By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox Series X|S Sales Top 17M, PS5 Sales Climb - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Sep 18-24

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

Cool to see Switch still up YOY for the week.
How much did it sell for this quarter last year?

Shipment was 3.83m according to Nintendo's official numbers.  Not sure what VGChartz numbers were for sold through.  Also, this seems to have been the lowest quarter for 2021.  The announcement of the upcoming OLED model reduced sales for the quarter.

Alrighty, so looking good as far as this quarter potentially being up YOY.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

Cool to see Switch still up YOY for the week.
How much did it sell for this quarter last year?

Shipment was 3.83m according to Nintendo's official numbers.  Not sure what VGChartz numbers were for sold through.  Also, this seems to have been the lowest quarter for 2021.  The announcement of the upcoming OLED model reduced sales for the quarter.

By adding the monthly totals in the Vgchartz database i worked out the quarterly switch sell through estimates, this quarter last year was 3.86m versus 3.83m shipped.

Calendar year: Official Shipments compared to vgchartz sell through

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 04 October 2022

If you missed my "Game News Roundup" live stream last night the video is now live on YouTube. I go over the latest VGChartz estimates and gaming news.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I wonder if the ps5 can snag 1st from the switch at least once this year, if it hasn't done so already.

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch 2022 Sales Comparison Charts Through September 24

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and three legacy platforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo 3DS) over comparable periods for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2019 – (Week ending January 12 to September 28)

2020 – (Week ending January 11 to September 26)

2021 – (Week ending January 9 to September 25)

2022 – (Week ending January 8 to September 24)

"Year to date" sales for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2022 versus 2021 and 2022 versus 2020 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox Series X|S
    • 5.73 million units sold year-to-date
    • Up year-on-year 1,308,072 units (+29.6%)
  • Xbox One
    • 0.04 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 386,844 units (-91.6%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch
    • 11.57 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 2,559,300 units (-18.1%)

Sony

• PlayStation 5
    • 6.66 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 1,485,282 units (-18.2%)
  • PlayStation 4
    • 0.43 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 1,412,062 (-76.8%)

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
Kneetos said:

I wonder if the ps5 can snag 1st from the switch at least once this year, if it hasn't done so already.

With PS5 supply improving and the Switch in its 6th year, I wouldn't be surprised if we got a week or two with the former in the lead.

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 98

This weekly series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. Switch: 30,138,166
  2. PS5: 23,643,552
  3. XSX|S: 17,087,282

Through the first 98 weeks available worldwide the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 6.49 million units units and is 13.05 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 6.56 million units.

The Switch has sold 30.14 million in 98 weeks worldwide, while the PS5 sold 23.64 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 17.09 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 98 weeks, the Switch is in the lead. The Switch has a 42.5 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 33.4 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 24.1 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. Switch: 10,645,061
  2. PS5: 8,613,245
  3. XSX|S: 7,974,309

Through the first 98 weeks available in the US the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 2.03 million units and is 2.67 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.64 million units.

The Switch has sold 10.65 million in 98 weeks in the US, while the PS5 sold 8.61 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 7.97 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 98 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 39.1 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 31.6 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 29.3 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe (97 weeks):

1. PS5: 8,178,411
  2. Switch: 7,621,183
  3. XSX|S: 4,790,900

The PlayStation 5 has been available for one week less than the Xbox Series X|S in Europe. After 97 weeks the PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 0.56 million units and is 3.39 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 2.83 million units.

The PS5 has sold 8.18 million in 97 weeks in Europe, while the Switch sold 7.62 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 4.79 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 97 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 39.7 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 37.0 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 23.3 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 7,158,515
  2. PS5: 1,960,889
  3. XSX|S: 353,626

Through the first 98 weeks available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 5.20 million units and is 6.80 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.61 million units.

The Switch has sold 7.16 million units in 98 weeks in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 1.96 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.35 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 98 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 75.6 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 20.7 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 3.7 percent.

curl-6 said:
Kneetos said:

With PS5 supply improving and the Switch in its 6th year, I wouldn't be surprised if we got a week or two with the former in the lead.

Not likely, starting from October Nintendo Switch usually goes into overdrive. The only chance PS5 has to win a week is if Sony hold back a ton of units ready for black friday week.

ShadowLink93 said:
curl-6 said:

Not likely, starting from October Nintendo Switch usually goes into overdrive. The only chance PS5 has to win a week is if Sony hold back a ton of units ready for black friday week.

Or the GOW:R launch week.