By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How many units will the Xbox Series X/S sell lifetime? + Graph vs X360

How many units will the XBSX sell lifetime

Under 60M 6 12.50%

60-70M 8 16.67%

70-75M 4 8.33%

75-80M 10 20.83%

80-85M 7 14.58%

85-90M 4 8.33%

90-100M 4 8.33%

100M+ 5 10.42%

Total:48
Mar1217 said:

60-70M. Some might have forgot the later performances of the 360 during it's late cycle was due to the gimmick of the Kinect mostly.
Would Xbox be able to replicate as such in the late years of the Xbox Series ?

That's true. Kinect did a lot of push 360 sales. With that said, 1st party releases will certainly be stronger in the 2nd half of this gen, which will certainly keep the system relevant for consumers. There is a reasonable chance Xbox will have its strongest 1st party portfolio than they ever have when this gen is all said and done. Software support should push the system to get close to 360 numbers. 

Around the Network

I'd say somewhere around 90 Million. This generation is just starting and none of their big games have been released.

Somewhere in the 70-80M range.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Technology changes are not happening as quickly as they used to, so I expect this generation to last a little longer and so total sales will end up easily reaching 100M past the 360 sales. I figure there will probably be a half gen model release (ie: slim version) that will be counted in the sales.

Not exactly fair, without the cheaper S model the graph would be different.

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:

There is a supply constraint issue now the 360 didn't have to worry about. Is that fair? What if there was only one Xbox model without the supply constraint issue? Sales would still be higher than the 360. 

My guess is somewhere in the 65-75m range. It's pretty much guaranteed at this point for it to outsell the Xbox One but properly keeping up with the 360 is probably too much for it to handle.

smroadkill15 said:
Random_Matt said:

There is a supply constraint issue now the 360 didn't have to worry about. Is that fair? What if there was only one Xbox model without the supply constraint issue? Sales would still be higher than the 360. 

The 360 gen had series S alternative model as well. The core one (named arcade later on). At launch there were to models, the pro - 399$ and the core one - 299$. 2007 they released the elite one - 499$. So It is the same. The Elite one counts as the X one - 499$ and the core/arcade counts as the S now - 299$. It's the same.

However now we have shortages, and back then there were no shortages. And even with that XBSX makes way more sales for now than the 360.

If we have to remove the sales of the S model from the graph then we should remove the sales of the 299$ core model of 360 too.

Last edited by yo33331 - on 17 September 2022

Yeah I agree with the rest I think Xbox is the most unpredictable currently. Remember software pushes hardware sales, it really depends on how Microsoft uses their acquisition and games + Gamepass. I'm pretty optimistic predicting that this will be the best Xbox console in history selling more than the 360. I guess about 100m.

Multiple factors
1. Xbox having the momentum currently
2. Increase in gaming interest and market, bringing more players to console. However, console market overall hasn't increased since the 360 era.
3. Just looking at their actions, you could tell they are serious this time around. I'm not sure if their profit would be too great, but their revenue should be.

Microsoft doesn't share much numbers related to gaming anymore, but I'm sure they will share data if it passes 100m or 360 to appeal to their investors or let everybody know Xbox is doing good (to create more momentum (just like Nintendo with Splatoon). The only issues are stock shortage and stagnation in the gaming industry at the moment.

We really won't have a good idea on the Xbox Series and PS5's outlook until supply chains can catch up to demand. We also don't know if either company is going to make any more huge purchases this generation beyond the Activision deal. My guess right now is 70 million, but that could be significantly higher due to many factors that we aren't aware of at the moment.