By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Switch 2 Getting ORIN (2022) or ATLAS (2025) Nvidia Tegra chip for a 2025 release?

Next Tegra Chip for Switch 2:

ORIN (2022) 19 63.33%

ATLAS (2025) 4 13.33%

Cell Broadband Engine (PS3 2006) 7 23.33%

Total:30

Orin is ready now. Can launch any time now, the economic slowdown means nothing is in short supply now. 5nm is available, ram is available, everything is becoming abundant.

Also Nintendo could still just release a 5nm revision of the original Tegra.... fanless design.

Around the Network
Alistair said:

Nintendo could launch Orin in early or mid 2023, no need to wait. Breath of the Wild 2 and the chip is ready. 5nm supplies are abundant now that the economy is slowing.

Nintendo wants to ensure that they transition well into the next generation. Your suggestion is not the way to do that. That's way too sudden. 

Doctor_MG said:
Alistair said:

Nintendo could launch Orin in early or mid 2023, no need to wait. Breath of the Wild 2 and the chip is ready. 5nm supplies are abundant now that the economy is slowing.

Nintendo wants to ensure that they transition well into the next generation. Your suggestion is not the way to do that. That's way too sudden. 

True, but maybe Alistair didn't mean about Next Gen? We can get a Switch V3 with Orin, Fanless and an amazing battery life. Or a Pro that I doubt.

If we get a better Switch with Odin, I'm pretty sure that Atlas would be the Next Gen, but Odin architecture could be a problem, so maybe a Tegra X3 7nm.

Last edited by eddy7eddy - on 26 July 2022

I voted for Cell because it's funny, but I legitimately think that Orin will be the chipset they use. The only way I could see them using Atlan is if they are able to develop a smaller unit for a fantastic price/performance ratio and the console doesn't launch until late 2025. Even then...it's very much a stretch.

I am very much hopeful for a nice mid-step between the NX and AGX model Jetson Orin chips. A leaker suggested that it should have 12SM's (meaning 1536 CUDA cores), which was based on information from the Nvidia leak (which has so far pretty much all been true). If that's accurate, then it should be within that mid-step range. However, I'm prepared to be disappointed.

eddy7eddy said:

True, but maybe Alistair didn't mean about Next Gen? We can get a Switch V3 with Orin, Fanless and an amazing battery life. Or a Pro that I doubt.

If we get a better Switch with Odin, I'm pretty sure that Atlas would be the Next Gen, but Odin architecture could be a problem, so maybe a Tegra X++ 7nm.

At this point, a Switch v3 with this type of hardware wouldn't make sense. The gap is too big.

Orin is a generation above what the Switch can do. We are talking twice the RAM with four times the bandwidth, four times the CUDA cores...and this is all minimum (i.e. the lowest Orin variant). I don't think Nintendo would use this just for a Pro variant. It's just too much of a leap up. 

Around the Network
Doctor_MG said:
eddy7eddy said:

If we get a better Switch with Odin, I'm pretty sure that Atlas would be the Next Gen, but Odin architecture could be a problem, so maybe a Tegra X++ 7nm.

At this point, a Switch v3 with this type of hardware wouldn't make sense. The gap is too big.

Orin is a generation above what the Switch can do. We are talking twice the RAM with four times the bandwidth, four times the CUDA cores...and this is all minimum (i.e. the lowest Orin variant). I don't think Nintendo would use this just for a Pro variant. It's just too much of a leap up. 

That's why I mentioned a Tegra X on 7nm, just more efficient, but I don't think we're gonna have any new model other than maybe a Lite OLED at this point. 

People doesn't know that they already have a Switch Pro in their hands, Switch V2, you can use it's full potential and easy have a much stronger console just risking battery time.

Doctor_MG said:
eddy7eddy said:

If Nintendo goes with a stock Jetson it has 4X the Ram of Switch at 16GB. Not sure they will go as low as 8 in 2024. They increased the ram of Switch before launch and I think they do for Oriin as well. 10-12GB total instead of 8.

Last edited by Leynos - on 27 July 2022

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

They would go for Orin, readily available and much cheaper

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

What are the specs of the Atlas chip? Have those even been released?

Looking at the comparisons between Orin and the Tegra X1 Maxwell I'm sure they'll go with Orin. It's 7-8 times more powerful and that is a generational leap for a console. If they are smart they'll repeat the hardware decisions they made with the Tegra X1 and slightly underclock it for battery life while adding more RAM than the chip normally comes with. If they release the next-gen Switch at any point between 2023 and 2025 that's almost certainly what they'll do. If they wait too long it'll be too close to the release of the PS6 and XB5.

I think they're currently aiming for a March 2024 release, giving the OG Switch a full 7 years before being replaced and also releasing 3.5 years into the PS5's life-cycle like they did with the PS4. Now that the Switch has passed its peak it's time to start seriously preparing for the next generation, but Switch is still selling too well to replace this fiscal year. That may not give Switch enough time to catch up to the DS and PS2, but Nintendo is more interested in profits than sales records.

Orin or some AMD mobile chip, maybe a Snapdragon, but anything else is probably not a viable option

Leynos said:

They better stick with Nvidia so all my cart games work in BC.

Considering the performance uplift, they could achieve that through emulation without too much of a hustle

Alistair said:

Orin is ready now. Can launch any time now, the economic slowdown means nothing is in short supply now. 5nm is available, ram is available, everything is becoming abundant.

Also Nintendo could still just release a 5nm revision of the original Tegra.... fanless design.

7 or 5nm Tegra X1 could come next year as a final upgrade for the current Switch. Might not be fanless, but should achieve higher clock speeds and better battery life. The 5nm option could also help Nvidia out with their excess wafers at TSMC, so I definitely think that this could be an on the table. 

eddy7eddy said:
PAOerfulone said:

Between the two options and knowing Nintendo, they'll likely go with ORIN for a 2025 release since it'll allow them to sell the Switch 2 at a profit right out of the gate, which is something they always try to do with all their systems.
As a gamer, I'd love for them to go with ATLAS, sell at a loss, and make up for it with software sales, subscriptions, and continued Switch 1 hardware and software sales. That way the Switch 2 will be more advanced and more capable of running the major 3rd party games, which in turn will really benefit them towards the latter part of that system's life cycle.
But seeing as how their financial outlook will be FAR more dependent on the success of their next gen system, since it'll be the only next gen system they launch as opposed to a separate console and handheld, then the former is the more likely route they will go.

I really wish they take the risk with ATLAS, ORIN Production modules will be available at the end of this year for $399 and it's a new chip, I understand the extra cost of everything, but they can get a good deal.

That price is way too high for a console, but by 2024/2025 it should be cheap enough to be an option.

As even the small one consumes too much to have a viable battery life without making it too heavy to be handheld, Nintendo will have to lower the clock speeds, with a CPU speed of probably ~1.5Ghz (Orin reaches 2Ghz) and GPU ~700Mhz (Orin: 918Mhz) to get power consumption down to less than 8W

Over on the AMD side of things, Rembrandt has shown that AMD can now make really high performing APUs on a tight power budget. A low-power spinoff/successor from there could be used both in an upcoming Switch successor and AMD could use them in their ultra-low-power line (which to this day is still on 14/12nm chips, go figure)

A Rembrandt derivative would probably come with less CU, probably 6 or maybe 8, as 12 would need too much power to feed through. Also possible would be less cores, six cores would be better to keep consumption down without bottlenecking, but I'm not sure if this is an option with AMD and Zen 3. Disabling Hyperthreading is the more likely option in my opinion. Even then, CPU clock speeds would probably go down to somewhere between 2-2.3Ghz and also the GPU clock speeds would need to get cut down somewhat, possibly ~1.6Ghz (No idea what the RDNA2 sweet spot is, so this is just wild guessing).

Since the release is still years away, some Zen4/RDNA3 chip could also be very possible. How that one would stack up in terms of power consumption is still unknown so far however, so we'll have to wait and see what will be possible with those chips in a handheld format.