By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How Extremely Super unhappy you are that Grim Fandango 2 will never be made because of the genre it is?

Well, we get a new Monkey Island from Ron Gilbert no less. So if that does decent at least, maybe Microsoft/Xbox says go to Schaefer.

And you brought up the idea of turning it into an RPG. I haven't thought about it, but such a genre jump might be feasible. Must be turn-based to keepwith the nature of point&clicks, but an RPG would still allow puzzles and talking to different people only add another layer with abilites. It wouldn't need to add fights at all, the increasable abilites could influence solutions to puzzles or give more speak options with people or other stuff.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Not entirely true. Double Fine has remastered 3 of the classic LucasArts point-and-click adventure games, including Grim Fandango. Alongside Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle. Not to mention they created an original title called Broken Age.

And with Monkey Island making its triumphant return this year with nearly the entire original leads, minus Tim, there could be hope for Grim Fandango 2. Although, idk if Double Fine outright bought the Grim IP from Lucasfilm or they just bought the rights to remastering the original game.

I enjoyed the game but I'm ok with it. I never expected a sequel and not everything needs one.

I'm more unhappy Metal Gear Rising 2, VanQuish 2, and Zone of the Enders 3 will never happen. Not to mention EX Troopers localization. Plus it's time Capcom bring back Mega Man legends .

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I do wish there were more games in that genre since is it really relaxing when a game can controlled mostly or even entirely with just a mouse. Don't Escape: 4 Days to Survive is a very good relatively recent one. Also Grim Fandango was a nice experience.

Go play The Journey Down. Great game all 3 parts and on about everything.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

I thought Grim Fandango was great, but I liked Broken Age even more. If you want a sequel to Grim Fandango, then I'd highly recommend trying Broken Age.

On a scale of 1 to 12, I'd say im about 2 in levels of unhappiness.
Like... I guess its not ideal, but then again, its not a huge tragedy like not getting a Suikoden VI or the fact that Faye Reagan retired.

I didn't like Broken Age all that much (backed it, played part 1, started part 2 and never finished it), so maybe better he doesn't make a sequel :/

So I'm actually relieved it will stay a singular game. The remaster was great with the commentaries. Games should do that more often.

SegaHeart said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I thought Grim Fandango was great, but I liked Broken Age even more. If you want a sequel to Grim Fandango, then I'd highly recommend trying Broken Age.

Recommends Broken Age

SvennoJ said:

I didn't like Broken Age all that much (backed it, played part 1, started part 2 and never finished it), so maybe better he doesn't make a sequel :/

So I'm actually relieved it will stay a singular game. The remaster was great with the commentaries. Games should do that more often.

Doesn't like Broken Age

I'm conflicted if I should try it?

Well, I can say that I didn't back the kickstarter, and I bought both parts all at once, and I did finish it.  I think they improved some parts as they went.  Also, I don't really need hard puzzles, so I thought part one puzzles were the right difficulty, but I looked up the answers from a couple of part 2 puzzles.  But a hardcore Adventure game fan may find the part 1 puzzles too easy.  Lastly, I want to say the English voice acting is awesome and uses some celebrities like Elijah Wood, but you may not get much value from that if you don't play the English version.

Overall, the ideal way to play it is all at once and in English, while the worst way to play it is in parts and not in English.  I don't know if that makes your decision easier or harder.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 20 July 2022

I grew up on adventures games, first text and graphic adventures on ZX and C64, then later point&click on Amiga and PC, and while Grim Fandango is one of the classics, I honestly can't say I miss any particular sequel to any of my all time favorites, given that there's plenty of new good P&C adventure games coming out every year.

Though, I've been patiently waiting for Machinarium 2...