By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Favourite console swan songs

What are your favourite games that serves as a swan song/sendoff/last hurrah for a system, as far as being the last or one of the last major games for it, and what about your pick makes it worthy of the title?

Around the Network

For me it would have to be Xenoblade Chronicles, released in NA in 2012, long after the Wii’s heyday. To me, it’s one of the best RPGs ever made, with a great narrative, outstanding music, extraordinary size and scope, and amazingly deep role-playing mechanics.

Another favorite of mine: Donkey Kong Country 3 from 1996. I love it in particular for its overworld and secrets, in addition to its rock-solid 2D platforming and jaw-dropping graphics.

Possibly Xenoblade, although that depends on where you're from.

Skyward Sword for the Wii was a good one. It was its last game, and arguably the best use of motion controls in a traditional game. Finally gave the epic sword fight that the Wii's initial previews seemed to promise.

Kirby. In general Kirby just comes late to the show. Both Kirby 64 and Kirby and the Amazing Mirror could be on the list, but Kirby's Adventure is probably the best example. One of the larger scopes for an NES game, probably the pinacle of NES graphics, and the game that really defined the franchise.

Breath of the Wild/Twilight Princess- Each is more remembered as a launch title than a swan song, but at least Nintendo made good on their promise to release the games for the supporters of their least successful consoles.

Both Final Fantasy 9 and Final Fantasy 12 were fantastic swan songs to the PS1 and PS2 respectively. It's hard to pick one over the other. I think FF9 is a slightly better game, but FF12 is also fantastic and it was the last of the great Final Fantasy games. FF used to be my favorite series, but that stopped after 12. So, I guess FF12 was both the swan song for the PS2, and the Final Fantasy series too.

A lot of the games that where released for NES in 93-94

Around the Network

Not a console, since it's for Amiga 500, but it really went off with a blast, quite literally, with Worms released in 1995.
Sure, there were lot of games released after it (and there are games being made for Amiga 500 to this day), but this was, to my knowledge, last "big" game for it.

I know most if not all of these are not the final games released but were in the twilight and just before or just around the time a successor came out.

PS2. Okami,FF12,DMC3

PS3. Strider. Metal Gear Rising. Dragon's Crown. Lost in Rain. EX Troopers

PS1. Final Fantasy IX. Vagrant Story. Mega Man legends 2. Strider 2.

Vita. Macross Delta. Uppers. Soldner X 2.

PSP. Ys I & II Chronicles.

Wii. The Last Story. Xenoblade.

SNES. Earthbound. terranigma. Front Mission Gunhazard. Metal Warriors. Super Mario RPG.

Wii U. BOTW.Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

DS. Solatorobo. Dragon Quest IX. Infinite Space.

SEGA Dreamcast. Shenmue. Ikaruga. Rez. Fighting Vipers 2.

Saturn. Bulk Slash. Burning Rangers. Panzer Dragoon Saga. (best Dragoon RPG ever) Shining Froce III. Princess Crown. Radiant Silvergun.

Genesis. Monster World IV

Xbox. Capcom Classics Collection. Castlevania Curse of Darkness.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

God of War 2 for PS2... half a year after PS3 launch.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U but it does feel like cheating.

Signature goes here!

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Both Final Fantasy 9 and Final Fantasy 12 were fantastic swan songs to the PS1 and PS2 respectively. It's hard to pick one over the other. I think FF9 is a slightly better game, but FF12 is also fantastic and it was the last of the great Final Fantasy games. FF used to be my favorite series, but that stopped after 12. So, I guess FF12 was both the swan song for the PS2, and the Final Fantasy series too.

Could not agree more with these. 9 was such a great game with a great graphical style which showed truely what the PS1 was capable of, after above FF7.

In the UK, 12 actually came out after the release of PS3 as well. This is back when the PS3 was very expensive at the time and came with backward compatibility. It was around a time when I had left home for the first time and all I had was a old original PS2 with a tiny portable monitor to play it on. It still looked fantastic.

Agreed on the latter as well, while I have played the newer ones, none of them seem to catch the same feel as SNES, PS1 and PS2 generation FF games.

Hmm, pie.