By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - If Sony buys Square Enix, will there be hope for another LoD?

Tagged games:

So...

Nah, they hate it! 7 15.56%

No, FF > LoD 6 13.33%

No, because of you 7 15.56%

Maybe, SE can try it 1 2.22%

Maybe, just... maybe 2 4.44%

Yes, because of you 5 11.11%

Yes, LoD > FF 3 6.67%

Yeah, they will! 2 4.44%

What is a LoD? 4 8.89%

Rather see Knack 3 by Square 8 17.78%

Total:45

Why make LoD when you can make FF, CC, etc?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Ashadelo said:

Has anyone outside of this thread even heard of this game?

It sold over 1.3mil units.

Wasn’t there a persistent rumor about Bluepoint having a second project besides Demon’s Souls, which purportedly was a Legend of Dragoon remake? Bluepoint themselves teased two projects on Twitter, with hints from various franchises including Metal Gear Solid and Castlevania, among the aforementioned two. But that was months or a couple of years before the Demon’s Souls announcement. After the acquisition, Bluepoint has a desire to make original content, so things may have changed.

But let’s say that Sony acquires Square Enix. Would one of SE’s teams work on a Sony IP, like Legend of Dragoon? I’m not well acquainted with SE’s internal divisions or studios, but it’s safe to say that SE wouldn’t care much to resurrect a two-decades old franchise of Sony’s when they themselves have a multitude of IPs which haven’t been utilized in years as well. And seeing how much invested into Final Fantasy they are, it’s very unlikely to let another JRPG breathe besides their favorite child.

Unless Sony has any plans to somehow turn LoD into a live-service or gacha game, the title will stay into obscurity among the general public. Admittedly, I’ve never played LoD so it could be possible to expand its world and keep it alive for several years would it be successful. Sony has founded ForwardWorks which works on mobile games based on Sony’s dead franchises, but its main focus is catering to their Japanese audience and SIE hasn’t really emphasized on that front for now, despite enormous success from Aniplex and Fate Grand Order which is also owned by Sony. In general, if Sony felt like keeping LoD relevant, they would have made a new entry for years now.

The only safe future I can consider is adding the original game on the new PS+

victor83fernandes said:

Sony doesnt have money for square enix

We're not in 2008 anymore. 

I'd rather have Bluepoint work on a LOD remake than Square.

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:

Square Enix would probably be something like 7-8B, and Sony has already promised investors they will be spending at least 10 billion for growth over the next 2 years. And they've made it clear that number is a minimum, if the right opportunity comes up, they are willing to spend more.

I think its a bit understated, but Sony went from near bankruptcy at the start of the last decade, leading them to focus on their entertainment pillars as they slowly reduced their debt, to tripling their market cap and increasing their profit margins significantly before the launch of the PS5. 

Has there been a better company turnaround in the last decade than Sony? 

Hynad said:
Spike0503 said:

Geez, what a mean spirited comment. At least the other people saying "Nope, good talk" are less condescending.

Honestly I'm not sure what the Square purchase would mean for a LoD remake/reboot but I'd say that stranger things have happened. Crash, Shenmue, Mega Man and Valkyrie Profile were allowed  dead franchises until the people in charge gave them a chance.

Geez, it’s not like he’s been at it since his very first day here, years ago. He brings it up every other day, FFS!

So what? Nothing wrong with being passionate about something you care about. 

You could always ignore the topics that annoy you, that's something I do.

Spike0503 said:
Hynad said:

Geez, it’s not like he’s been at it since his very first day here, years ago. He brings it up every other day, FFS!

So what? Nothing wrong with being passionate about something you care about. 

You could always ignore the topics that annoy you, that's something I do.

Do that for my comments as well then, not just topics.

BraLoD said:
Hynad said:

LOL, I'm living rent free in your head it seems, what a sorry person you are man, losing your shit when I basically don't even come to the site anymore, or even pay attention to you.

Grow up or just fuck off, or both, preferably.

You think you need to live in anyone’s head for people to notice how much you’re obsessed with that game, and barely ever talk about anything else? Get over your obsession driven self for a minute.

Surely, you choose to act like a meme and all of this is intentional. Otherwise, YOU have issues to sort out before telling anyone else to grow up. You’ve been stuck in 2001 forever now. 

BraLoD said:
Hynad said:

You think you need to live in anyone’s head for people to notice how much you’re obsessed with that game, and barely ever talk about anything else? Get over your obsession driven self for a minute.

Surely, you choose to act like a meme and all of this is intentional. Otherwise, YOU have issues to sort out before telling anyone else to grow up. You’ve been stuck in 2001 forever now. 

Anyway, if it was not obvious enough, read even just the poll options and think about it another time, actually, if you pay so much attention to me to be this bothered, that should be plain obvious for years now.

I truly love the game, and I love to talk about it, and my question was real on this thread, but what I do 95% of my time here has been pretty obvious, hence the joke-ish air of any and every poll I've ever done on this site.

But, letting the obvious explanation everybody else here but you doesn't need, as I said before to that pathetic overreaction of yours, just fuck off.

You have a problem with it? Ignore it, report it, scream on your pillow for all I care, but just fuck off.

I didn’t need an explanation.

But seeing as you gave me one, why did you take it like this if what I said was, based on your wording, pretty accurate? 
If you don’t like being told about how you convey yourself here, don’t convey yourself here.