By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony raises price of PS5 (Good?)

So if you guys haven't noticed yet, apparently Sony decided to raise their price for the PS5 in most regions. A lot of views on this are negative and I think many can agree that this isn't a good look. However, "I" think this is actually a decent decision from Sony. Not to be confused with good decision for the PS5, but a good decision for SIE in the future. Multiple reasons

1. It looks like to me, the gaming market has been shifting away from consoles including Sony. Recently they've been focused on PC, and they claimed that they have their eyes on mobile as well. Clearly the PS5 isn't their main focus now, cuz I don't feel any passion from Sony to sell the PS5 to their customers. 

2. Since the PS5 isn't their main focus, they would rather sell them for profit or relatively low loss. They wouldn't want another PS3 situation. They probably aren't expecting them to sell like their previous consoles as well, because fans are going to be able to play in different platforms. People assume console sales = success for company, which isn't the case. It's the operating profit. Consoles sales determines the success of the product, not the company.

3. PS5s aren't even available for most ppl due to stock issues, so a price increase may result in seeing some on store shelves for ppl to buy.

4. Price hike makes it difficult for scalpers to put their hands on.

5. They basically shifted from: focused on consoles -> multiple platforms like Microsoft or should I say to combat Microsoft's action. Which means both the PS5 and Xbox Series are now in the target for people that can't afford a gaming pc or casual gamers in Sony/Microsoft's eyes. It's not the only place to get profit like it used to be, or a place to play their first-party games. 

Overall, there are definitely cons with this decision, but ultimately this isn't a bad decision for Sony from a business perspective. What do you guys think.

Around the Network

The problem with your analysis is that Sony will sell out of every single system on shelves, the system is heavily supply constrained so a price hike is unlikely to impact it. To me its just an unfortunate anti-consumer move. Particularly in these hard times, sony should just take a slight hit of their hardware revenue and opposed to pushing it onto consumers.

I hope there is backlash since its such a desired, mainstream device (unlike Quest 2 which is popular but nowhere near as desired as a home console)

I don't think there's anything more to it than Sony wanting to maintain/slightly increase profit margins, whilst knowing that they can probably get away with it. Notice that the only place where MS is really competing (US) there is no price rise.

Otter said:

The problem with your analysis is that Sony will sell out of every single system on shelves, the system is heavily supply constrained so a price hike is unlikely to impact it. To me its just an unfortunate anti-consumer move. Particularly in these hard times, sony should just take a slight hit of their hardware revenue and opposed to pushing it onto consumers.

I hope there is backlash since its such a desired, mainstream device (unlike Quest 2 which is popular but nowhere near as desired as a home console)

True that's the big con

They should of done it 2 years ago, when it was apparent that demand greatly outstripped supply.
Its now 2.5 years and I have never once seen them on shelves here.
I wonder if in a month or 2 you will start seeing them on the shelves here

Around the Network

I agree Jim Ryan needs to be booted before its too late.

The difference in company direction as soon as he took over is massive.

* Price hike in games $70...
* $10 cross gen upgrade...
* Barely any PS5 showcase events...
* Full price remaster of games no one asked to be remastered...
* PS5 price hike...

Unless XBS also gets a price raise the PS5 will likely get impacted negatively by this in the long run and probably sell a few million units less in the end.

SegaHeart said:

Lol 

The rest of the world has been subsidising the US for a long time, if their fan bases from the EU want to be suckers then so be it. Just remember, PS would be nothing if it wasn't for Europe, taking their fans for granted.

Oof.

I doubt this will affect the prices where I live since most vendors just seem to set whatever price they want anyways, but if it does it could definitely delay when I buy a PS5, if at all.

From a business perspective I get it, but it's honestly very late to do it. I guess they feel they have a better excuse now though with the inflation.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

GProgrammer said:

They should of done it 2 years ago, when it was apparent that demand greatly outstripped supply.
Its now 2.5 years and I have never once seen them on shelves here.
I wonder if in a month or 2 you will start seeing them on the shelves here

The PS5 is gonna be out for 2 years in next november. It has not been 2,5 years yet.