By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Saudi Arabia buys 5% of Nintendo

deerox said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

If you start to get upset over stocks from mega corporations being brought and sold, that's when you will truly get insane

Boycotting is the only thing you can do if you don't want to support the shareholders. Or you can buy their stocks instead, if you have the money 

I don't really  care about them owning 5%. I'm just worried that this is just the beggining and that they are planning to buy a bigger controlling share in the future.

Your worries will eventually become a reality. Better starting to accept it 



Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

People are so dramatic

They can buy as much shares as they want, Nintendo is public traded. If you don't like how open market works, don't support free traded companies, that's all

Well, I'm a socialist, so I believe that Nintendo's employees should be the ones who own the company, collectively and equitably (note that I'm a "co-ops instead of corporations" socialist, not a "state-owned central planning" socialist).

That being said, there ought to be some sort of provision to keep authoritarian governments with a record of serious human rights abuses from buying stock in companies. There are certain other circumstances where someone can be banned from buying stocks, so why not add "conducting public summary executions for adultery or homosexuality" and "committing war crimes" to the list?

Bold 1: Great

Bold 2: This is an elegant solution, however for this to work we would need a collective rule that apply to like every stock exchange, if you block Saudis to buy in one market they will just go to invest in another. And even if you block the Saudi state itself, we still have no power to block their richest elite (the ones profiting from the country oil) to buy stocks elsewhere and keep investing in their own state regardless of any state block, because Arabia is a absolutist monarchy and is privated owned by a bunch of oligarchs, they have no intention to see the government that allow their oil exploration come to and end 



IcaroRibeiro said:
deerox said:

I don't really  care about them owning 5%. I'm just worried that this is just the beggining and that they are planning to buy a bigger controlling share in the future.

Your worries will eventually become a reality. Better starting to accept it 

What makes you think that?



IcaroRibeiro said:
deerox said:

I don't really  care about them owning 5%. I'm just worried that this is just the beggining and that they are planning to buy a bigger controlling share in the future.

Your worries will eventually become a reality. Better starting to accept it 

There are laws in place to prevent things like that from happening.



This just proves that nothing we do makes a difference, so we might as well try to say "Fuck it." and not give a shit about who owns what or what comes from where. All else I can suggest is wishing Saudi Arabia is hit with a devastating natural disaster that severely hampers their economy, but since that's not as likely to happen I say just go with stop caring.

Kakadu18 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Your worries will eventually become a reality. Better starting to accept it 

There are laws in place to prevent things like that from happening.

Money talks too loud for those laws to work, especially Saudi money. Might as well accept that Peach will become Mario's punching bag in a burka and Bowser will be made into a horrific caricature of Jews. This is just how the world works and always will work, so why bother trying to fix it anymore?

Zyphe said:

Apparently, Nintendo learned of the stake only from news reports, not internally. Waiting for the Big N for an official response on this.

Wait, what? They didn't have a say in this?

Last edited by CaptainExplosion - on 19 May 2022

Around the Network
deerox said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Your worries will eventually become a reality. Better starting to accept it 

What makes you think that?

Because their core business (oil extrativism) won't last forever and their country is arid and mostly unproductive, a cost-effective way to drain their money is investing in business from foreign companies so they won't need to rely in a single investment/market anymore. It's not Nintendo (for now) but they will get large stakes in other companies eventually 



IcaroRibeiro said:
deerox said:

What makes you think that?

Because their core business (oil extrativism) won't last forever and their country is arid and mostly unproductive, a cost-effective way to drain their money is investing in business from foreign companies so they won't need to rely in a single investment/market anymore. It's not Nintendo (for now) but they will get large stakes in other companies eventually 

Then we might as well accept that the world is shitty and move on like I said. Money talks louder than all else.



Nevermind, link was false info. About female characters being removed from Mario Kart 8

Last edited by SegaHeart - on 19 May 2022

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

CaptainExplosion said:



Kakadu18 said:

There are laws in place to prevent things like that from happening.

Money talks too loud for those laws to work, especially Saudi money. Might as well accept that Peach will become Mario's punching bag in a burka and Bowser will be made into a horrific caricature of Jews. This is just how the world works and always will work, so why bother trying to fix it anymore?

Zyphe said:

Apparently, Nintendo learned of the stake only from news reports, not internally. Waiting for the Big N for an official response on this.

Wait, what? They didn't have a say in this?

Obviously they didn't have a say in this, that's how the stock market works.

And no, money is exactly why these laws exists in the first place. Nintendo is one of the most important companies in the Japanese economy and the laws I'm talking about are there to prevent hostile take overs of big important companies like Nintendo. The regulations are very strict. There is no way Nintendo would agree to sell to the Saudis and even if they did the government would probably not allow it.

With a 5% share the Saudis have zero influence on anything abd therefore nothing with their games will change.



Kakadu18 said:
CaptainExplosion said:



Money talks too loud for those laws to work, especially Saudi money. Might as well accept that Peach will become Mario's punching bag in a burka and Bowser will be made into a horrific caricature of Jews. This is just how the world works and always will work, so why bother trying to fix it anymore?

Zyphe said:

Apparently, Nintendo learned of the stake only from news reports, not internally. Waiting for the Big N for an official response on this.

Wait, what? They didn't have a say in this?

Obviously they didn't have a say in this, that's how the stock market works.

And no, money is exactly why these laws exists in the first place. Nintendo is one of the most important companies in the Japanese economy and the laws I'm talking about are there to prevent hostile take overs of big important companies like Nintendo. The regulations are very strict. There is no way Nintendo would agree to sell to the Saudis and even if they did the government would probably not allow it.

With a 5% share the Saudis have zero influence on anything abd therefore nothing with their games will change.

But they still get a share of profits from Nintendo games, right? Also, the link was false info?