By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Saudi Arabia buys 5% of Nintendo

Apparently, Nintendo learned of the stake only from news reports, not internally. Waiting for the Big N for an official response on this.

Around the Network

5% doesn't give them any power over Nintendo, not really any need to worry.

What's with the Saudi Prince investing so much into Japanese game companies? Wouldn't be surprised if we see that he purchased a 5% stake in Bandai Namco or Sega soon.

WTF lol

This is just the start. The first steps in the Saudi Prince's soon to come monopoly on videogames.
5% is not much, but bigger things are coming. I'd assume Sega is next.

Around the Network

I own a small portion of Nintendo as well...no where near 5% but yeah it' doesn't give Saudi Arabia any power over Nintendo. I suppose they could try to appoint someone to the board, not sure if it's as easy for activist investors to push around companies in Japan as it is in the USA.

People are so dramatic

They can buy as much shares as they want, Nintendo is public traded. If you don't like how open market works, don't support free traded companies, that's all

How is Captain Explosion gonna feel about this?

SegaHeart said:
Jpcc86 said:

This is just the start. The first steps in the Saudi Prince's soon to come monopoly on videogames.
5% is not much, but bigger things are coming. I'd assume Sega is next.

Saudi Arabia needs go invest in other things and not gaming. I don't how much I lose my brain if Saudi Arabia or Tencent bought majority shares of SEGA but hoping they get none on SEGA 0%. God please let Microsoft buy few stakes of Sega. You really like making feel bad about the Saudi targeting SEGA :(

Back in february he acquired 5% of Capcom.
Last month he became the owner of SNK.
He just acquired 5% of Nintendo.
I'd say by October he is probably gonna own 100% of Sega.

The sky is the limit. 

Jpcc86 said:
SegaHeart said:

Saudi Arabia needs go invest in other things and not gaming. I don't how much I lose my brain if Saudi Arabia or Tencent bought majority shares of SEGA but hoping they get none on SEGA 0%. God please let Microsoft buy few stakes of Sega. You really like making feel bad about the Saudi targeting SEGA :(

Back in february he acquired 5% of Capcom.
Last month he became the owner of SNK.
He just acquired 5% of Nintendo.
I'd say by October he is probably gonna own 100% of Sega.

The sky is the limit. 

Haha if the Saudi prince is a fan of Skies of Arcadia, it might not be so bad!