By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 16-bit Generation Wars!! Tech Specs and Graphics: Megadrive Vs Super NES Vs Neo Geo Vs PC Engine CD-ROMs/SuperGrafx Vs Megadrive+MegaCD

Which one had the most impressive graphics for the 16-bit generation era?

PC Engine / SuperGrafx + Super CD-ROM 1 3.57%

Megadrive + MegaCD + SVP Chip 4 14.29%

Super NES + SFX* Chips 12 42.86%

Neo Geo 11 39.29%

Total:28
Chrkeller said:

Graphically SNES destroyed Genesis.  The color palette was night/day.  And the music in games like Trigger and VI was just a generation ahead of the Genesis.  The SNES controller was far superior, with a button layout/should buttons that are still used today.  

Graphically the Neo Geo was unmatched...  but good God the prices of those cartridges.

For the time period Genesis 6 button made more sense to match arcade games. Now the only 6 button controllers we see are fight pads. I think for games like FPS it would make more sense now for controllers without macro back buttons.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Chrkeller said:

Graphically SNES destroyed Genesis.  The color palette was night/day.  And the music in games like Trigger and VI was just a generation ahead of the Genesis.  The SNES controller was far superior, with a button layout/should buttons that are still used today.  

Graphically the Neo Geo was unmatched...  but good God the prices of those cartridges.

For the time period Genesis 6 button made more sense to match arcade games. Now the only 6 button controllers we see are fight pads. I think for games like FPS it would make more sense now for controllers without macro back buttons.

Sure, but I view the standard Genesis controller as 3 buttons.  I don't recall when it shifted to 6 buttons, I would assume post SNES.  I had both growing up, but I can't recall the details.  

The Genesis was a great arcade system.  But, IMHO, had nothing against Trigger, Mana, IV, IV, Metroid, Zelda, etc.  

Leynos said:
Chrkeller said:

The SNES controller was very intuitive for Mortal Kombat, with blocking being mapped to the shoulder buttons. That was honestly a small stroke of brilliance. Plus, Square made great use of the layout for Final Fantasy.

Chrkeller said:

Yeah Megadrive/Genesis was an excellent system, but SNES outclassed it.

The superior colour pallette and sound capabilities allowed for games like Donkey Kong Country that were in a whole 'nother league of visual and aural beauty. Mode 7 was an awesome feature too and brought games like F-Zero and Mario Kart to life with smooth pseudo-3D scaling.

Leynos said:

Ranger X on Genesis had some neat tricks to fool you into seeing 3D. It's not 3D at all.

Donkey Kong Country 2 did something similar... Where the developer leveraged parallax and smart scaling to make a "fake" 3D background.

It is actually a shame more games didn't use this technique as it was really stunning back in the day.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

While I enjoyed the SNES a lot more than the Sega Genesis due to it having better colours and sound quality, and really, because of Squaresoft and Rare being pretty much kings of the craft back then, I think it would be a crime for this thread to not include The Adventures of Batman & Robin for the Sega Genesis. Its visual effects showcase is incredible for the hardware it’s running on.

The sequences from 15.30 to 20:20 and from 41:12 to 43:36 are simply insane. Heck, even the game’s first level starts off strong with its perspective effect.

The game didn’t even require the use of a special chip to manage any of this. 

Last edited by Hynad - on 30 August 2022

More SNES goodness

Snes all the way for me, but damn if money wasn't a concern I wish Nintendo could have had some bigger cart like the Neo geo. Chrono Trigger or Zelda with a few hundred megs on the snes would have been incredible.

Pemalite said:
Salnax said:

One thing to keep in mind is that... People are comparing them based on clockrates alone, which would be highly erroneous, the SNES CPU could definitely punch above it's weight when programmed it's way.
The SNES CPU would actually require less cycles for most instructions, which some developers leveraged, which meant that both CPU's had relatively similar MIPS (Although Sega still had a slight theoretical advantage.)

It’s insane that people still argue computing power based on clock rate between different CPUs. It has always only been aplicable to the same CPU at different clocks. 

It’s like saying that car engine A has more HP than car engine B because it can rev higher. 

Spindel said:
Pemalite said:

One thing to keep in mind is that... People are comparing them based on clockrates alone, which would be highly erroneous, the SNES CPU could definitely punch above it's weight when programmed it's way.
The SNES CPU would actually require less cycles for most instructions, which some developers leveraged, which meant that both CPU's had relatively similar MIPS (Although Sega still had a slight theoretical advantage.)

It’s insane that people still argue computing power based on clock rate between different CPUs. It has always only been aplicable to the same CPU at different clocks. 

It’s like saying that car engine A has more HP than car engine B because it can rev higher. 

Even in recent years I remember comparing the Switch's 1GHz CPU to the 3GHz CPUs in the PS3 and 360 and proclaiming the 7th gen platforms were way more powerful, totally disregarding that they were comparing chips of totally different architectures built a decade apart.