By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's your favorite 5rh Gen console?

My favorite is...

3DO 0 0%

Atari Jaguar 1 1.43%

Sega Saturn 4 5.71%

Playstation 37 52.86%

Nintendo 64 27 38.57%

Other 1 1.43%

Total:70

SEGA Saturn. Said it a million times. Better library than N64. Second best console that gen but sadly most did not get to experience it. Esp the Japanese library with the shmups. Arcade games. Even had a fantastic RPG library. Few even know it had games like Tomb Raider,Castlevania SoTN and RE. But also 3rd party Exclusives like Bulk Slash or Dragon Force. SEGA's first party had unique stuff like Burning Rangers. Panzer Dragoon and the best SRPG that gen in Shining Force III.

Most of N64's library has aged badly where most the games people love Saturn for are still great with some exceptions. Shmups don't really age much.

PS2 is of course the best in overall library but Saturn still had enough unique games to hold it's own as my fave 5th gen system and 3rd fave all time.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

The 5th generation aged like milk, only the first two are worse.

Ironically the games that didn't try to be too innovative aged the best (2D games, RPGs, arcade ports).

SegaHeart said:
haxxiy said:

The 5th generation aged like milk, only the first two are worse.

Ironically the games that didn't try to be too innovative aged the best (2D games, RPGs, arcade ports).

Arcade Racers, Arcade Sports, Beat em ups, Adult games, Visual Novels. few others I forget?

Not bad for the Saturn indeed now that I think about it.

The N64 had some great games, but the complete lack of RPGs and the weak sauce fighting games kind of soured me on it. To this day I consider it my least favorite Nintendo non-portable system. 

The PS1, on the other hand, had a shit ton of both genres, and a well rounded overall library.

N64 was the only one I had so that wins it for me. Easily some of my favorite games of all time on the system. That being said if I had gotten the ps1 it probably would have been a closer decision. I played quite a few ps1 rpg games years later on other consoles and wished the N64 would have gotten more rpg love. I had that jaw dropping feeling twice that generation, the first time I played Mario 64 at Toys R Us and the first time I to played the first Resident Evil game at a friends house on his ps1.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:

That Atari Jaguar controller is the weirdest looking thing.

They were still taking cues from the Intellivision and Colecovision. They forgot they were in the 90's and not the 80s.

PlayStation no contest!

Both N64 and PlayStation were absolutely excellent consoles. Both have a large representation in my all-time favourites list. The 5th Generation, including what came out on PC during this era, is after all the biggest part of the golden age of video games if you asked me. There was so much new stuff, original, varied and inspired. Days long gone sadly.

I don't have experience with the Saturn sadly, as while a childhood friend had a Mega Drive, SEGA wouldn't really come into our life until Dreamcast. Another great golden age system. Both PlayStation and N64 would rank at the top of a list of my all-time favourite video game systems, but even PlayStation's many classics couldn't beat the sheer brilliance of the N64's greatest games. The N64 is home to a host of games that were, and some still are, leaps and bounds beyond whatever else was available.

N64 wins.

My N64 had some great handful of games that are still some of my top favs to this day, but PS1 just took my breath away.

But since the N64, Nintendo had always been my main when it comes to party games, no question so I always need both Nintendo and Sony every gen.

I’m going to go out on a limb here, but I feel like most gamers that really love the N64 played it in their younger years. Sure, I enjoyed Ocarina of Time and Mario 64, but was content just to rent the system to play those.

The PlayStation lured me away from Nintendo and I have no regrets. I loved Final Fantasy (never played them on Nintendo systems), Tekken 3, Twisted Metal, Rogue Trip, Syphon Filter, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, and so many more.

Some say that the system aged terribly, but many of those games played way better than their PS2 follow ups.

The PlayStation controller was much more comfortable than the N64 controller, and more intuitive. Oh, and it was also a CD player. Yep, definitely my favorite system that gen.