By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War Ragnarok reviews in!

Are you getting GoW Ragnarok?

Yes, was always going to. 46 68.66%

Yes, now that I see the reviews are so good. 0 0%

Yes, but I’ll wait for a price drop. 10 14.93%

Yes, I’m buying a PS5 for this game. 0 0%

No 11 16.42%

Total:67
TruckOSaurus said:
eva01beserk said:

This is the best take. Its not that i have a problem with indys its just like you said the best game has to check all the boxes. If rhese smaller games want to chase a single category like narrative then theres an award just for narrative where it could win. But indys just dont belong in the goty category. 

I thoroughly disagree. Games like Hollow Knight, Celeste and Hades are just as deserving of a GOTY award/nomination than the The Last of Us, Mario Odyssey or God of War.

Should there be disagrement though? I say if theres discustion over if it belongs or not, then it dosent belong.

There can be disagrement over wich should win, but for a game to just say its in the runing everyone shoould just say yes that game should be in the runing.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I thoroughly disagree. Games like Hollow Knight, Celeste and Hades are just as deserving of a GOTY award/nomination than the The Last of Us, Mario Odyssey or God of War.

Should there be disagrement though? I say if theres discustion over if it belongs or not, then it dosent belong.

There can be disagrement over wich should win, but for a game to just say its in the runing everyone shoould just say yes that game should be in the runing.

By that standard, Death Stranding shouldn't never have been in any GOTY category because a lot of people thought it was terrible. You'll always find people who won't agree X game should be nominated, no matter how great it is.

Signature goes here!

Ori and the Blind Forest if flatly one of the best games ever crafted. Is that not an "Indie?"

TruckOSaurus said:
eva01beserk said:

By that standard, Death Stranding shouldn't never have been in any GOTY category because a lot of people thought it was terrible. You'll always find people who won't agree X game should be nominated, no matter how great it is.

Exactly it should have never been nominated. Never played it but the premised alone have me snoring.

Yes i get that there are trolls. I know its never gona be a perfect system. But at the very least it should be easy to see the games that dont belong, like indys.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Chrkeller said:

Ori and the Blind Forest if flatly one of the best games ever crafted. Is that not an "Indie?"

I disagre. Its a good game. One that i particularly like. Should never be in the talks of best ever.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
Chrkeller said:

I disagre. Its a good game. One that i particularly like. Should never be in the talks of best ever.

Which is why GotY (or any other quality 'measure') is an opinion.  I would take TLoU, Ori over Uncharted, GoW, Horizon, RDR, GTA, Bioshock and many more.  Same with Shadow of the Colossus, just the epitome of fine gaming.    

eva01beserk said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Exactly it should have never been nominated. Never played it but the premised alone have me snoring.

Yes i get that there are trolls. I know its never gona be a perfect system. But at the very least it should be easy to see the games that dont belong, like indys.

What would disqualify Hollow Knight? It has a great story, deep lore, exceptional music, lengthy campaign with solid gameplay mechanics, hand drawn art style but somehow it shouldn't be considered because it's made by an indie studio?

Signature goes here!

eva01beserk said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I played and liked, there is a lot of artistic value and performance, but yes not a GOTY as it doesn't meet all requirements imho. But at least it meets more than Pentiment, Ori, Hades, etc.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

TruckOSaurus said:
eva01beserk said:

What would disqualify Hollow Knight? It has a great story, deep lore, exceptional music, lengthy campaign with solid gameplay mechanics, hand drawn art style but somehow it shouldn't be considered because it's made by an indie studio?

Because its not the best at any of those. I dont know when that game came out and what its competition was. But lets say it came this year. Does any of those are better than the current big hitters like ragnarok or elden ring or horizon? Not even close.

Its not that its because its a small studio. Its rather that small studios dont tend to be competitive due to their limitstions. Its not that they cant, hellblade showed us that an indie can goe toe to toe with AAA. But thats very rare.

DonFerrari said:
eva01beserk said:

I played and liked, there is a lot of artistic value and performance, but yes not a GOTY as it doesn't meet all requirements imho. But at least it meets more than Pentiment, Ori, Hades, etc.

For me that is elden ring. I myself dint like it much. I droped it multiple times to finally complete it because it kepted boring me. But i can see why a lot of people would love it and why it belongs in the list. Its atributes you can say go toe to toe with the other big hitters and not just one thing but all of them.