. The UK watchdog has set out various ways the company could attempt to address misgivings about the Activision merger, including asset divestitures and an access remedy. All these options are said to have been discussed at last week's meeting, and Microsoft is said to have been buoyed by the amount of time the regulator spent discussing the access remedy optionThe CMA, though, is obliged to consider each remedy it has proffered.

Still, the UK authority remains a staunch defender of its position that behavioural remedies should only be accepted in the most exceptional circumstances, putting the Activision deal at significant risk of being blocked.

Source: Idas

So Microsoft is more confident due to the amount of time the CMA spent discussing behavioural remedies with them, interesting.

Is it a coincidence that CMA has revealed positive opinions from 6 developers this week?

This is the second journalist with reputable information stating that European Commission will approve as well.

Starfield, the highly anticipated space-themed action role-playing game from Bethesda Game Studios, has been classified as "Restricted" in Australia. The game's classification was determined by the Australian Classification Board, which noted that the game features "moderate impact" language and themes, "strong impact" violence, "very mild impact" nudity, and "restricted" interactive drug use.

It is important to note that Australia has some of the strictest video game classification laws in the world, and games that are classified as "Restricted" are not allowed to be sold or rented to minors.

Starfield Receives "Restricted" 18+ Rating in Australia

Skyrim and Fallout 4 were rated 15+

The thing that got it an 18+ was the drug use.

Goatseye said:

😎

Did Ryuu beg you to post again? I know u suffering on mobile