By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - All the Next Gen Nintendo SoC likely possibilities published by NVidia

Which SoC do you think is likely?

Orin Nano 4GB (512 core GPU) 2 7.14%

Orin Nano 8GB (1024 core GPU) 7 25.00%

Orin NX 8GB (1024 core Na... 7 25.00%

Orin NX 16GB (CPU and RAM... 8 28.57%

Jetson AGX Orin 32GB, The... 4 14.29%

Total:28

Hmm DLSS 3 would be nice based on this performance increase but I don't think the architecture will be right for it sadly on the switch 2; Hell i'd take a 3 year delay to 2025 if they could somehow make that work lol

https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/20/23362990/nvidia-dlss-3-0-demonstration-ada-lovelace-graphics-cards-upscaling-technology

Around the Network

Shrugs, don't we already know the chip is (probably) the Tegra T239? 

Cobretti2 said:

Hmm DLSS 3 would be nice based on this performance increase but I don't think the architecture will be right for it sadly on the switch 2; Hell i'd take a 3 year delay to 2025 if they could somehow make that work lol

https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/20/23362990/nvidia-dlss-3-0-demonstration-ada-lovelace-graphics-cards-upscaling-technology

Meh there will always be new tech around the corner from Nvidia. In 2025, they will introduce something even more fancy that people would want their switch to have and such. I think they Nintendo should just release it with DLSS 2 cause that's the secret sauce that we really need.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

The T239 is based off of the T234 chip, which is the Jetson AGX. The leak says that it has 12 SM's. Ampere includes 128 CUDA cores per SM, so T239 will have 1536 CUDA cores. This doesn't match up with any of the Orin modules released, which means there is more customization than what we found with the Switch. In addition, T239 has an 8-core CPU on a single cluster which means it CANNOT be the first three anyway.

That said, this doesn't mean that Switch 2 will have 32GB of RAM. As you can see, despite being based on T234 it does not have the same amount of SM's (likely for die reduction). In addition, since it has 8-cores on a single cluster instead of 4-cores on two or three clusters we see further customization (again likely for die reduction). It's very possible, in fact practically guaranteed, that Nintendo will opt to customize the amount of RAM that is used as well. I would not be surprised if we see something like 10GB of RAM with 2GB reserved for OS functionality (kind of like the Series S).

Basically, I think people are underestimating the partnership between Nvidia and Nintendo this time around.

Doctor_MG said:

The T239 is based off of the T234 chip, which is the Jetson AGX. The leak says that it has 12 SM's. Ampere includes 128 CUDA cores per SM, so T239 will have 1536 CUDA cores. This doesn't match up with any of the Orin modules released, which means there is more customization than what we found with the Switch. In addition, T239 has an 8-core CPU on a single cluster which means it CANNOT be the first three anyway.

That said, this doesn't mean that Switch 2 will have 32GB of RAM. As you can see, despite being based on T234 it does not have the same amount of SM's (likely for die reduction). In addition, since it has 8-cores on a single cluster instead of 4-cores on two or three clusters we see further customization (again likely for die reduction). It's very possible, in fact practically guaranteed, that Nintendo will opt to customize the amount of RAM that is used as well. I would not be surprised if we see something like 10GB of RAM with 2GB reserved for OS functionality (kind of like the Series S).

Basically, I think people are underestimating the partnership between Nvidia and Nintendo this time around.

Do you think the 16GB 128-bit LPDDR5 with 102.4GB/s of bandwidth is a possibility? It's the setup from the lower spec'd Jetson NX 16GB. If they go with 12GB total then the it would have to be on a 96-bit or 192-bit bus. If they go with 12GB, knowing Nintendo, they'd opt for the 96-bit bus. I can't see them going with the wider option. Depending on whether they use the slower or faster speed LPDDR5 already spec'd for Orin, it would leave the system with between 51GB/s to 75.6GB/s of bandwidth.  Memory bandwidth was the biggest Achilles' heel of the Switch. I'm hoping that is addressed on the consoles next iteration.

Around the Network

I honestly just hoping for #3. I belive Nintendo is listening to devs talk about the new gen of PS and Xbox. They won't commit the ram mistake as the Series s. Nintendo will be more aggressive with ports this time around. They won't want games coming out years later for the console. So they will match the ram and maybe the cpu core amount. Big maybe. The gpu is the least important thing for Nintendo. They can have another 720p gen and they will just upscale. Nintendo has given up on targeting graphics

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Captain_Yuri said:
Cobretti2 said:

Meh there will always be new tech around the corner from Nvidia. In 2025, they will introduce something even more fancy that people would want their switch to have and such. I think they Nintendo should just release it with DLSS 2 cause that's the secret sauce that we really need.

Normally I'd agree but this would guarantee Ray Tracing locked at 60FPS at 1080p, maybe even 4k not sure as it didn't go into too much detail. It also has the ability to add full frames and track full object movement not just pixels resulting in a better image when in motion. It also has the ability to offload heavy CPU games via their AI process, so could mean more PS5 ports. So to me these benefits are significantly better over DLSS2.

But who knows, considering Nvidia and Nintendo been working closer together, it wouldn't surprise that the rumoured T239 has more customisation then we believe. If they managed to some how get the 4th gen tensor cores on the chipset, then we could be in for a surprise. Obviously it won't have the grunt of an RTX 40 series, but could redefine mobile gaming. There was also the rumoured dock with extra hardware in it. Perhaps they designed a special chip (to reduce cost) with just tensor cores to boost the AI calculations when in docked mode. Then could sell two SKUs similar to the other manufacturers for an extra cost.

Conina said:

I'm hoping for Orin NX 16 GB, but probably we'll have to settle for Orin NX 8GB.
NX also was the Switch codename, that would be a nice coincidence.

Orin Nano would be disappointing. No DL-Accelerator would probably mean also no DLSS.

TDP is probably too high in the NX models. Nintendo would need to severely undervolt and underclock them to make them usable in handheld mode, creating too much of a gap between handheld and desktop mode.

As a result, I expect the Nano 8 as the most probable choice.

Alistair said:

1. NO WAY: Orin Nano 4GB. 6 core CPU and 512 core GPU. 64 bit bus, only 4GB of memory, the same as the current Switch. Would work as a Switch revision or pro version, but not next gen.

Not the same.
1) Ampere is more efficient than Maxwell. + 2x extra GPU cores, potentially higher clocks, more modern feature set. (Tensor cores for DLSS)
2) Cortex A78AE is more efficient than Cortex A57. +2 extra CPU cores, more cache. Potentially higher clockrates.
3) 32% more memory bandwidth. + Bandwidth efficiency improvements all round thanks to improved Delta Colour compression.

It's a big step up, larger than what the raw numbers would otherwise imply.

Alistair said:

2. Very Likely: Orin Nano 8GB, 1024 core GPU instead of 512, a large increase, and crucially it has a 128 bit memory bus like an iPad or the TegraX2 we wanted, giving Nintendo enough memory bandwidth for the first time to run at 1080p properly. Much better than any phone. INEXPENSIVE. Cheap and powerful.

Doesn't matter if it has a 64bit or 128bit memory bus, total bandwidth matters.
And if you have memory that is fast enough, 64bit memory bus can and will beat a 128bit memory bus.

A wider bus also has the caveat of a more complex memory controller and thus drives up power consumption.

However... For 1080P you are still going to want more than 68GB/s of memory bandwidth for a good time than what Orins 128bit+LPDDR5 memory system offers... In-fact you would want triple that amount.

Otherwise texture, pixel and texel, geometry fillrates will be impacted.

To put it in perspective... Orin Nano will have less bandwidth than the base Xbox One. A sub-1080P console. That runs on DDR3.

Alistair said:

4. Not likely: Orin NX 16GB, would be good competition to the Steam Deck as it has a lot of RAM and 2 more CPU cores, but too expensive for Nintendo and lacking GPU improvements. Nice parity with the basic needs of the PS5 generation. High-res textures baby!

This part is actually the best price/performance out of the entire lineup.

It won't touch a Playstation 5. It lacks the fillrate.

Alistair said:

5. The Original Dream: Jetson AGX 32GB cutdown version of the full chip. A whopping 1792 cores. Yummy. A massive 256 bit bus like a full laptop/desktop video card. A massive 32GB of memory, though perhaps a custom version of this would work with 16GB of memory to cut costs, but retain everything else. This is M2 iPad Pro level graphics (not CPU). Faster than the PS4 Pro in every category (CPU, GPU, storage, ram, everything).

Less bandwidth than the Playstation 4 Pro.
Less single precision floating point than the Playstation 4 Pro. - Especially when you use GCN's strengths like asynchronous compute.

Likely less Render Output Pipelines and Texture Mapping units too. Mostly because it's a mobile part. - Although couldn't actually find detailed information on this.

Alistair said:

Everything above this is impossible and expensive. Note that Orin supports nVME storage now, unlike the Tegra X1, so we could get fast storage as well like the Xbox/PS5.

Would likely use UFS anyway.

Doctor_MG said:

nVidia scales these chips upwards and downwards depending on market or segment. Doesn't mean it's customized, just binned differently. (Or die harvested.)

Bofferbrauer2 said:

TDP is probably too high in the NX models. Nintendo would need to severely undervolt and underclock them to make them usable in handheld mode, creating too much of a gap between handheld and desktop mode.

Some aggressive turbo while docked would make the Nano 8 actually fairly potent.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Some aggressive turbo while docked would make the Nano 8 actually fairly potent.

Reviewing the numbers, the NX 8 could also work out.

Nintendo most certainly will strongly clock down the CPUs (they did so on the Switch) and clock down the GPU in Handheld mode, which could suffice for this chip to run well in both modes. Anything above that would however probably create too big a gap between handheld and console mode.