By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - August NPD 2022 Thread

Congrats to PS5! Looks like it had a good month.

Elden Ring is also going strong. Even after releasing near the beginning of the year, it is still going strong. Basically only the new releases were above it. (Spider-Man was a new release on Steam.)

Around the Network

Excellent PS5 sales for taking number 1 in units and dollars. This also marks the 3rd month in a row that PS5 has outsold Xbox S/X in the US. It doesn't look like that will change for September either for the end of the quarter.
Since Microsoft now care about sales again, this will likely shut up Nadella with his poor PR statement of being the "market leader" for 3 quarters in a row.

trunkswd said:

I will be adjusting the VGChartz estimates as before any adjustments we have:

• NS: 342,230
  • PS5: 310,885
  • XS: 297,654

XS is right being in third place, but PS5 needs to be #1. 

Available data from NPD for August includes:

• $375 million in hardware revenue
  • PS5 and XS supply improved so sales should be up
  • PS5 #1 in units and dollar sales
  • Switch #2 in units and #3 in dollar sales
  • XS #3 in units and #2 in dollar sales

Do we know whether this contains anything other than the big three?

And yeah since the article says that PS5 and XS both saw growth by the double-digits I would imagine that sales are indeed up (pretty vague though, but at least we know it's 10+ % for both).

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

trunkswd said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Do we know whether this contains anything other than the big three?

And yeah since the article says that PS5 and XS both saw growth by the double-digits I would imagine that sales are indeed up (pretty vague though, but at least we know it's 10+ % for both).

It doesn't mention one way or the other but if it did it would only be PS4 and Xbox One. Sales for the two would be negligible at this point with very little stock for the 2 consoles. The Horizon Forbidden West PS5 bundle would have also increased the average selling price of the PS5. In the UK it accounts for about 50% of all PS5 sales. 

I thought it included peripherals, of which there are plenty of third party sellers?

trunkswd said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

I thought it included peripherals, of which there are plenty of third party sellers?

I am fairly certain peripherals are counted under accessories and not hardware. 

Ah ok, thanks.

Around the Network
yo33331 said:

So with the new adjustments we now have a new low point for the Switch since 2019 - 249k (week ending August 20th).

Also something that I just found out.. I though after the launch there weren't any weeks that PS5 passed the Switch .. It turns out there have been two .. (maybe they were adjusted not long ago, because I am pretty sure they weren't the same when I looked some time ago) The weeks are from last year - weeks ending september 25th and october 2nd. PS5 beat the Switch both weeks by about 15k.

I'm sure the overlap has shown for a long while, I can't say for certain if it's always been 2 consecutive weeks but believe that last pre-OLED week has been PS5>NS at least since early 2022.

Here are the original estimates for w/e Oct2nd: https://www.vgchartz.com/article/451027/ps5-nearly-outsells-switch-worldwide-hardware-estimates-for-sep-26-oct-2/
Switch is basically the same, PS5 up by 25k.

Last edited by HigHurtenflurst - on 20 September 2022

I don't know why you guys constantly have Xbox selling equal to or a little less than PS5 in the America. PS5 stock greatly improved. It's going to be outselling Xbox by a pretty big margin going forward. World wide will be even bigger. It's going to start selling more than Switch too.

I still believe that 16M Xbox total is way overtracked.

Formerly ilovegirls69  :(

A lot of positive signs that Sony will hit their 18M forecast for FY22.

With how stock has been improving since June, the PS5 may be able to reach 24M by the end of this month, and will have enough units for a massive holiday season.

Rumblings going around that the trade comitions might make MS disclose hardware numbers. If so VGCz will be adjusting down some numbers by huge amounts. There's no way it's a 16m with just another halo and gears in 3 years.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Pionner said:

I don't know why you guys constantly have Xbox selling equal to or a little less than PS5 in the America. PS5 stock greatly improved. It's going to be outselling Xbox by a pretty big margin going forward. World wide will be even bigger. It's going to start selling more than Switch too.

I still believe that 16M Xbox total is way overtracked.

Not anytime soon with Splatoon 3 boosting worldwide Switch sales and remember for PS5 to outsell Switch it has to massively outsell it in Europe and America to make up for pummeling it takes in Japan.