By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Sony Turning PlayStation’s ‘Gran Turismo’ Into Movie; Neill Blomkamp Eyed To Direct

Hynad said:
Mummelmann said:

But why? This is absurd at best and disastrous at worst. Even games with actual substance have translated poorly to film and TV in the past, how on earth will this work on any level?

The recent Sonic, Arcane and Castlevania beg to differ…

We just got a bad adaptation of Halo in the meantime sooo I don't know how you would expect outliers like these to become the norm when it comes to vg adaptation into movie/TV show.



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Hynad said:

The recent Sonic, Arcane and Castlevania beg to differ…

We just got a bad adaptation of Halo in the meantime sooo I don't know how you would expect outliers like these to become the norm when it comes to vg adaptation into movie/TV show.

I’m not expecting anything. But…I’m simply not a negative first kind of guy when it comes to these things. And lately, there has been good adaptations, so I think there’s always a chance such projects can turn out good.



Hynad said:
Mar1217 said:

We just got a bad adaptation of Halo in the meantime sooo I don't know how you would expect outliers like these to become the norm when it comes to vg adaptation into movie/TV show.

I’m not expecting anything. But…I’m simply not a negative first kind of guy when it comes to these things. And lately, there has been good adaptations, so I think there’s always a chance such projects can turn out good.

Welp, I'd like to share your optimism but my skepticism of the film industry and the way they treat game adaptations for the small/big screen most of the time has been so many times dubious that I can't in good heart be positive about most outcomes.



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mummelmann said:
Hynad said:

The recent Sonic, Arcane and Castlevania beg to differ…

Arcane was amazing for sure, haven't seen Sonic or Castlevania. But I have seen a slew of other crap made from game licenses. I still think that good productions are the exception and not the rule. I even think that this is a well-known trope and gag in the gaming scene.

I think the main issue with a GT movie for me is that the game itself has no lore, real setting or story to follow, which means anything and everything will be completely freestyle from the producers. Which also means that the GT license itself seems meaningless, I just don't get it. While League of Legends is thin in the story department, there was still a bunch of lore to go by via graphic novels etc, I suppose even Sonic has some actual story. Castlevania is decently lore-rich throughout its almost 40 year history, and at least has some building blocks for a show and/or movie. Gran Turimso simply doesn't, I just find it a weird chose for a licensed film, is all.

I'm failing to see how you're failing to see what a GT story could be: very simply the story of a rookie becoming a pro, which is essentially what GT is.





Around the Network

It would be nice if they turned it into a racing game first...

But it's just car porn at this point, fits a movie. Probably about some old guys talking about cars in a cafe.



twintail said:
Mummelmann said:

Arcane was amazing for sure, haven't seen Sonic or Castlevania. But I have seen a slew of other crap made from game licenses. I still think that good productions are the exception and not the rule. I even think that this is a well-known trope and gag in the gaming scene.

I think the main issue with a GT movie for me is that the game itself has no lore, real setting or story to follow, which means anything and everything will be completely freestyle from the producers. Which also means that the GT license itself seems meaningless, I just don't get it. While League of Legends is thin in the story department, there was still a bunch of lore to go by via graphic novels etc, I suppose even Sonic has some actual story. Castlevania is decently lore-rich throughout its almost 40 year history, and at least has some building blocks for a show and/or movie. Gran Turimso simply doesn't, I just find it a weird chose for a licensed film, is all.

I'm failing to see how you're failing to see what a GT story could be: very simply the story of a rookie becoming a pro, which is essentially what GT is.

Or even the story of the preparation, race and drama of a 24h Le Mans, or a Gr1 championship, etc. Sure there isn't a proper story to adapt, but the theme is there.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

twintail said:
Mummelmann said:

Arcane was amazing for sure, haven't seen Sonic or Castlevania. But I have seen a slew of other crap made from game licenses. I still think that good productions are the exception and not the rule. I even think that this is a well-known trope and gag in the gaming scene.

I think the main issue with a GT movie for me is that the game itself has no lore, real setting or story to follow, which means anything and everything will be completely freestyle from the producers. Which also means that the GT license itself seems meaningless, I just don't get it. While League of Legends is thin in the story department, there was still a bunch of lore to go by via graphic novels etc, I suppose even Sonic has some actual story. Castlevania is decently lore-rich throughout its almost 40 year history, and at least has some building blocks for a show and/or movie. Gran Turimso simply doesn't, I just find it a weird chose for a licensed film, is all.

I'm failing to see how you're failing to see what a GT story could be: very simply the story of a rookie becoming a pro, which is essentially what GT is.

And I'm failing to see why anyone would need to use GT license to tell such a story?



Wonder if this is going to have Sharlto Copley in it lol.

Anyway interested in this. Pretty much enjoyed most of Neill Blomkamp's recent movies.. Want to see how he's going to spin this film.



Mummelmann said:
twintail said:

I'm failing to see how you're failing to see what a GT story could be: very simply the story of a rookie becoming a pro, which is essentially what GT is.

And I'm failing to see why anyone would need to use GT license to tell such a story?

Because it's GT, still one of the moat recognisable gaming IPs today.

And Sony want to expand their IPs further.