By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - All the Next Gen Nintendo SoC likely possibilities published by NVidia

Which SoC do you think is likely?

Orin Nano 4GB (512 core GPU) 2 7.14%

Orin Nano 8GB (1024 core GPU) 7 25.00%

Orin NX 8GB (1024 core Na... 7 25.00%

Orin NX 16GB (CPU and RAM... 8 28.57%

Jetson AGX Orin 32GB, The... 4 14.29%

Total:28
Doctor_MG said:
Pemalite said:

Every chip in existence... Be it Ram, NAND, GPU, CPU or APU is binned.
Binning doesn't mean just deactivating parts of a chip, it can mean a change in voltages and clockrates.

Binning a Tegra chip may mean that you retain all the CPU cores, but loose GPU cores or disable a chunk of the memory controller... This is a balance Nintendo is going to have to chalk up... Because to much CPU grunt will take away from the graphics quality.

You're misinterpreting. There are no Tegra Orin modules with 8-cores per cluster outside of T239. The linux kernel even shows this. T234 (Jetson AGX) has 4 cores a cluster and 2-3 clusters depending on the module. The same is true for the Jetson Orin NX. This is confirmed in all documentation listed from Nvidia. Unless you are suggesting that the T234 is being binned (Which wouldn't make any sense), then this shows that there are customized components in comparison to ALL other Tegra Orin SOC's. Obviously not everything is "customized", but there does appear to be some customization to the chip, most likely for the purposes of shrinking the die. 

Jetson Orin NX: "The CPU cluster is comprised of eight cores of ARM Cortex-A78AE Core processors organized as multiple quad-core clusters."

https://developer.download.nvidia.com/assets/embedded/secure/jetson/orin_nx/docs/Jetson_Orin_NX_DS-10712-001_v0.4.pdf?tRi_PXkIK_FUEZwN-FNh4DU9X3vNGu68giQqC3_ksBUoCLE9NcsSH7svDLWKY__IWZsyG1UqdMGtX68dXX0OTLRI79ln2Wf5BXDphRyja5tXchoGXXC1Vyvr_RYNx_Oez4snUs7EkGf0jL_m1o-1BW-Sbm_uf_UXzYW1ix9InOlRi68VzXJX62InzLDA9A&t=eyJscyI6ImdzZW8iLCJsc2QiOiJodHRwczpcL1wvd3d3Lmdvb2dsZS5jb21cLyJ9

Jetson Orin AGX:

https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/en-zz/Solutions/gtcf21/jetson-orin/nvidia-jetson-agx-orin-technical-brief.pdf

Not misinterpreting. You just aren't understanding.

It doesn't matter if T239 has 8 cores per cluster.
They can still deactivate cores.

And again, all silicon chips are binned... By binning every chip, Nintendo/nVidia can set a clock/voltage level that will give them optimal yields for the production runs they are aiming for.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

And again, all silicon chips are binned... By binning every chip, Nintendo/nVidia can set a clock/voltage level that will give them optimal yields for the production runs they are aiming for.

No, you are still misinterpreting. They created a product with additional features that none of their other chips in the same line have. That is not a product of binning. 

I'm not saying the product can't be binned. I'm not saying they can't shut off cores. I'm saying that the addition of 8-cores in a cluster when none of their other products have 8-cores in a cluster is NOT the result of binning but the results of customizations to the chip itself. 

If you read this comment and you still want to reply with "Every product can be binned"...don't. I know a product can be binned after fabrication. I'm talking about the specs laid out before fabrication. 

Doctor_MG said:
Pemalite said:

No, you are still misinterpreting. They created a product with additional features that none of their other chips in the same line have. That is not a product of binning. 

I'm not saying the product can't be binned. I'm not saying they can't shut off cores. I'm saying that the addition of 8-cores in a cluster when none of their other products have 8-cores in a cluster is NOT the result of binning but the results of customizations to the chip itself. 

If you read this comment and you still want to reply with "Every product can be binned"...don't. I know a product can be binned after fabrication. I'm talking about the specs laid out before fabrication. 

I am not saying that a specific additional feature is a product of binning.
I am saying all chips are binned.

Tegra Orin is using 4-core clusters, so it scales the cores (and accompanying cache) in groups of 4.
However the leaker (To be taken with a pinch of salt) could be referring to a "cluster" as a group of cores that are NOT in a BIG.Little configuration... This is something that won't be confirmed until we actually get genuine information rather than baseless rumors.

Tegra T239 is just a rumor. Remember that.

Pemalite said:

Tegra Orin is using 4-core clusters, so it scales the cores (and accompanying cache) in groups of 4.
However the leaker (To be taken with a pinch of salt) could be referring to a "cluster" as a group of cores that are NOT in a BIG.Little configuration... This is something that won't be confirmed until we actually get genuine information rather than baseless rumors.

I never argued about all chips being binned. Also, the chip was added to the kernel with specific mention of the core configuration. T239 isn't a rumor. Whether or not it's in Switch is. 

What we all hope for is at least the Orin NX. That way you get Apple M2 iPad Pro levels of performance. Pretty sweet!

Last edited by Alistair - on 28 September 2022

Around the Network
Doctor_MG said:
Pemalite said:

I never argued about all chips being binned. Also, the chip was added to the kernel with specific mention of the core configuration. T239 isn't a rumor. Whether or not it's in Switch is. 

Many pieces of hardware get added to the Linux kernel all the time... Sometimes just for testing and never gets a consumer release, sometimes for an actual release, sometimes the hardware gets released for a different market segment entirely.

Don't base your assumptions on anything that is not substantiated.

T239 is "rumor" until it gets a physical release or confirmation from nVidia.

Pemalite said:

Many pieces of hardware get added to the Linux kernel all the time... Sometimes just for testing and never gets a consumer release, sometimes for an actual release, sometimes the hardware gets released for a different market segment entirely.

Don't base your assumptions on anything that is not substantiated.

T239 is "rumor" until it gets a physical release or confirmation from nVidia.

No, T239 exists. It is not a rumor. Multiple confirmations, including from an Nvidia employee, proves this. Even if it doesn't get released as a consumer grade product it still exists. Even if it is not in Switch 2 it still exists. 

This is beside the point anyway as we were arguing about whether there are customizations to that chip, which I believe I've shown that this is so. I'm just going to leave it at that. 

Last edited by Doctor_MG - on 29 September 2022

ok so based on what we now know happened with Atlan getting canned, and the rumored T239 vs the Orin chip series that we know about, how does the most likely scenario for a Switch 2 perform compared to say the Steam Deck?

I know raw numbers liked TFLOPS don't mean much these days, but I guess what can be said to quantify these chips in terms of performance over the Steam Deck?