By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Summer Backlog discoveries?

You might disagree but I personally am finding May to be a very dry month for exciting new options to play, and little to look forward to next month or in July.

I've had some nice surprises from game pass and from my own backlog. I want to hear about some games that are either old, overlooked, or didn't review well which you've found actually to be great fun. 

Let me know! Some of mine

- Serious Sam 4

- Superliminal 

- Rage (original)

- What remains of Edith Finch

- Guacamelee! STCE

Around the Network

Playing through the Longest 5 Minutes now which I bought for $5 quite a while ago. Not the best game but not bad either. Recently played through Judgment and Star Ocean 1st Departure from my backlog. I enjoyed both those games quite a bit.

Getting through Going Under right now, so far so good, and will most likely start Sakuna this weekend (heard great things about it).
Although I already mentioned this other discovery two months ago, it warrants a re-post:

By chance I bought Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! last year and what a blast it was to play through.

It is a time management/food tycoon game that is literally littered with QTE in which you wiz through menus via button shortcuts. As time goes on, you memorize the button combinations as each recipe has a consistent process, it is then that you reach a kind of zen state meanwhile flying through the orders. If you don't get good through normal gameplay, the easy "zen" mode will help you learn those button combinations.

Tons of variety in the recipes found in quite a few different venues plus and infinite mode with your own restaurant. In this last game mode you design your restaurant's decoration, style and menu selection; all these are unlocked as you play along.

How could I forget the music, nice tunes in there. And did I mention it has co-op, win win!

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

The first Metal Gear on NES was a surprisingly fun game. I had heard nothing but bad things for decades, because it isn't Kojima's version. But I really liked it.

Limbo

Played it like a year after I got it on the eshop and really liked it. Some tough puzzles and great atmosphere and tense moments.

Around the Network

It wasn't part of my, backlog since I beat it five days after it was first released but I would recommend Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising to everyone. Not only did I beat it, but I also got all the achievements for it plus pretty much did almost everything else in the game.

TomaTito said:

Getting through Going Under right now, so far so good, and will most likely start Sakuna this weekend (heard great things about it).
Although I already mentioned this other discovery two months ago, it warrants a re-post:

By chance I bought Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! last year and what a blast it was to play through.

It is a time management/food tycoon game that is literally littered with QTE in which you wiz through menus via button shortcuts. As time goes on, you memorize the button combinations as each recipe has a consistent process, it is then that you reach a kind of zen state meanwhile flying through the orders. If you don't get good through normal gameplay, the easy "zen" mode will help you learn those button combinations.

Tons of variety in the recipes found in quite a few different venues plus and infinite mode with your own restaurant. In this last game mode you design your restaurant's decoration, style and menu selection; all these are unlocked as you play along.

How could I forget the music, nice tunes in there. And did I mention it has co-op, win win!

Wow it has amazing reviews on Steam, too! Surprised I hadn't heard of it. £9.99 later i'll let you know how it goes

AkimboCurly said:

Wow it has amazing reviews on Steam, too! Surprised I hadn't heard of it. £9.99 later i'll let you know how it goes

The whole series is good, some people enjoy the prequel more or the third title, but I really enjoyed the co-op mode this entry introduced.

The PC version has a plus that you can use the keyboard as inputs that mostly use the first letter of each ingredient,
but you can also try the controller inputs if you like.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

I bought Tales of Arise recently.

After being brutalized by both Elden Ring and Strangers of Paradise, it is a nice chill change of pace.

I actually never played the Tales series before this, so I wonder how the other games in the series compare. I always thought the Tales series might have been overlooked, so I had to give it a try.

Next up on the list might be Witcher 3 though. Again another change of pace from JRPG to WRPG.

But it is certainly not low rated or overlooked.