By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much will handheld PC gaming impact the Switch's successor?

How large will the impact be?

Just slight 38 95.00%

Significant 2 5.00%

Massive 0 0%

Total:40

It won't have any impact at all. We all know handheld PC's will ge more powerful and more expensive. Just like the release of RTX40 series won't really impact PS or Xbox. Different target demographics and most people willing to pay so much for a handheld pc will buy a Switch 2 anyway.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

If I wanted to do PC gaming, I'd buy an actual PC. If I wanted portable PC gaming, I'd buy a laptop.

I do like that the Steam Deck does at least make PC gaming possible with minimal to no involvement of Microsoft, however.

SanAndreasX said:

If I wanted to do PC gaming, I'd buy an actual PC. If I wanted portable PC gaming, I'd buy a laptop.

I do like that the Steam Deck does at least make PC gaming possible with minimal to no involvement of Microsoft, however.

You are in luck, Apple is getting better support for games and Apple Silicon is pretty damn rad. Like with 200 watts it can easily outrun a rtx3070ti and I9 processor. And with a very small form factor. SoMS might not be necessary for gaming and a multipurpose pc for long.

Qwark said:
SanAndreasX said:

You are in luck, Apple is getting better support for games and Apple Silicon is pretty damn rad. Like with 200 watts it can easily outrun a rtx3070ti and I9 processor. And with a very small form factor. SoMS might not be necessary for gaming and a multipurpose pc for long.

I was wondering how Apple moving away from Intel architecture would impact Mac gaming. It seemed to me like Apple Silicon would put off a lot of developers used to working with Intel processors. It would be kind of cool to be able to play Lunar: Silver Star Story Touch on a bigger screen than a phone, and I've been looking to replace my elderly MacBook.

SanAndreasX said:
Qwark said:

I was wondering how Apple moving away from Intel architecture would impact Mac gaming. It seemed to me like Apple Silicon would put off a lot of developers used to working with Intel processors. It would be kind of cool to be able to play Lunar: Silver Star Story Touch on a bigger screen than a phone, and I've been looking to replace my elderly MacBook.

Given how much more efficient apple Silicon is I would say it's the future. We can only run so much more watts trough new CPU's. If we want to get much more performance out if our systems we need much more efficient systems, which don't require a massive case to keep it cool. Would be awesome if apple ever made a controller and a switch like dock to connect your iPad to your TV.

Around the Network
zero129 said:
javi741 said:

Handheld gaming PCs won't put much of any dent to the Switch/ Switch Successor's success.

People are primarily buying the Switch to play Nintendo games on the TV and on the Go. Something like the Steam Deck can't conveniently offer.

I hear alot of people hyping up the fact that the Steam Deck could "emulate Switch games" and how it could make the Switch useless. However, a vast majority of people do not know or want to know how to emulate games on a Handheld gaming PC as for many people the process of emulating games seems to complicated with too many steps for the average consumer to want to deal with. If emulating Switch games on a Steam Deck was that easy then we should see people choosing the Steam Deck over the Switch since it has ALL the multiplats and Switch games but we aren't.

For fucks sake many people didn't even know the Wii U existed you think that they'll know or want to know how to emulate Switch games on a handheld gaming PC?? Hell no, the average consumer would 99.9999/100 times rather just skip the hassle of trying to emulate games and just buy a Switch.

Yes Handheld gaming PCs will likely be more powerful that the Switch which pretty much all the multiplats with some not coming to Switch. However, most people won't buy a handheld PC over a Switch because:

-People don't want to spend that kind money on a portable only device that could only play games that they could already get on PS/Xbox/PC and even switch at times.

Bolded: You plug in a USB dock and a hdmi cable now you can play steamdeck on tv or on the go.

Bolded 2: once again how is it a portable only device? and what kind of money are we talking about here?, the Steamdeck only costs like 50 more then the Switch OLED. it can also be plugged into a tv or used on the go. Seems to me your getting the device mixed up, read fud getting your self mixed up about what the device can and cant do and now spread fud about it.

You can play your steam deck on the TV, but that costs extra money since you need a USB C to HDMI adapter which costs around 20$ more, so the argument that its just 50$ more than the Switch Oled to be used on the TV & Go is invalid. You'll also need a separate gamepad to play it on the TV/Monitor which would potentially cost more money if the consumer doesn't have another gamepad. 

While playing this on the TV is a nice option to have, think about it, most people who will be interested in a Steam deck will likely already own a PC, PS, or Xbox, places where they could easily play all their multiplat games on a TV or monitor and platforms where they likely already spent a lot on games for it, making Steam Deck's ability to play games on the TV practically useless. So for most consumers the Steam Deck's ability to connect to the TV won't add much of any value when they most likely already have a PS/Xbox/PC to play games on the TV. So essentially they'd have to pay 400$+ for a device they'd almost exclusively use as a portable device which isn't very appealing to many people.

The Switch of course doesn't apply to this because its cheaper than the Steam Deck where you could play games on the TV for more than 100$ cheaper if you choose the regular Switch model, and if a consumer wanted to play games exclusively portabley they could get the Switch Lite which is 200$ cheaper. Also, the Switch is the only convenient place to play Nintendo games on the TV, something that PS/Xbox/PC cant replace. Making the Switch far more appealing.

zero129 said:
javi741 said:

You can play your steam deck on the TV, but that costs extra money since you need a USB C to HDMI adapter which costs around 20$ more, so the argument that its just 50$ more than the Switch Oled to be used on the TV & Go is invalid. You'll also need a separate gamepad to play it on the TV/Monitor which would potentially cost more money if the consumer doesn't have another gamepad. 

While playing this on the TV is a nice option to have, think about it, most people who will be interested in a Steam deck will likely already own a PC, PS, or Xbox, places where they could easily play all their multiplat games on a TV or monitor and platforms where they likely already spent a lot on games for it, making Steam Deck's ability to play games on the TV practically useless. So for most consumers the Steam Deck's ability to connect to the TV won't add much of any value when they most likely already have a PS/Xbox/PC to play games on the TV. So essentially they'd have to pay 400$+ for a device they'd almost exclusively use as a portable device which isn't very appealing to many people.

The Switch of course doesn't apply to this because its cheaper than the Steam Deck where you could play games on the TV for more than 100$ cheaper if you choose the regular Switch model, and if a consumer wanted to play games exclusively portabley they could get the Switch Lite which is 200$ cheaper. Also, the Switch is the only convenient place to play Nintendo games on the TV, something that PS/Xbox/PC cant replace. Making the Switch far more appealing.

Honestly i wasnt going to reply as im sick of replying to fud by biased fans of systems only to end up going to far with my replys. But you deserve it.

PC has many exclusives that isnt on consoles. Why you console fans seem to think it doesnt is beyond me.

Pc's can play every game from old console games right up to Switch (If you think its too much hassle thats you).

Pc's can use any controller thats usb most people are going to have one. Nintendo gamers also buy Switch pro controllers dont they?. Or how about the drift issues forcing nintendo gamers to buy new joy cons every so often??.

Why buy an xbox over a PS5 or an PS5 over an xbox if they all play the same games?. oh thats right they dont. But guess what PC pretty much does.

PC gaming is growing and growing and handheld PC's at a great price of €400 is going to help this. Even more so when the thing is more then 3x as powerful as a switch for only €50 more and allows users to play all them AAA games that will never ever come to the current gen switch.

Now if this post makes me look biased towards Nintendo im sorry as i am a huge huge Nintendo fan. But fans like yourself makes people like me look as biased as yourself when we have to point out your fud.

PC has exclusives but people who are interested in PC exclusives already own probably a much more powerful PC setup, which still makes Steam Deck's ability to play on the TV not very valuable. People interested in the steam deck will likely only be interested in the portability aspect since they likely have other options to play PC games on the TV, so in most people's minds they would essentially be paying 400+$ for a device they'll use exclusively as a portable, which is a bit too much for the broad consumer to shell out.

Yes the Steam Deck's ability to emulate Nintendo games is cool and all but my argument is that it's not a feature thats gonna appeal much to the mass market to put a dent in the Switch's marketshare. If emulating Nintendo games was that easy for the average consumer then we would begin to see the Steam Deck take over Switch's market share since people would prefer to buy a Steam Deck with more powerful hardware, all the multiplats, and Nintendo games, but we haven't seen that cause most gaming consumers don't know or care to know how to emulate games, most gamers aren't hardcore like that.

I'm not attacking the Steam Deck as a device, I think it's an awesome product. However, it's illogical to say it will put any sort of dent to the Switch's market share based on the reasons I just stated.

Only Nintendo itself can have an impact...talk it's cheap! At least the strategy so far is good , there's no  hint of a rush to replace NS once it wi(i)ll have a significant drop in sales, smooth transition this time (but not saving the new gen pokemon for the successor and its launch, not letting sword and shield to come close to the best selling titltes of series heh) However, Zero129 posts agonized me a bit.

Nevertheless, why PC handheld will have an impact, when the so called direct competition (console gaming) hasn't any? Or original PC gaming to PS4/XBOX 1, they ended up selling 167.5m together, that's only 6m down from previous gen (I was afraid of a 20m deficit in the beginning). There is the loyalty factor... People pay 599-699 with ease (ps5) to play ( unlike one time with ps3, though ps5 is a lot more attracting product).... I should have paid more attention to the last paragraph of the post... Anyway, the gist of what i'm saying remains.

Last edited by tak13 - on 23 September 2022

I'm going to guess it won't impact it very much. I still believe the main appeal of Nintendo hardware is their exclusive games. Franchises like Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, Kirby, Pokemon and the list goes on. Plus the Switch's successor will probably be a lot closer to the Steam Deck in terms of performance.

javi741 said:
zero129 said:

Bolded: You plug in a USB dock and a hdmi cable now you can play steamdeck on tv or on the go.

Bolded 2: once again how is it a portable only device? and what kind of money are we talking about here?, the Steamdeck only costs like 50 more then the Switch OLED. it can also be plugged into a tv or used on the go. Seems to me your getting the device mixed up, read fud getting your self mixed up about what the device can and cant do and now spread fud about it.

No, you don't need a separate gamepad or a USB-C dock or a $20 adapter.

All you need is a $13 USB-C to HDMI cable:

Switch OLED 64 GB with Dock: $349
Steam Deck 64 GB with cable: $399 + $13 = $412

price gap: $63 / 18%

Of course you can add an additional controller, but thats optional... the Steam Deck controls work fine while connected to a TV.

For Switch I prefer the Pro Controller at home (the Joy-Cons aren't very ergonomic), for PC devices an Xbox controller.

Original Xbox controllers are usually around $15 cheaper than original Switch Pro controllers, which brings the price gap under $50.

And depending on your TV (or TV accessory like Apple TV, Fire Stick or Chromecast) you can stream the game wireless to the TV, if the TV or accessory supports the Steam Link app.

Last edited by Conina - on 24 September 2022