By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon 3 Direct, 6am PDT/11pm AEST/3pm CEST, August 10th

Nintendo is definitely making a big deal out of this game. There is both a Splatfest and a tournament in Seattle before the launch of the game. (Not sure if they announced some other tournament for people who don't live in the US.) I don't recall what Nintendo did before the launch of Splatoon 2, but I do know the install base for Switch is a whole lot bigger this year than in 2017.

I do think Splatoon 3 is going to sell even better than Splatoon 2, and I wouldn't be surprised if it makes it into Switch's top 10 (which is getting harder and harder to enter.) Out of Switch's 10m+ sellers this is the youngest franchise, and I think it still has room to grow.

Around the Network
cycycychris said:

Pretty disappointed in what they showed in the direct. There are no new ranked modes, no new modes for salmon run. Its practically Splatoon 2 with some new stages, cosmetics, and QOL changes. Kind of disappointed. I was hoping they would bring in some new modes that I could sink my teeth into. Plus they are still making the ranked modes go on rotation as well, which is very frustrating. I'm not sure I will get this, I absolutely loved Splatoon 1, Splatoon 2 was good but felt like I was playing Splatoon 1. Now this seem to continue that trend.

The only thing on my wish list is an old feature from Splatoon 1, and that's being able to see the map in real-time as you play and having the ability to squid-jump by taping on it. Losing that second screen was problem to one of the game's core mechanics, and they never really solved it. 

Oh, and the tornado special (can't remember what it was called). I want that back too lol.

@The_Liquid_Laser

I have doubts that this game will outsell Splatoon 2. While I think it will cross 10 million, outselling Splatoon 2 seems kind of hard to do. Especially since it seems like this game is more of the same. I feel like this game will be a hard sell to people like me, who have already put in a lot of hours to Splatoon 1 & Splatoon 2.

@JackHandy

I loved that special too. It was called Inkstrike. Wish they would've brought it back.

JackHandy said:
cycycychris said:

Pretty disappointed in what they showed in the direct. There are no new ranked modes, no new modes for salmon run. Its practically Splatoon 2 with some new stages, cosmetics, and QOL changes. Kind of disappointed. I was hoping they would bring in some new modes that I could sink my teeth into. Plus they are still making the ranked modes go on rotation as well, which is very frustrating. I'm not sure I will get this, I absolutely loved Splatoon 1, Splatoon 2 was good but felt like I was playing Splatoon 1. Now this seem to continue that trend.

The only thing on my wish list is an old feature from Splatoon 1, and that's being able to see the map in real-time as you play and having the ability to squid-jump by taping on it. Losing that second screen was problem to one of the game's core mechanics, and they never really solved it. 

Oh, and the tornado special (can't remember what it was called). I want that back too lol.

The inkstrike. Splatoon 3 will have the triple inkstrike.

I wish they showed more than just 1 minute of story mode in a 30 minute show, and I feel like they spent too much time overexplaining basic features, but I can't complain too much as I wanted a look at the campaign and I did indeed get that. From what was shown, it seems to be taking some cues from the Octo Expansion in terms of design.

The new 3-way Tricolour Turf War is definitely the headline feature and looks like a cool addition.

I like the new Bow and Splatana weapons as well. 

Last edited by curl-6 - on 11 August 2022

Around the Network
Torpoleon said:

@The_Liquid_Laser

I have doubts that this game will outsell Splatoon 2. While I think it will cross 10 million, outselling Splatoon 2 seems kind of hard to do. Especially since it seems like this game is more of the same. I feel like this game will be a hard sell to people like me, who have already put in a lot of hours to Splatoon 1 & Splatoon 2.

@JackHandy

I loved that special too. It was called Inkstrike. Wish they would've brought it back.

I think one factor that might affect this is that the install base is much bigger than when Splatoon 2 arrived back in 2017. Which is wild because it was the launch year. But I think Splatoon 2’s legs just got cut off for one reason or another after 2-3 years and outside of hardcore competitors, I’m not sure if a lot of people are playing it nowadays. I mean it’s no longer a top 10 best seller on the switch’s software lifetime sales. Thus, maybe partly why the sequel was made and that there’s a chance that it’ll do better. I barely see Splatoon 2 in the top 30 charts in Japan nowadays despite it being arguably a bigger deal than even Final Fantasy nowadays in Japan.

And probably another reason why the sequel was made is because of the many changes and updates that were shown in the direct. Not sure how they would implement that ghost and instant match setup system with friends and other users without overhauling Splatoon 2’s online system, which may be a waste of time for the developers who wanted to include more stuff that they couldn’t anymore with Splatoon 2. Same thing with the tricolor turf war and the other customization features. I don’t know, I don’t know other online games simply add those things  years after they launched since I barely play online games so forgive my naivety.

Though they did confirm that you can transfer some of your save data from Splatoon 2 to 3. That way, you’re rankings and such will be based on how you did back in Splatoon 2.

I understand this place isn't the best to say something like this, but I think Splatoon would be an amazing mobile game. The concept fits so well with mobile games...

Shatts said:

I understand this place isn't the best to say something like this, but I think Splatoon would be an amazing mobile game. The concept fits so well with mobile games...

We must have very different phones if you think that Splatoon could work on a phone. Guess I’ll never understand that world. Isn’t Fortnight on mobile too? How in the heck?

super_etecoon said:
Shatts said:

We must have very different phones if you think that Splatoon could work on a phone. Guess I’ll never understand that world. Isn’t Fortnight on mobile too? How in the heck?

Obviously I'm not saying to port the exact same game. It most likely won't run, but like COD mobile for example they can make a mobile version. I think mobile games are complete different games for the most part. I'm not rlly sure about Fortnite bcuz I have heard it can crossplay or something but the quality obviously isn't great.

I feel like I somehow came out of that direct feeling more and less hyped for the game, despite that making no fucking sense.

I think I was kind of hoping for something a little fresher. Some kind of major shake up to the formula. And that wasn't really here. There were lots of little things and refinements. I like that weapons and clothes are on different currencies, because I would always hate buying clothes because I wanted weapons. The new megabosses in Salmon run look cool. It seems that they've streamlined the process for tweaking clothes to your liking so its less of a grind. But, aside from the card game (who saw that one coming) there's nothing that feels super new.

On the other hand, seeing the direct reminded me just how fun Splatoon is. And there is enough new stuff that will make it worth diving in again. Ultimately, this feels like a weird sort of gray area. There's way too much for it to have been an expansion, but not quite enough to make it feel like a brand new game. But I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun, and I guess that's what matters.