By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How to combat scalpers

Chrkeller said:
DonFerrari said:

I guess they wanted almost all consoles to be sold this way and in all territories

On paper seems great....  but all territories seems like a logistical nightmare.  

As someone said. Sony logistic is to sell to retailers, they don't have the capilarity to sell and ship consoles to each house at a reasonable price.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Chrkeller said:

On paper seems great....  but all territories seems like a logistical nightmare.  

As someone said. Sony logistic is to sell to retailers, they don't have the capilarity to sell and ship consoles to each house at a reasonable price.

Absolutely, which is why not caving to scalpers is the best practice.  I have to assume most scalpers but their upfront charge on a credit card.  If somebody has $5,000 on a credit card, let them have 15% APR for a few months....  see how that works out for them.

DonFerrari said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

Oh I'm not disagreeing that scalping is a smaller portion, but it's still significant enough to become a publicly acknowledged issue.  The issue there is that we have have no way of tracking actual scalp sales versus legitimate sales.  Example: 20 million sold, we can't tell if 5 million of those were purchased through scalpers or just 1 million.  So it looks like less of a problem than it really is.  "According to" Sony are the key words, and I recall them saying less than 20% were not turned on despite being sold, so it COULD be more like 1/5th which is... well, still pretty bad tbh

As for undersold, perhaps my definition is wrong or we just see it differently:

- You see undersold as "made 100 units, only able to sell 50, product is undersold".  That makes sense, so I'm not going to argue that.

- I'm seeing undersold as "made 100 reservsations, only able to complete the transaction on 50".  Not only are there stipulations on purchase, but there's also a $5 deposit required.  Remember when companies used to announce pre-order "sales" numbers?  Most companies consider deposits a "sale" because a transaction has occurred which indicates a far more reliable and higher intention to purchase.  In fact, in most cases, it's considered a near-100% intention to purchase.  So to me, reservations are "sold", but they're not actually able to meet this, so I'm calling it undersold.

Given I haven't had time to look closer, but I could very well be wrong in my definition, but I hope clarifying how I see it still helps even if I used the wrong word.

Also, I have the same thing about sales numbers that they have yet to release, and also a video where I outright say there's no way it can outsell the Switch, but it may not need to sell the millions to prove they have a working system in place for "how to combat scalpers" on a product with enough demand where it SHOULD be an issue.

Jules98 said:

The Steam Deck might not have a scalper problem, but it clearly has a supply problem and the end result for the consumer remains the same: They can't buy the product they want.

I mean, I'm not arguing that, I'm just replying to the topic of how to combat scalpers and how Valve's method has for the most part reduced their presence to the point where THE concern is actually getting to your reservation, not trying to beat bots on a website because it says, "sold out" within 30 seconds of going "add to cart" lmfao

I mean, my point stands in that you can go to Steam right now and plop down a reservation on it (if you meet the stipulations).  Their method has so far proven that if you get your reservation in, you WILL get a Steam Deck.  You can't say the same for a PS5 or XSX.  You have to, *dun dun dun* combat scalper bots that are going to snag that shit fast af so you have to be all ready with your credit cards and shit at some random time of the day... Like, I understand the struggle because I've gotten an XSX, PS5, and RTX3080 all at launch by... having all payment methods ready and a non-broken F5 key at some random time of the day for a "drop".

So I don't know how this is turning into a sales discussion about the Steam Deck

I won't dispute semantics over this so yes, in fact we can say they are undersold because at the moment they still can't meet demand.

And sure this seems to have helped combat scalping, at least much better than what Xbox and PS have done.

I thought it was much less than 20%, more like 5%, for me 20% is to high.

Ugh, I'd have to find it, but I remember someone extrapolating that 20% (or something) of PS5s have never been turned on despite being sold, I could be wrong, but I recall this being an article somewhere.  I assume the reality is that the scalping part is lower, but I can't imagine buying a PS5 and never turning it on unless *dun dun dun* scalper stock.

Chrkeller said:
DonFerrari said:

Absolutely, which is why not caving to scalpers is the best practice.  I have to assume most scalpers but their upfront charge on a credit card.  If somebody has $5,000 on a credit card, let them have 15% APR for a few months....  see how that works out for them.

Yea, I don't get why people buy from scalpers.  I've never bought anything from a scalper in my life because scalpers generally ONLY scalp non-essentials.  If I can't buy and I can live without it, then I'll live without it until I can buy it lmfao

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
ZyroXZ2 said:
DonFerrari said:

I won't dispute semantics over this so yes, in fact we can say they are undersold because at the moment they still can't meet demand.

And sure this seems to have helped combat scalping, at least much better than what Xbox and PS have done.

I thought it was much less than 20%, more like 5%, for me 20% is to high.

Ugh, I'd have to find it, but I remember someone extrapolating that 20% (or something) of PS5s have never been turned on despite being sold, I could be wrong, but I recall this being an article somewhere.  I assume the reality is that the scalping part is lower, but I can't imagine buying a PS5 and never turning it on unless *dun dun dun* scalper stock.

Chrkeller said:

Yea, I don't get why people buy from scalpers.  I've never bought anything from a scalper in my life because scalpers generally ONLY scalp non-essentials.  If I can't buy and I can live without it, then I'll live without it until I can buy it lmfao

Hey don't worry. No need for source, if you have confidence in remembering it was 20% I have no reason to dispute that, as there is no defense for Sony not doing better to prevent scalping problems. The solutions we may think or propose may or may not be practical, but their responsibility is to solve the issue anyway. After over 18 months from launch they had enough time to find a solution.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

Chrkeller said:

Hey don't worry. No need for source, if you have confidence in remembering it was 20% I have no reason to dispute that, as there is no defense for Sony not doing better to prevent scalping problems. The solutions we may think or propose may or may not be practical, but their responsibility is to solve the issue anyway. After over 18 months from launch they had enough time to find a solution.

Welp, it was obvious I wasn't sure on the percentage, so I went and looked it up anyway lol... Maybe you did, too, and didn't want me to look it up because it turns out it was 25% hahaha!

Granted, that was reported over a year ago, so if I had to just extrapolate some spitballing, I'd say stock issues have lessened and that might be down to 15%.  And THEN, to meet the middle ground with you, let's just say 5% of that is people who bought it for their kids for Christmas or birthdays (surely, many parents are smart enough when an item is THIS hot to try and get it while they can, and then just hide it away until it's time).  That would mean 10% is still scalped stock, which is still twice what you're estimating and still enough to say that it's a problem.  Imagine 1 out of every 10 PS5s isn't actually landing in a customer's hands directly, then this whole thread about this makes some sense because that's still a high enough number to disappoint 1 in every 10 people trying to get a PS5.

Naturally, there's more variables there, but even Amazon has moved to some sort of email system and GameStop tried to bank on the demand by creating bundles (I actually don't think bundles combat scalpers at ALL, that's just the cover story to sell bundles).  It's just a mess, and it wasn't any better for GPUs: I consider myself extremely fortunate to have gotten an RTX 3080 at launch at MSRP straight from NVIDIA.  The way that price nearly doubled, I could have sold it and got a 3090 at ZERO cost to myself.  But I really couldn't bring myself to take advantage of the situation like that.  I instead chose to shake my head looking at things went to shit and threads like this form as a result

^^/
Around the Network

In Japan Sony implemented a measure that you need to drop your PS4 (forfeit it to Sony) as proof of ownership to buy the PS5.

DonFerrari said:

In Japan Sony implemented a measure that you need to drop your PS4 (forfeit it to Sony) as proof of ownership to buy the PS5.

Now that's an interesting plan... Mostly because that requires one to have already been part of the ecosystem like Valve but ALSO requires forfeiture.  I wonder how well that actually "worked", though.  Scalpers aren't necessarily stupid, they would just buy out cheap, used PS4s because the overall net profit of scalping PS5s would still be there.

^^/
ZyroXZ2 said:
DonFerrari said:

Now that's an interesting plan... Mostly because that requires one to have already been part of the ecosystem like Valve but ALSO requires forfeiture.  I wonder how well that actually "worked", though.  Scalpers aren't necessarily stupid, they would just buy out cheap, used PS4s because the overall net profit of scalping PS5s would still be there.

True. And perhaps Sony discount the PS5 when you bring a working PS4. Just dunno what they are going to do with the PS4 received, resell, use for parts or whatnot.