By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox Series X|S Sales Top 17M, PS5 Sales Climb - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Sep 18-24

Be sure to share the weekly breakdown article here.

Xbox Series X|S Sales Top 17M, PS5 Sales Climb - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Sep 18-24

The Nintendo Switch was the best-selling console with 289,863 units sold for the week ending September 24, 2022, according to VGChartz estimates. The Switch has now sold an estimated 113.29 million units lifetime.

The PlayStation 5 sold an estimated 237,928 units to bring its lifetime sales to 23.64 million units. The Xbox Series X|S sold 172,694 units to bring their lifetime sales to 17.09 million units.

PS5 sales compared to the same week for the PS4 in 2015 are down by over 59,000 units, while the Xbox Series X|S compared to the same week for the Xbox One are up by over 44,000 units. PS4 sold 297,138 units for the week ending September 26, 2015 and Xbox One sales were at 128,439 units.

The PlayStation 4 sold an estimated 2,240 units, and the Xbox One sold 178 units.

Nintendo Switch sales compared to the same week a year ago are up by 29,562 units (11.4%), while the PlayStation 5 is down by 36,564 (-13.3%) and the Xbox Series X|S is up 31,571 units (22.4%).

The PlayStation 4 is down 23,784 units (-91.4%) year-over-year and the Xbox One is down 4,457 units (-96.2%).

Looking at sales week-on-week, Nintendo Switch sales are down by nearly 65,000 units, PlayStation 5 sales are up by nearly 17,000 units, and Xbox Series X|S sales are flat week-on-week.

2022 year-to-date, the Nintendo Switch has sold an estimated 11.57 million units, the PlayStation 5 has sold 6.63 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S has sold 5.73 million units.

Global hardware estimates (Followed by lifetime sales):

1. Switch - 289,863 (113,290,609)
  2. PlayStation 5 - 237,928 (23,643,552)
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 172,694 (17,087,282)
  4. PlayStation 4 - 2,240 (117,004,007)
  5. Xbox One - 178 (50,534,689)
Americas (US, Canada, Latin America) hardware estimates:
  1. PlayStation 5 - 94,767
  2. Switch - 93,394
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 86,792
  4. PlayStation 4 - 1,660
  5. Xbox One - 123
Europe hardware estimates:
  1. PlayStation 5 - 75,867
  2. Switch - 65,360
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 53,010
  4. PlayStation 4 - 526
  5. Xbox One - 47
Asia (Japan, mainland Asia, Middle East) hardware estimates:
  1. Switch - 120,131
  2. PlayStation 5 - 57,878
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 26,696
  4. PlayStation 4 - 31
  5. Xbox One - 4
Oceania (Australia and New Zealand) hardware estimates:
  1. Switch - 10,978
  2. PlayStation 5 - 9,416
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 6,196
  4. PlayStation 4 - 23
  5. Xbox One - 4

VGChartz Methodology: Hardware estimates are based on retail sampling and trends in individual countries, which are then extrapolated to represent the wider region. This typically allows us to produce figures that end up being within 10% of the actual totals.

This data is regularly compared against official shipment figures released by the console manufacturers and figures estimated by regional trackers with greater market coverage than ourselves. We then update our own estimates to bring them into line with those figures. This can result in frequent changes often within a short space of time, but we feel it's important to prioritise accuracy over consistency.

Note that our estimates are based on sell-through data (units sold to consumers). In almost all cases the figures released by console manufacturers are based on shipment data (sell-in), where as soon as a device has left the factory and entered the supply chain for delivery it is considered a sale. This is why there is always a difference between the companies’ figures (sell-in) and VGChartz estimates (sell-through), even after we’ve made adjustments. The one exception to that is when a console has been discontinued and the remaining stock has finally sold out – at that point the figures will match.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

PS5 is doing very well at both America and Europe, while Switch dominates Asia.

PS5 had another good week. Switch dropped below 300k this week. It had a pretty good run there, but I guess it couldn't keep above 300k indefinitely. Once we get closer to the holidays it will get those 300k+ weeks back again (and probably much higher).

The_Liquid_Laser said:

PS5 had another good week. Switch dropped below 300k this week. It had a pretty good run there, but I guess it couldn't keep above 300k indefinitely. Once we get closer to the holidays it will get those 300k+ weeks back again (and probably much higher).

The Switch might have dropped below 300K, but it is still up slightly compared to last year.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

what is your forecast for ps5 units shipped this fiscal quarter 3 million or 3.3?

Around the Network
jvmkdg said:

what is your forecast for ps5 units shipped this fiscal quarter 3 million or 3.3?

There is no specific forecast like that for this site, only weekly estimates of customer purchases.  As for PS5 shipments, he will find out along with all of us on October 27th. 

With one week left to go for the quarter we have Switch at 3.64M, PS5 at 2.69M, and Xbox Series X|S at 1.96M. I haven't run any numbers for the last week of September, but I suspect there will be a bump in sales for PS5 and Xbox Series X|S (as long as there is stock) as FIFA 23 released last week.

Cool to see Switch still up YOY for the week.
How much did it sell for this quarter last year?

curl-6 said:

Cool to see Switch still up YOY for the week.
How much did it sell for this quarter last year?

Shipment was 3.83m according to Nintendo's official numbers.  Not sure what VGChartz numbers were for sold through.  Also, this seems to have been the lowest quarter for 2021.  The announcement of the upcoming OLED model reduced sales for the quarter.

https://www.twitch.tv/trunkswd

Going over the latest VGChartz estimates and gaming news over on Twitch. Then playing more Horizon Zero Dawn on PC.