By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - If Sony buys Square Enix, will there be hope for another LoD?

Tagged games:

So...

Nah, they hate it! 7 15.56%

No, FF > LoD 6 13.33%

No, because of you 7 15.56%

Maybe, SE can try it 1 2.22%

Maybe, just... maybe 2 4.44%

Yes, because of you 5 11.11%

Yes, LoD > FF 3 6.67%

Yeah, they will! 2 4.44%

What is a LoD? 4 8.89%

Rather see Knack 3 by Square 8 17.78%

Total:45

Sony doesnt have money for square enix

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:

No. Big purchases like this are never good for the smaller series, mostly because the buyouts are done with the big IPs in mind.

Pretty much. Sony getting SE. means absolutely nothing for LoD.

Jaywood2010 said:

However, hypothetically if the two were to join forces, I wouldnt rule it out completely, but I think the more likely candidate would be to remake Legends of Dragoon from an already Sony owned studio being Bluepoint. 

I actually have doubts that Sony would put Bluepoint onto a LoD remake. Will be a very costly endeavour for a very niche game.

victor83fernandes said:

They were going to buy Leyou for a billion dollars. They can very easily get SE.

victor83fernandes said:

They were going to buy Leyou for a billion dollars. They can very easily get SE.

You go from 1B to around 5B (around 680B Y at the moment which would be around 5B USD) market cap and call it "easy" :)

Form the current market cap, that's already 5 times what they wanted to pay for Leyou and this is without any premium (probably at least 30% if not way more) so 6.5B would be the bare minimum. I do not think this is an easy thing for Sony. I suspect anything lower than 8B would not be accepted by SE Board too.

In any case, I believe Sony can get the money; but as SE is already doing so many exclusives for Sony; I don't think this would be a very good business decision; they should spend their money on something else imo.

Angelus said:

Nope. Good talk.

You were once a believer...

Shiken said:

We have a better chance of getting a 3rd Chrono game than we would a LoD sequel. Think about it this way...Sony did nothing with it when they had control over it for years...do you really think they would all of a sudden prioritize it over all the other SE IP they would get if Sony bought SE?

Not prioritize, but integrate on it.

Instead of letting Square push FF spin off like for example Stranger of Paradise or whatever, they could say "we have this one right here, you guys should give a try".

If they make Bluepoint remake it before and its well received, that is.

A new game without a remake to make people even remember it (and prove if they actually want it) is really not happening.

Around the Network

How to turn a silly obsession and yourself into a meme.

Hynad said:

How?

Hynad said:

Geez, what a mean spirited comment. At least the other people saying "Nope, good talk" are less condescending.

Honestly I'm not sure what the Square purchase would mean for a LoD remake/reboot but I'd say that stranger things have happened. Crash, Shenmue, Mega Man and Valkyrie Profile were all dead franchises until the people in charge gave them a chance.

Id be more hoping for a Chrono Trigger Remake.

Spike0503 said:
Hynad said:

Geez, what a mean spirited comment. At least the other people saying "Nope, good talk" are less condescending.

Honestly I'm not sure what the Square purchase would mean for a LoD remake/reboot but I'd say that stranger things have happened. Crash, Shenmue, Mega Man and Valkyrie Profile were all dead franchises until the people in charge gave them a chance.

Shenmue coming back was heartwarming to Shenmue fans but when it Recieved hate by critics and the gaming masses I think it killed a Potencial Shenmue 4? But atleast we got the anime to finish the story I guess? still hoping for a Shenmue 4 that is not kickstarted (can see current Microsoft doing it and not the 1 from Xbox One generation which killed lion head and other things?)

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.