By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Lifetime Consoles Showdown: March 2024 (JAPAN)

Will the PS5 outsell PS4?

Yes 4 40.00%

No 6 60.00%

Total:10

How are so different The sales comparision betqeen Switch anda DS here and on The article this sites does monthly.

Based on here Switch cuts the distance from DS by +200k but un VGC article DS gains 50k. It doesnt seems yo make sense.

Last edited by Arfen - on 05 September 2023

Around the Network
Arfen said:

How are so different The sales comparision betqeen Switch anda DS here and on The article this sites does monthly.

Based on here Switch cuts the distance from DS by +200k but un VGC article DS gains 50k. It doesnt seems yo make sense.

Because here the comparison is with the holidays lining up, and in the articles it is not made to line up, but just whatever month's after release is. So on the article the month that is corresponding to july 2023 for the DS is March 2011, And here the month is the same as Switch's one - July (2011).

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

Ok. I can understand now. Thanx for answer ;)

yo33331 said:
Arfen said:

Because here the comparison is with the holidays lining up, and in the articles it is not made to line up, but just whatever month's after release is. So on the article the month that is corresponding to july 2023 for the DS is March 2011, And here the month is the same as Switch's one - July (2011).

This! Just different approaches with how we set up the comparisons. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

This! Just different approaches with how we set up the comparisons. 

This is what make them interesting and unique, despite them being the same.

Around the Network

All numbers have been adjusted and updated with the month of August!

All charts have been adjusted and updated with the month of August!

Charts have been updated to glorious 3K resolution! (I tried 4 and even 6K, however they become more than 500KB and the site doesn't allow it)

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 21 September 2023

3K! wooh wooh

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

All numbers have been updated with the month of September!

XB360 and XBSX lifetime numbers were slightly adjusted!

Just a quick update for whoever is interested in Switch (currently 41.5M) vs the PS2 (46.5M) and the DS (53.5M) in USA:

I won't be doing full table comparison for now, because with the winding down in Switch sales, especially in US (it's probably the region with the bigger decline out of the three regions for the Switch) I can't see how the Switch will pass it (with this year sales probably barely matching 2017 ones (with 2M to go even this is doubtful) . However if there are many people interested in I will do it. This is probably harder for the Switch than even passing DS's global sales.

P.S. New poll has been added! Vote now!

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 15 December 2023

Great thread.
Unless we see a sudden "cliff" even if Switch is tracking behind of DS I do see it passing it, but even if the difference is small I don't think it will manage the extra mile to pass PS2.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."