By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts August 2022 Discussion Thread

Edit. 

Last edited by trunkswd - on 02 October 2022

Around the Network

It's keeping up this well without any notable exclusive Japanese software like the 360 got so they're very much doing something right.

trunkswd said:

There will be a little bit before I do more August comparison charts. I am waiting on the Europe monthly report from GamesIndustry before doing the Europe comparisons, NPD before doing the US comparisons, and both of them before doing the worldwide comparisons. NPD was supposed to come out on Friday, but it was delayed to Tuesday. 

Is that also when we'll get the next weekly sales update then? Tomorrow?

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 Sales Comparison - August 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

Gap change in latest month: 321,331 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 4,748,688 - Switch

Total Lead: 16,242,180 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 111,913,330

PS4 Total Sales: 95,671,150

August 2022 is the 66th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by just 321,331 units when compared to the PS4 during the same timeframe.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PS4 by 4.75 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PS4 by 16.24 million units.

The 66th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is August 2022, while for the PlayStation 4 it is April 2019. The Switch has sold 111.91 million units, while the PlayStation 4 sold 95.67 million units during the same timeframe.

The PlayStation 4 did not reach current Switch sales until month 82 where it sold 112.18 million units.

The PlayStation 4 has sold 116.99 million units through August 2022. The Nintendo Switch is currently 5.08 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 4.

It's been fun watching this one, and I'll miss it once it concludes, but that finale will be the ultimate comeback story, with the Switch rising from the ashes of the destroyed Wii U to surpass even its parent's strongest opponent.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 September 2022

So from what I was able to gather from the various individual sales threads. The breakdown for all six platforms between Sony and MS for month 22 is as follows.
PS4: 25,306,829
PS5: 22,746,087
XSX: 16,527,298
PS3: 14,879,303
XBO: 13,513,074
360: 11,077,822

Looking at the sales we can see that each iteration of XB has been trending ahead of the previous for the same time frame. the same cannot be said about the current PS5 and how it trails the PS4. We know this is likely due to mfg issues but it can also be assumed that consumers may have been more inclined to offset any lack of PS5 availability with that of a Series X/S. Especially given the increased uptick in Series sales in JP this gen where it has more than doubled the lifetime of the XBO in only a matter of months and continues to sell each week. It still has a ways to go to surpass the 360 in JP let alone the original XB but things are certainly looking better for XB this gen overall.

Around the Network

what happened to this thread?

Chicho said:

what happened to this thread?

Site was hacked and the staff and many users were banned. We are trying to restore everything. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

That sucks. I hope you can restore everything. Good luck.

Chicho said:

Thank you. Everything "deleted" is hidden somewhere and our coders are currently digging through everything to find it to restore it.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
Chicho said:

Thank you. Everything "deleted" is hidden somewhere and our coders are currently digging through everything to find it to restore it.

I did think that posts can't normally be deleted. This makes sense. Thanks.