By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo has published 55 games on Switch that have sold at least 1 million units

☝️☝️That’s what I always wonder when it comes to Nintendo games (or games in general). We usually get a estimate of how many units it sold, but we rarely know how much they cost. So even if a game makes less than a million, it can still make a profit based on the budget.

Around the Network

*Sing a song about Nintendo*
Da da da da da da da da! Blinding lights!

That’s all tremendous. I’d love to see third party sales.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

JWeinCom said:

It's kind of funny how upset people were that 3D All Stars was "limited". Seems like they made more than enough for everyone who wanted it to buy it. And, if you want to get a used copy now, it's really not hard to find for less than the original price. Limiting it was just a marketing gimmick to make what was a mediocre collection of some great games more appealing. And it worked.

Was people upset about that? I thought that the limited aspect was more of a confusion. I personally was upset that the pack did not include Super Mario Galaxy 2. 

My view is that people was generally more upset about how little was done with the games. The original Super Mario All Stars included upgraded graphics, added support to save the progress, a new battle mode in SMB 3 and the release of a game that previously had not released outside of Japan. The work they put into the 3D All Stars game seem minuscule in comparison even without the glaring omission of Galaxy 2.

JWeinCom said:

It's kind of funny how upset people were that 3D All Stars was "limited". Seems like they made more than enough for everyone who wanted it to buy it. And, if you want to get a used copy now, it's really not hard to find for less than the original price. Limiting it was just a marketing gimmick to make what was a mediocre collection of some great games more appealing. And it worked.

It was an awful strategy nonetheless. It was released in the middle of Switch life, meaning all late adopters were deprived with the opportunity to get their copies, if they want one. Now needing to rely on used copies

I don't think it's funny, I think it's depressing really, instead of creating value from content they created from pure FOMO effect 

The profit for each game on top 7 is over a billion (no discount).

Around the Network

For a game often considered a failure, Mario Maker 2 actually sold pretty well, 7.89 million is a number most games would kill for.

Also nice to see niche side stuff like LABO, Mario Kart Live, and Game Garage Builder in the million sellers club; sign of a healthy software ecosystem where even these quirky side projects can hit 7 figures.

IcaroRibeiro said:
JWeinCom said:

It was an awful strategy nonetheless. It was released in the middle of Switch life, meaning all late adopters were deprived with the opportunity to get their copies, if they want one. Now needing to rely on used copies

I don't think it's funny, I think it's depressing really, instead of creating value from content they created from pure FOMO effect 

Not really.

Every physical game is going to be limited to some extent, as it's not going to be produced forever. They produced millions of copies, so that's actually way more than most games. So, for people who want a physical copy, it's probably one of the easier games to get.

As for those who need to have it new... that's also pretty easy.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Mario-3D-All-Stars-Nintendo-Nintendo-Switch-045496596743/103673933?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=3350&&adid=22222222227364757839&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=471958745502&wl4=aud-393207457166:pla-980522761892&wl5=9067609&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=117593870&wl11=online&wl12=103673933&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjw6raYBhB7EiwABge5KkoRmz0SBEkDIO-qL3s8YfsccYH5snve0nmSn5YLG1oCrIEisSy__hoCJjkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-3D-All-Stars-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B08HF8KKT6/ref=asc_df_B08HF8KKT6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=475811436898&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5067937920412762452&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9067609&hvtargid=pla-951656118384&psc=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314126049905?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818143230%26meid%3Dc6f63d0bf9654ee4a251a911d5bb09ff%26pid%3D101224%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D275373047870%26itm%3D314126049905%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganicWeb&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1

Ironically, because they announced it as limited, people bought copies and kept them sealed. So, it's not hard to find a sealed copy if that's what you want. You can even find them cheaper then the original price. The only thing you can't get is a digital copy. 

So really nobody got hurt. The only people who you could maybe say did was people who bought it based on hype. But still, those people were offered ports of Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy, and that's what they got. So, I don't really feel all that bad for them. And hey, I'm part of that number. I would have likely gotten it either way, but the limited thing pushed me over the edge and made me opt for physical. I don't feel too bad about it. 

The games made by Platinum for the Switch are all good and overlooked at. Such a shame bcuz those are the type of games that are made with passion, and ppl consistently bash remakes and sequels like Fifa or Cod yet sales proves vocal opinion on the internet is the minority.

eva01beserk said:

The most impressive thing is that Nintendo has masterclass dev cost. A million seller is probably super profitable for them. Would it be EA or Activision it would be a catastrophic failure. Sony or MS a moderate failure.

123tbones said:

☝️☝️That’s what I always wonder when it comes to Nintendo games (or games in general). We usually get a estimate of how many units it sold, but we rarely know how much they cost. So even if a game makes less than a million, it can still make a profit based on the budget.

I think Miyamoto claimed that they wanted to sell 2 million copies for BOTW to recoup the development cost. That is about $120 million, which sounds about right because the most expensive game to develop according to Wikipedia is Star Citizen (339 million) which never released, Cyberpunk 2077 is next sitting at (174 million). Since Botw is most likely their most expensive game, I think it's safe to say a million copies is good enough.

Source: just search up Miyamoto Botw selling or Miyamoto 2 million or Botw development cost.

Shatts said:
eva01beserk said:

The most impressive thing is that Nintendo has masterclass dev cost. A million seller is probably super profitable for them. Would it be EA or Activision it would be a catastrophic failure. Sony or MS a moderate failure.

123tbones said:

â˜Âï¸Ââ˜Âï¸ÂThat’s what I always wonder when it comes to Nintendo games (or games in general). We usually get a estimate of how many units it sold, but we rarely know how much they cost. So even if a game makes less than a million, it can still make a profit based on the budget.

I think Miyamoto claimed that they wanted to sell 2 million copies for BOTW to recoup the development cost. That is about $120 million, which sounds about right because the most expensive game to develop according to Wikipedia is Star Citizen (339 million) which never released, Cyberpunk 2077 is next sitting at (174 million). Since Botw is most likely their most expensive game, I think it's safe to say a million copies is good enough.

Source: just search up Miyamoto Botw selling or Miyamoto 2 million or Botw development cost.

They don't profit 100% from any sale. Retailers and distribution cost money. I would not be surprised if the real cost of of breath of the wild is at tops $80M

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.