By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Switch 2 Getting ORIN (2022) or ATLAS (2025) Nvidia Tegra chip for a 2025 release?

Next Tegra Chip for Switch 2:

ORIN (2022) 19 63.33%

ATLAS (2025) 4 13.33%

Cell Broadband Engine (PS3 2006) 7 23.33%

Total:30

I know a 2024 release would include the ORIN chip most likely, but with a 2025 release I'm not sure.
ATLAN chip Sampling is in 2023 and a release date in 2025.

Switch V1 has a Tegra X1, a 1.5 years old chip at release, But now if we get ORIN in 2025 would be a 3 years old Chip.

The good thing is that Nvidia and Nintendo share a stronger relationship now, and they can plan ahead for new releases.

I know, I know, Nintendo and its unexpected decisions.

Last edited by eddy7eddy - on 26 July 2022

Around the Network

Oriin in 2024 still makes the most sense. Still a good chip. Less spensive to keep costs down for a $400 handheld. 8 CPU Cores. 12GB of ram. DLSS. 102 GB a second. 2TFLP. 1024 Shader cores. Better than Steam Deck.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Oriin in 2024 still makes the most sense. Still a good chip. Less spensive to keep costs down for a $400 handheld. 8 CPU Cores. 12GB of ram. DLSS. 102 GB a second. 2TFLP. 1024 Shader cores. Better than Steam Deck.

True, but I was asking for a 2025 release date.

I know they would underclock the GPU for portable mode but maybe we can get the full Jetson Orin NX potential Docked (25W), don't talk too much about Flops you're going to Summon Someone...

The ATLAS chip will likely still be to expensive in 2025. Going with the ORIN chip in 2024 or early 2025. Unless they get some extra special deal and can use the ATLAS chip without risking not being able to sell the console at a profit from day one.

Their options are: Tegra Orin, AMD Phoenix Point (Successor to Rembrandt), Intel Raptor Lake (Successor to Alder Lake), Snapdragon 9/9+, Exynos 2300 or it's successor (Has RDNA2 cores.)... The other ARM manufacturers aren't on the same level with competent GPU's unless it's licensed from another party.

I doubt they will go much newer or older than these.

Seems they had a better experience than Microsoft or Sony with their chip supplies, so the possibility of nVidia being the partner again is real.

...But AMD is also not the same AMD either. Rembrandt has proven they are extremely competent at making low power SoC's.

I think the best thing we can hope for is capabilities that are a little better than the base Playstation 4, sort of how the current Switch is better than the Playstation 3/Xbox 360.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

Their options are: Tegra Orin, AMD Phoenix Point (Successor to Rembrandt), Intel Raptor Lake (Successor to Alder Lake), Snapdragon 9/9+, Exynos 2300 or it's successor (Has RDNA2 cores.)... The other ARM manufacturers aren't on the same level with competent GPU's unless it's licensed from another party.

I doubt they will go much newer or older than these.

Seems they had a better experience than Microsoft or Sony with their chip supplies, so the possibility of nVidia being the partner again is real.

...But AMD is also not the same AMD either. Rembrandt has proven they are extremely competent at making low power SoC's.

I think the best thing we can hope for is capabilities that are a little better than the base Playstation 4, sort of how the current Switch is better than the Playstation 3/Xbox 360.

I wish Apple's M Series would be an option, would be a monster console if you develop games specifically for that chip.

I kind of remember a partnership between Nintendo and Nvidia for 10 years, what I remember is that before Switch release, Nvidia Expected a 20-Year relationship with Nintendo, I guess they are expecting 3 generations of Switchs with Nintendo. (Switch, Switch U & Switch One)

But true, I can see the Next console beating PS4, getting results closer to PS4 Pro, thanks to the new arquitectures and developed capacities for the new generation processors.

And TFlops...

Between the two options and knowing Nintendo, they'll likely go with ORIN for a 2025 release since it'll allow them to sell the Switch 2 at a profit right out of the gate, which is something they always try to do with all their systems.
As a gamer, I'd love for them to go with ATLAS, sell at a loss, and make up for it with software sales, subscriptions, and continued Switch 1 hardware and software sales. That way the Switch 2 will be more advanced and more capable of running the major 3rd party games, which in turn will really benefit them towards the latter part of that system's life cycle.
But seeing as how their financial outlook will be FAR more dependent on the success of their next gen system, since it'll be the only next gen system they launch as opposed to a separate console and handheld, then the former is the more likely route they will go.

They better stick with Nvidia so all my cart games work in BC.

Last edited by Leynos - on 26 July 2022

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

PAOerfulone said:

Between the two options and knowing Nintendo, they'll likely go with ORIN for a 2025 release since it'll allow them to sell the Switch 2 at a profit right out of the gate, which is something they always try to do with all their systems.
As a gamer, I'd love for them to go with ATLAS, sell at a loss, and make up for it with software sales, subscriptions, and continued Switch 1 hardware and software sales. That way the Switch 2 will be more advanced and more capable of running the major 3rd party games, which in turn will really benefit them towards the latter part of that system's life cycle.
But seeing as how their financial outlook will be FAR more dependent on the success of their next gen system, since it'll be the only next gen system they launch as opposed to a separate console and handheld, then the former is the more likely route they will go.

I really wish they take the risk with ATLAS, ORIN Production modules will be available at the end of this year for $399 and it's a new chip, I understand the extra cost of everything, but they can get a good deal.

Nintendo could launch Orin in early or mid 2023, no need to wait. Breath of the Wild 2 and the chip is ready. 5nm supplies are abundant now that the economy is slowing.