By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Star-Field's comparison are silly

Tagged games:

pokoko said:

I don't know why people are even arguing about this but there really is only one meaningful answer.

Past Bethesda games, except in space.

That is the most accurate comparison, period. You only need watch the video to see Fallout 4 and Skyrim with a splash of previous Elder Scrolls/Fallout RPG conventions. It's literally the Bethesda formula plus alien worlds and starships. That is the only thing you need to consider when deciding if you want to play this game or not.

I think you nailed it.

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

Around the Network
pokoko said:

I don't know why people are even arguing about this but there really is only one meaningful answer.

Past Bethesda games, except in space.

That is the most accurate comparison, period. You only need watch the video to see Fallout 4 and Skyrim with a splash of previous Elder Scrolls/Fallout RPG conventions. It's literally the Bethesda formula plus alien worlds and starships. That is the only thing you need to consider when deciding if you want to play this game or not.

Because there is a need to defend Starfield from the preposterous comparison to NMS =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Nobody should feel the need to defend Starfield in that way since No Mans Sky is widely loved nowadays and considered one of the best comeback stories of the last generation, however, some are definitely attempting to use No Mans Sky to throw shallow digs towards Starfield, PC Gamer did just that with a recent article, Lol.

As I've already said, these comparisons are superficial at best, they share some mechanics but so does almost every game out there, it doesn't mean they'll feel the same or play the same, Starfield will feel completely different to No Mans Sky because they're both completely different genres and there's mechanics that they do share but there's also mechanics that they don't share.

As Pokoko said...All that needs to be said is that it's a Bethesda RPG in space...If you like Bethesda RPGs you'll more than likely enjoy Starfield, if you like No Mans Sky, there is no guarantee you will like Starfield and vice versa if you dislike it, the comparisons are superficial and I don't see these comparisons being made with other titles which share mechanics but are completely different genres.

One of the comparisons made is the laser mining to get ores but even Skyrim had mining, Lol...This is just mining with a laser instead of a pickaxe...It's like the industry has forgotten what a Bethesda RPG is so they have to compare it to something else. Both titles can be good in their own right without being pitted against each other or trying to drag one down to lift the other, or trying to drag them both down when they won't feel the same at all.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 15 June 2022

Something is wrong with the world when comparing your game with NMS is bad but comparing it to a scam is better.

Does star citizen have ladders? If they have ladders you cant compare the two.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Something is wrong with the world when comparing your game with NMS is bad but comparing it to a scam is better.

No Mans Sky is by large the comparison being used the most so that's why the focus is there but I don't think Star Citizen is a good comparison either, it may be closer in some things but once again, Star Citizen is a completely different genre to Starfield and Starfield won't feel anything like it at the end of the day.

It's fine to point out similarities but some are definitely taking the comparisons to an extreme, such as PC Gamer who claimed Starfield is "just an ugly No Mans Sky" or even posts in here, one which claimed that Starfield is No Mans Sky with a bigger budget, both are wildly inaccurate and make little sense and I have seen a lot recently comparisons along the lines of Starfield just being No Mans Sky with realism graphics.

Like I said one of the most pointed out is that Starfield has laser mining but literally Skyrim had mining too, should they have shown him mining the space rocks with a pickaxe instead? Lol. These 3 titles aren't even in the same genre, it's odd how hard people are attempting to push these comparisons instead of simply saying, it's Skyrim/Fallout in space which is what it is.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 15 June 2022

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

What this guy is doimg its actually a disservice. I feel its an insult to want to compare starfield to a scam. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Honestly, these comparisons wouldn't have been made if Bethesda just did a better job at explaining what the game actually was.

It's easy to say that obviously Bethesda is not making something like No Man's Sky, but not everyone knows what a Bethesda game focusses on, or what they could potentially focus on moving forward in their own growth as a company.

If I had not known this was a Bethesda title, I would've also thought it was just a more realistic variation of NMS, because the stuff they showed off was similar in content.
Laying the blame at the ppl who are making the comparisons is just avoiding that Bethesda should've done a better job imho. It's really that simple.

Either way, I think the comparisons are stupid because both Starfield and NMS are definitely 2 different games.

eva01beserk said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

What this guy is doimg its actually a disservice. I feel its an insult to want to compare starfield to a scam. 

Except Star Citizen is not a scam.

Don't get me wrong; as a backer, I'm very unhappy about how long this is taking. But I'm still playing it every time there is a new patch and really like it. Star Citizen is shapping up to be amazing; only issue: it takes for ever because the scope of the game is just way too big; instead of going with an iterative release. But the game is real and already in a very playable form. Only missing part for now is Squadron 42 (the single player experience) where we have no idea when this will actually come out.

Don't call something a scam when you are clearly not knowing what you are talking about and just basing your "oppinion" on whatever you read/half understand about the game or even its state.

Star Citizen release schedule/development is : Disapointing maybe... But this is far from a being a scam and the money created jobs, is 100% used by the studio to develop the game. etc.

OP: I don't think you can compare this game to either Star Citizen or No Man Sky. Genres are just too differents. One is an RPG, one is a survival/exploration game and the last one if a space flight simulator (even if you spend time on foot, that's the focus of the game). And all 3 are/will be good at the end.

Last edited by Imaginedvl - on 15 June 2022

From my perspective... Some of the geometry is jarring, with low-quality, poor texture work thrown on top... I can forgive that though.
The 30fps framerate is also a poor showing... But I can forgive that too.
But what I can't get past is the 15fps particle effects that just look jarring when the ship lands, maybe I am just getting old and want everything to be seamless?

As for the comparisons to NMS and Star Citizen... I have no issue with either of those, enjoyed various aspects from both titles, even if they did have their flaws, both have improved in leaps and bounds over the years.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Imaginedvl said:
eva01beserk said:

Except Star Citizen is not a scam.

Don't get me wrong; as a backer, I'm very unhappy about how long this is taking. But I'm still playing it every time there is a new patch and really like it. Star Citizen is shapping up to be amazing; only issue: it takes for ever because the scope of the game is just way too big; instead of going with an iterative release. But the game is real and already in a very playable form. Only missing part for now is Squadron 42 (the single player experience) where we have no idea when this will actually come out.

Don't call something a scam when you are clearly not knowing what you are talking about and just basing your "oppinion" on whatever you read/half understand about the game or even its state.

Star Citizen release schedule/development is : Disapointing maybe... But this is far from a being a scam and the money created jobs, is 100% used by the studio to develop the game. etc.

OP: I don't think you can compare this game to either Star Citizen or No Man Sky. Genres are just too differents. One is an RPG, one is a survival/exploration game and the last one if a space flight simulator (even if you spend time on foot, that's the focus of the game). And all 3 are/will be good at the end.

Facts.

Its really sad people jump to conclusions on something they know nothing about. I was also a backer for SC who played the demo years ago. Its real, just not official. 

To use "its a scam" to move the goalpost of the comparison is facepalmable.

Pemalite said:

From my perspective... Some of the geometry is jarring, with low-quality, poor texture work thrown on top... I can forgive that though.
The 30fps framerate is also a poor showing... But I can forgive that too.
But what I can't get past is the 15fps particle effects that just look jarring when the ship lands, maybe I am just getting old and want everything to be seamless?

As for the comparisons to NMS and Star Citizen... I have no issue with either of those, enjoyed various aspects from both titles, even if they did have their flaws, both have improved in leaps and bounds over the years.

Hoping the delay will address the smoke effects and also when characters get too far away i notice the FPS drops on animations.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 15 June 2022