By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's your favorite 5rh Gen console?

My favorite is...

3DO 0 0%

Atari Jaguar 1 1.43%

Sega Saturn 4 5.71%

Playstation 37 52.86%

Nintendo 64 27 38.57%

Other 1 1.43%

Total:70

I loved my N64 back in the day and there are still some gems on it, PS1 as well. However, this gen has aged horribly, possibly the worst of any gen.

Around the Network

Has to be between the two with analog sticks. It was a two horse race.

I liked the style that PlayStation had in their games. They were clunky in a charming way. It had the most games by far and can easily be considered the winner of the race.

But N64 was the powerhouse and herald of 3D gaming. If all it had was Mario and Zelda 3D, I would still consider it the best choice at the time. It’s really sad though that it lacked so badly in its library. Such a waste of potential.

Well, I would say the N64 ended up having more iconic games. Fewer, sure. But more iconic. But the PS1 was the winner, hands down. If you were around back then and only had an N64... oh the frustration. I got a PS1 for Christmas, '95. I ended up selling it for some stupid reason a year or so later when I got an N64. And while OOT and 007 were epic beyond belief, the amount of games I missed out on (as well as pop-culture) was staggering. So when I got a PS1 back in the late 90's, it was an epiphany. No, it didn't have anything approaching OOT. But games like MGS, FF, Resident Evil, Syphon Filter, Silent Hill etc... it made up for in sheer volume. Not to mention, those games were epic in their own right.

So if I had to pick, I would say it was PS1 by a hair. N64's games might have been more impactful on me, taken individually. But the PS1 was just jammed packed with great games--and being that they were all on CD, it felt far more tech-forward, like it was the future in the industry; more exciting. 

PS1 was supposedly my favorite 5th gen console before getting an N64 in the early 2000s for huge library.

Currently N64 is still my favorite 5th gen console stuck then next Saturn for high quality first party games. Man, Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64, Super Smash Bros. and Winback were such blasting.

For Sega Saturn, i loved playing Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop and The House of the Dead a lot. lol

Playstation as thats what I had growing up.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

Definitely PS1. Aside from some good first/second party games, the N64 was sorely lacking in good games in genres that were established in the 3rd and 4th gens. Stuff like good side scrollers and RPGs. And we had an overabundance of racers and sports titles. I remember when talk of a possible N64 classic was being tossed around, I had a hard time even thinking of 20 good games for it. he PS1 felt more like a continuation of the SNES than the N64 did. It felt like a more well rounded system, even if its graphics were inferior to the N64. Of course, I wasn't too keen on either system when they first came out and I went full PC during that generation. Most of my experience with these systems were well after the generation was over. So I feel I'm not tainted with nostalgia.

I never played the Saturn, but once the MiSTer FPGA project makes more progress on the Saturn, I fully intend on familiarizing myself with its games.

I chose Sony PlayStation, but in the same level I can put Sega Saturn. Difficult decision :)

Video games and consoles collector from Poland.

To me, Playstation had more good games, but N64 had the best games. Of my elite-status titles, N64 has three - Zelda OoT, Zelda MM and Super Mario 64 whereas PS has only one, Castlevania:SOTN. Furthermore, except for Resident Evil, PS has little that could compete with Waverace 64, Banjo Kazooie, Blast Corps or Goldeneye for me personally... although Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the Sega Saturn could, mostly thanks to its awesome controller.

Despite variety being far better on PS (and Saturn), I still choose N64 in the end.

N64.

For me it has most of the best games of that generation, like Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie and Tooie, F-Zero X, Starfox 64, etc.

That said the PS1 is a fantastic console in its own right; the two are very, very close in my book and N64 only wins by the tiniest of margins. Both are among my favourite consoles and both catapulted gaming forward into an exciting new age.

This is for me a sort of lost generation. Had no system from this era, not any handheld either. Basically only played PC during the mid to late 90s.
Later played a lot of the games from the 5th generation but almost always on a newer console.
Never knew anyone who owned the jaguar or the 3DO systems. 3DO in particular is for me only related to the publisher of Heroes of might and magic a series I played a lot during the generation.

I think the best system was the Playstation for the fifth generation. I liked it most of the times when I had the opportunity to play on it. Only the loading screens bothered me.
But even if playstation had legendary games such as Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 7, Tekken 3 and great for its time titles like Spyro and Crash, N64 edges it out for me in the games department.
From a perspective of having very little experience with the consoles
1. Playstation
2. N64
3. Saturn
4. Jaguar
5. 3DO

With a 0 Tier for PC. Playing Heroes, Diablo, Warcraft 2, Starcraft, Tyrian, Worms and the best learning game ever released Backpacker 2, nothing consoles had at the time could match it for me.